What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks coach to Dragons

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
John Fleming knew what he was doing. Can you say the same about Doust?

There’s a BIG difference.

Doust got the job because of his father.

Whether we like him or not, Doust does not strike me as a people’s person and can be seen as a polarising figure.

With barely a word said relating to last seasons meltdown in not making the finals, his lack of transparency in addressing the season review demonstrated his complete contempt for us fans.

I trust our club will be better off with his exit.

getsmarty

Immortal
If flanno comes I’ll stop supporting. Under his watch the sharks have become the biggest grubs in the game.

He has just modeled their game off Melbourne...watch Prior...he was never that dirty...leans in with knees to the calf..steps on ankles...typical grubby stuff...

possm

Coach
John Fleming knew what he was doing. Can you say the same about Doust?

There’s a BIG difference.

Doust always knew what he was doing, he was feathering his nest for retirement and nothing was going to get in his way. He knew that if he could keep the old boys on the Board and within club administration in favour, he was secure in is project.

possm

Coach
I would have McGregor over Flanagan because I don’t believe Flanagan should have been allowed to coach ever again. Yes, there’s plenty of scope for jokes about ‘neither should McGregor’ har de bloody har.

The reality is this: Mary is an earnest, hardworking man who cares about his players, while Flanagan is a renowned merkin who would step over his own mother to get ahead. That’s fine - hell, it’s desirable - but add ‘drug cheat’ onto that and there’s no way I’d have him at the club. At least the storm just bought the best players, rather than trying to jack them up

I think most on here already know my preferences for coach in 2019 and beyond and neither Mary or Flanno are on that list. However, if I had to choose I would choose Flanno; only because he knows how to coach an NRL team.

possm

Coach
Doust got the job because of his father.

Whether we like him or not, Doust does not strike me as a people’s person and can be seen as a polarising figure.

With barely a word said relating to last seasons meltdown in not making the finals, his lack of transparency in addressing the season review demonstrated his complete contempt for us fans.

I trust our club will be better off with his exit.
I'm really not sure about our new CEO either. After all he is an old boy and he was Chairman of the Board when Mary was kept on. I don't think that even a down-turn in attendance would cause significant change within the club this year. WIN may advocate change if their 5 year plan is seen to be taking a huge hit but other than that it will be steady as she goes boys.

merahputih

Juniors
4th option. Get Jason Ryles from the Storm.
A bit out of left field, but when you think about it Ryles was approached by Bellamy to serve as assistant coach at the Storm, a pretty decent indication of his potential. He has gained a good apprenticeship under the best NRL coach in the business. Has to be a step up on the current guy.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
A bit out of left field, but when you think about it Ryles was approached by Bellamy to serve as assistant coach at the Storm, a pretty decent indication of his potential. He has gained a good apprenticeship under the best NRL coach in the business. Has to be a step up on the current guy.

It was meant to be a joke, but you're right, working under Bellamy must count for something. And unlike Young and Hornby he has at least worked outside of the Dragons system.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm really not sure about our new CEO either. After all he is an old boy and he was Chairman of the Board when Mary was kept on. I don't think that even a down-turn in attendance would cause significant change within the club this year. WIN may advocate change if their 5 year plan is seen to be taking a huge hit but other than that it will be steady as she goes boys.

You may have hit it on the head, Possum.

The club had an opportunity to bring itself forward into the year, 2018 by taking the higher, possibly the better business wise move with the other prospective buyer of the club but that may have threatened the current crop in the board..... so they chose the WIN bid for lessor dollars but higher job security for the old boys club.

That allows them to suggest a five year plan that will run out to ten years, with more of the same to come.

Mary may turn out staying longer than Doust!

I’m feeling quite nauseous with that thought.

Last edited:

71saintsimon

Juniors
I would take Flanagan any day over McGregor atlest he can say his won a gf something I highly doubt McGregor wil ever achieve the fact is 2018 can be considered as another failure the team didn't finish in the top 4 and key players where Poorly managed heading into the back half of year there are far beter coaches available currently then McGregor caoaches that have won premierships like Hasler and McGuire, McGregor has had five years no other club would of carried him that long and he should of never been resigned after the disaster of previous years the fact that they threw a good roster at him that limped into the semi finals doesn't say much about McGregor

WepnutV

Juniors
No problem whatsoever, as you have said a misunderstanding. But to your question - Flanagan without any hesitation, Mary has illustrated his lack of ability in so many facets of coaching. Great to see the efforts shown by the Dragons in their final 2 games , however I believe that was mainly due to the ' core ' players willing the team on - hypothetical speaking that is .
No it had to do with mary giving the team a spray ... But you believe whatever you want

dannyt

Coach
He played for the Dragons, so yes, he’s an old boy.
We might have a difference of opinion.

I'm not for a blanket ban against all ex-players taking up coaching ranks. The best person for the job is my philosophy.

I'm against ex-players taking up these positions simply because they are ex-players. mary is an example.

Others, over the past 40 years, have done an admirable job- Bath and Smith are 2 examples. However, in these cases, they left the fold and learnt their trade elsewhere, came back and were successful. Flanno is in this category- an ex-player who left the fold and became a decent FG coach, albeit with some distasteful personal traits.

An improvement on mary, certainly an old boy, but one who has proven himself a better coach than mary could ever hope to be.

I wouldn't want him as first choice, but as I've said before, take him in a heartbeat if forced choice between him and mary.

Dragsters

First Grade
I would have McGregor over Flanagan because I don’t believe Flanagan should have been allowed to coach ever again. Yes, there’s plenty of scope for jokes about ‘neither should McGregor’ har de bloody har.

The reality is this: Mary is an earnest, hardworking man who cares about his players, while Flanagan is a renowned merkin who would step over his own mother to get ahead. That’s fine - hell, it’s desirable - but add ‘drug cheat’ onto that and there’s no way I’d have him at the club. At least the storm just bought the best players, rather than trying to jack them up

Agreed.

FLAN-NO!!!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We might have a difference of opinion.

I'm not for a blanket ban against all ex-players taking up coaching ranks. The best person for the job is my philosophy.

I'm against ex-players taking up these positions simply because they are ex-players. mary is an example.

Others, over the past 40 years, have done an admirable job- Bath and Smith are 2 examples. However, in these cases, they left the fold and learnt their trade elsewhere, came back and were successful. Flanno is in this category- an ex-player who left the fold and became a decent FG coach, albeit with some distasteful personal traits.

An improvement on mary, certainly an old boy, but one who has proven himself a better coach than mary could ever hope to be.

I wouldn't want him as first choice, but as I've said before, take him in a heartbeat if forced choice between him and mary.

Ask McGregor, he’ll tell he was (and is) the best candidate available at SGI.