What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks veteran sends warning over coach’s contract uncertainty

Frenzy.

Immortal
Link not available. Its from nospam

GettyImages-1029119046-696x464.jpg

Cronulla veteran Aaron Woods has turned the heat on his club surrounding the future of John Morris, urging the club to make a decision on the coach’s future.

Morris remains off-contract beyond the 2021 NRL season despite coaching the Sharks to back-to-back finals appearances since his appointment in 2019.

Cronulla are hopeful they can lure legendary coach Craig Bellamy up from Melbourne at the end of the season, but remain a miniscule chance of signing the Storm mastermind.

Failing that, rumours have swirled that Shane Flanagan, who preceded Morris as coach of the Sharks, could return to the club after serving his ban from the NRL for his involvement in the club’s supplements scandal.

However, Woods wants to know what’s going on beyond this season, telling Nine Newsthat the longer the uncertainty drags on, the more it could hurt the club.

“It’s important, we need to know what’s going on… It’s the hardest thing for him, all the boys are going really well and everyone’s playing for each other,” he said.

“I went through it at the Tigers, you don’t know your coach is going to be, and playersdon’t want to come and sign and if they don’t know who the coach is going to be.

“If you don’t know who your coach is going to be, are players going to come or re-sign?… They just want to know who’s going to be here.”

Morris sought a contract extension late last season, but was rejected by the Cronulla board.

Currently sitting with an even record of two wins and two losses, the Sharks will be looking to earn a further two points this weekend when they face the third-placed Roosters on Saturday.

Stake Removed

First Grade
But I bet if sharks put contract in front of woods now for $500k per year for next 2 he would sign no matter the coach

But I bet if sharks put contract in front of woods now for $500k per year for next 2 he would sign no matter the coach

Of course! Who wouldnt at his age? But they haven't even decided who the coach will be so that's not going to happen is it ?. Ridiculous hypothetical!

taipan

Referee
My reading ,the club is thinking they are in with a strong chance to get Bellyache,so they must have offered him the kitchen sink.

carinashark

First Grade
Bellamy would love a player like Woods..............I recon he will take some time off, have a look at the NFL, maybe a year . Let the media froth a away while we win a few premierships. Then come back to Storm.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Last week Woods said he would be open to going back to Tigers.
Now this week this comment.
Where do you want to play ??
Or to me just seems about the money.
I have this feeling Woods would not bleed for the jersey

Last week Woods said he would be open to going back to Tigers.
Now this week this comment.
Where do you want to play ??
Or to me just seems about the money.
I have this feeling Woods would not bleed for the jersey

Like Maloney? who spat the dummy and left for dollars ?
Or Ennis, ?who doesnt hang around too much.
Even Luke lewis was forced out of panthers before he came here . Its good to have some with a passion for the club .Its getting few and far between . But You wont win a premiership , if thats the only necessary criteria. Unfortunately as long as they are motivated , whether by money , lifestyle, mateship,..desire to win Premeirship, club loyalty ,team loyalty ,or whatever... its fine by me. lets see who are the Cronulla juniors that will bleed for the club ..... Ummm Chad,......flanno jr? Cherry?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I’ve had my crystal ball out and all is good. Bomber to be re-signed next week for 2 years after a comfortable win against the Rorters.....and a string of players to re-commit over the following 2-3 weeks to the good guys on the back of Bombers retention. Bellyache to commit to the Storm for one more year as head coach before taking on the new coaching director role at the new Brisbane franchise.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Like Maloney? who spat the dummy and left for dollars ?
Or Ennis, ?who doesnt hang around too much.
Even Luke lewis was forced out of panthers before he came here . Its good to have some with a passion for the club .Its getting few and far between . But You wont win a premiership , if thats the only necessary criteria. Unfortunately as long as they are motivated , whether by money , lifestyle, mateship,..desire to win Premeirship, club loyalty ,team loyalty ,or whatever... its fine by me. lets see who are the Cronulla juniors that will bleed for the club ..... Ummm Chad,......flanno jr? Cherry?
I expect them to bleed like Gall, Miller, Pierce for example

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Apparently Gal said on 100% Footy (or something like that) that the club has the intention of being a consistent top 4 side like the roosters and storm and the club are not currently sure than Morris is the coach that can do that. Wood’s public comments like this are probably not what they want

Apparently Gal said on 100% Footy (or something like that) that the club has the intention of being a consistent top 4 side like the roosters and storm and the club are not currently sure than Morris is the coach that can do that. Wood’s public comments like this are probably not what they want
That was a pure speech platform for Chairman Steve Mace . Mace rang Gal an hour before and asked him to say those words.
Gal was uncomfortable with it, but as a true clubman he put out the defence of the sitting chairman.

As 2012...Sharks Year surmises............A lot will hinge on this weeks game and how the team applies themselves, in attack and particularly in defense
Do well ....win or lose, I can see the Board moving quickly to extend Morris!

Eion

First Grade
Didn’t the club say they were going to wait 10 rounds or so? Why are people surprised after 4 rounds they haven’t made a call? Maybe if we rolled the eels and raiders or lost all 4 they could bring that forward...but at 2-2 going as expected...I don’t know why they’d move now.