What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks bait Hewat to make the switch

STEVE R

Juniors
Sharks bait Hewat to make the switch

www.smh.com.au
By James MacSmith
Thursday, April 20, 2006

In an escalation of the cross-code poaching war between rugby union and rugby league in-form Waratahs utility Peter Hewat has been approached by NRL club the Cronulla Sharks about switching codes.

With rugby's public courtship of Kangaroos centre Mark Gasnier dominating recent headlines, the Sharks' interest in the dynamic back, who is possibly on the verge of a Wallabies call-up, could be seen as league returning fire.
But there is one problem - Hewat is on contract until the end of the 2008 season and NSW coach Ewen McKenzie says the Waratahs have no intention of letting him go.

"We've heard there has been an approach but we're not concerned because we've got him contracted for another couple of years," McKenzie said. "In a way we see it as a bit of a compliment because we gave him a chance and he's really taken it up and they obviously see a bloke with a fair bit of ability.

"We know he has had an approach from a European club as well. He has had a slow start to the year but now he's displaying the form he showed last year. Pete is playing with less risk and more maturity this year and every game he is enhancing his prospects of playing at a higher level."

When contacted yesterday Hewat, who played rugby league as a schoolboy in Inverell, confirmed the interest from the rival code and reaffirmed his desire to play for the Wallabies.

"I have received an approach through my manager Ben Williams and I'm flattered by the interest but I'm really enjoying my football with the Waratahs and I'm very happy where I am - that's all I really want to say," Hewat said.
Cronulla chief executive Greg Pierce said Hewat's name had come up in club discussions about recruitment for the 2007 NRL season.

"We have been looking at a number of options for outside backs and his name came up," Pierce said. "Apparently he played league as a kid and he's a good goalkicker, which would make him more attractive, but we have not made any formal offer."

Sharks recruitment manager Theo Burgess added: "Peter Hewat was one of about six or eight names that we tossed up and if he was off contract or looking at switching codes we would be interested in him. But that would be a bit of a way down the track."

Hewat has been one of the Waratahs' best players this year and is a good chance to make his Wallabies debut this year.

After battling for years in Queensland club rugby, Hewat made a stunning Super 12 debut last season in which he was named rookie of the year and was the Waratahs leading pointscorer and tryscorer. After a slow start to 2006 he has continued that form this season, performances not lost on rugby league officials.

Wallabies coach John Connolly is looking at blooding Test debutants in the June Tests and Hewat is considered a good chance of making his international debut in the second Test against England in Melbourne or the Test against Ireland in Perth.

Waratahs boss Fraser Neill, who met with Gasnier on Tuesday and is close to tabling an offer to the Dragons star along with the ARU, said he expected the offer to Hewat to lead to increased cross code poaching attempts.
"I can fully understand why they are after a player of Pete's calibre but he's not going anywhere - he wants to play on the big stage," Neill said.

Macca

Coach
Atleast we are looking at 6 or 8 outside backs for next year. We bloody need em.

Macca said:
Atleast we are looking at 6 or 8 outside backs for next year. We bloody need em.

Macca I think you mis read what was said.
The comment was made that Hewat was one of 6 to 8 peoples names that were tossed up. Not that we were going to sign 6 to 8 backline players.

Macca

Coach
No I didn't mis read. I know thats what they meant. What I meant was that I am glad we are looking at outside backs because we need outside backs.

SharkWings

Juniors
We are no chance of getting him. He will be in the Wallabies squad for the tri-nations this year and his value will go thru the roof.

Awesome player.

Special K

Coach
He is like 28...

Our club needs to stop trying to cut corners and needs to spend money. Go all out and buy a backline. Take a risk on the cap rising - go stupid and spend overs. It is the only way out of this hole.

Covell, Scott etc are names that will never win you a ring.

cussy

Juniors
How arrogant are the Rah Rah's, i mean the coach says he is contracted to them till 2008....BIG DEAL, does that mean if the youngster wanted to experience league then they would deny him that??That hasn't stopped them from approaching leaguies in the past that have not been off contract.If he is as good as some mention, well, good luck i hope you guys pinch him.

White Poiner

Coach
Well, Seems like cronulla have a few players in there sights for next year..

I hope we actually catch a few good players. Because we really need them.

imasharkie

Coach
They won't come while supercoach is in charge and even if they do it would be for the huge ammount of money we throw at them.