What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Village development?

tiburon

Juniors
Any news on the whole "Sharks Village development" that was talked about in the press last year? Haven't heard anything in a while.

newman

First Grade
Expect to hear something very soon from the club asking members to vote on their preferred corporate partner for the development.

Ausguy

Coach
yeah Tib... i made a start on it a couple of months ago with one of the other forumites... you will notice there is a taped off area near the mangroves and a shovel leaning up against a post... we started but got tired and went inside for a cool beverage and some keno... i won $9.

Last edited:

reformedref

Juniors
Sharks newsletter received via email last night...

Dear Members
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]At the Annual General Meeting held earlier this year the Board took note and agreed with Members to better communicate with you on the short and long term plans of both the Leagues and Football Clubs.
I am now pleased, on behalf of the Board, to inform you of the current situation of the property development of Club land and secondly the financial performance of the Leagues Club.
The expressions of interest campaign to find a joint venture partner for the property development will be completed before the end of 2010. A large number of experienced development partners have looked at the development of both the land and the Leagues Club and a shortlist of these are currently finalising their proposals.
This process has highlighted a number of deficiencies with the current approved development option. Additionally current economic conditions bring into serious question the development funding model which had been previously considered by the Club.
It is the Board's belief that there remains a significant financial benefit available to the club in pursuing the development of the Clubs property assets. The discussions underway with potential joint venture partners are focused on resolving how best to achieve this.
When this process is completed the board will host an information meeting for all Members to have their say on the proposals.
One of the undertakings made to Members by the Board was to explore all avenues to improve the long term prospects of the Leagues Club.
The Board continues to explore all strategic options for the Leagues Clubs future. Each of these options are being examined with the common goals of delivering the ability to maximise the value in our land holdings ( including new and improved members facilities), but also to resolve as quickly as possible the excessive debt levels the Club currently carries, and also the trading difficulties the Club faces.
The Sharkies Leagues Club brand is preeminent in the Shire and one option being examined by the Board would be whether there are potential benefits to Members and our club in exploring the possible amalgamation of the Leagues Club with another licensed club within our catchment area or beyond.
The Board has concluded that if it does not explore this option the Leagues Club will, under its current financial model, only be able to provide limited improvements to facilities for our Members and face a prolonged period wherein its cash flows will be required to reduce debt and not be able to be used for the Club to reinvest in its business. The ability of the club to fulfil one of its primary functions which is to provide its annual grant to the Football Club, Juniors and NRL team in 2011 would also be severely restricted.
No decision or commitment on any future model, partnership or amalgamation with any other group or club will be made by the Board without a full information meeting for Members and a vote by Members on the future of the Leagues Club.
I must also clearly advise the Members that the Board is only canvassing a partnership model with other licensed clubs for the Cronulla Sutherland Leagues Club. The Board maintains our strong commitment to the members of the Cronulla Sutherland and District Football Club to remain as a standalone NRL club located in the Sutherland Shire.
The NSW Registered Clubs Act dictates that in order to canvass the potential of a proposed amalgamation and perform due diligence and research, the Board must advertise our proposal to all clubs within a 50 kilometre radius of the Sharks Leagues Club.
To ensure that we adhere fully with the Registered Clubs Act and the laws of all relevant regulatory bodies we will be placing an advertisement on the Clubs NSW website this week outlining our desire to explore a possible amalgamation of the Leagues Club with another licensed club. It is expected that placing such an advertisement will garner a significant number of responses.
On behalf of the Board I want to make it very clear that the Board is advertising its intention in order to meet its regulatory obligations under the Registered Clubs Act.
The Board appreciates your patience and support during this challenging and exciting time for the Leagues Club. We hope that you have appreciated the recent works and changes in the Club and we look forward to seeing you soon at the Club enjoying the new facilities and offers of entertainment.
Unfortunately it is not possible to answer all of your inquiries personally, however, if you wish to make any comment on the proposed future of the Leagues Club please do not hesitate to write to me at the Club or on email dfeening@sharks.com.au
Yours sincerely
Damian Irvine
Chairman
September 2010
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

jackal

Juniors
The Board has concluded that if it does not explore this option the Leagues Club will, under its current financial model, only be able to provide limited improvements to facilities for our Members and face a prolonged period wherein its cash flows will be required to reduce debt and not be able to be used for the Club to reinvest in its business.
So the debt passed over from the Football club has maxed out the servicability of the Leagues club, which obvioulsy will not provide or sustain growth for itself due to this. Let alone provide financial assistance to the footy club.

The ability of the club to fulfil one of its primary functions which is to provide its annual grant to the Football Club, Juniors and NRL team in 2011 would also be severely restricted.
See above.
No decision or commitment on any future model, partnership or amalgamation with any other group or club will be made by the Board without a full information meeting for Members and a vote by Members on the future of the Leagues Club.
Looking for other clubs to take over your profit centre can only mean one thing, and that is the football club is running well into the red because your profitable entity cant generate enough to assist and service the debts taken on.

It must be tough financial times for the football club but to explore options to join forces in the leagues club is a positive move. And reading between the lines of this fluff piece sent to members it would also be the last option.

It seems the development land and the leagues club will be the bargaining chips to obtain future strong financial assistance to the football club.

Get it done!

There have been many false dawns in regards to the development.

But I have to say this current management are starting to convince me that they are starting to hit home runs.

Seems behind the scenes they are not only working hard but smart.

Now obviously there are no details of the financials as yet. But I get the feeling that Sharks management have agreed to a concept that may not be a gold mine to the Club but definately something that is practical in getting off the ground and becoming a reasonable source of income to the Club.

Sounds like from the statement that we will get an initial cash payment in upfront which will relieve a fair bit of current financial pressure. This of course may have come at a cost to percentages of future income from the project but stability now is paramount.

Anyway it all sounds positive.

Can't wait for the details.

jackal

Juniors
One wonders what the price tag carries? The Leagues club is being prostituted out for sugar daddies to tip-in and fill the short fall of the Football club.

That is quite a consortium of potential developers. There are whispers that Parkview have intent (or a carrot as some may call it) to develop the land that Caringbah JRL occupy. Should make for interesting discussion at the next general meeting...smoke...mirrors.....more smoke :lol:

We are coming up to the 2nd year anniversary of this false dawn.

Can you believe it was almost two years ago when this got printed in the Telecrap.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/sharks-unveil-110m-saviour/story-e6frexni-1225697662911

My favourite line is this one from Brett Crowley. "We'll be going to the public in the next two weeks with a prospectus that will look to raise about $5 or $10 million from players, sponsors and fans who care about the Sharks,"

Two weeks???? Bahahahaha!!

Generalzod

Immortal
We are coming up to the 2nd year anniversary of this false dawn.

Can you believe it was almost two years ago when this got printed in the Telecrap.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/sharks-unveil-110m-saviour/story-e6frexni-1225697662911

My favourite line is this one from Brett Crowley. "We'll be going to the public in the next two weeks with a prospectus that will look to raise about $5 or $10 million from players, sponsors and fans who care about the Sharks,"

Two weeks???? Bahahahaha!!

The prospectus was printed 2 years ago, management are now waiting for the arrival of the Rosetta stone so we can make sense of the document..LOL.

carcharias

Immortal
Crikey.... Is this another beat up or is this the good news we were hoping for?

If it means the Sharks survive I am all for it.

The new housing development up behind Wanda is probably a good thing for the club as well.

Put a bloody big super duper super market in there as well.
There is bugger all around the immediate area.

Generalzod

Immortal
Well if this is all true Cronulla does have a bright future better than some other clubs in around the Sydney basin...

Quigs

Immortal
If it is all true then you can bet all the death riders of our club will not be saying too munch.

Also interesting to see that The Hartleys of Brookevale are having all sorts of troubles getting a sponsor for next year. Hmmmm it was big news in the papers when we were in a bit of strife. Let's see if the media morons run with it like they did with us.

Or is our possible great news be not so good news for some others.

Farkkkkk em thats what I say.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Ausguy

Coach
Me to quigsy. I won't death ride any club but all those "fans" that bagged our club can get farrked. All I want is a team to watch.

Latest posts