What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks vindicated in Gow case

fizman

Bench
From the official website: MEDIA RELEASE

SHARKS VINDICATED IN GOW CASE

Cronulla Sutherland Leagues and Football Clubs and the Chairman of both Clubs, Mr Barry Pierce, are delighted with the final outcome of the Peter Gow case. The final decision of Mr Justice Walton on costs completely vindicates the position of Mr Pierce and the manner in
which the Clubs conducted this protracted case.

In July 2002 Mr Justice Walton of the Industrial Relations Commission ordered that the Clubs pay damages to Mr Gow of $105,000 (plus interest). Mr Gow's claim against Mr Pierce was dismissed. The Clubs and Mr Pierce were extremely pleased with that result, which was significantly less than the $769,166 (plus interest and costs) which Mr Gow was seeking and less than the $140,000 (including interest plus costs) which the Clubs had offered Mr Gow in July 2001.

On 5 December 2003 Mr Justice Walton handed down his judgment in relation to the costs of the IRC proceedings. In his judgment Mr Justice Walton:-

1. Accepted the submission by the Clubs and Mr Pierce that because Mr Gow's claim
against Mr Pierce was dismissed, Mr Gow should pay Mr Pierce's costs of the proceedings
on the basis that "At no stage of the proceedings did [Mr Gow] formulate a specific claim against
[Mr Pierce]". His Honour therefore found that the joinder of Mr Pierce to the proceedings
was a "matter of grave concern".

2. Agreed with the Clubs that it was unreasonable for Mr Gow to not accept the settlement
offer of $140,000 (inclusive of interest plus costs) which was made by the Clubs and
Mr Pierce to Mr Gow on 4 July 2001 and therefore ordered that Mr Gow pay the Clubs'
party/party costs of the proceedings from 4 July 2001.

3. Rejected Mr Gow's argument that the Licensing Court proceedings (in which Mr Gow
accepted a five year ban from holding office in the Cronulla Sutherland Leagues Club and its subsidiaries or any other registered club in New South Wales) were relevant to determining
whether Mr Gow should have accepted the Clubs' settlement offer.

4. Accepted the Clubs' argument that Mr Gow had only been successful in relation to one
of the three limbs of his case.

5. Ordered that the Clubs pay only 80% of Mr Gow's party/party costs of the proceedings
up to and including 4 July 2001. This 20% discount was applied on the basis that Mr Gow's
"insistence that his conduct could not be classified as serious misconduct demanded the
expenditure of significant time and energy rebutting a position which should have been
conceded [by Mr Gow] with humility rather than fought with indignation".

This result may mean that the Clubs pay little if anything to Mr Gow in relation to his costs
of the IRC proceedings.

Thoughts???

Alan Shore

First Grade
we still have to payout $100,000 which is a failure on the baord's behalf as they said we'd be liable for nothing. Shows how little credibility they really have.

The 'Bring back Gow' campaign only continues to get stronger...

Despite the PR speak heading about vindication, I don't think either side comes out of this very well.

Gow proved his case against the club in one of his claims - ie the board stuffed up. The fact that the other two failed does not detract from that.

On the other hand, Gow pushed on with the full case even after an offer of settlement from the club in excess of what he got in the end. The judge's comments on the basis of his case against Pierce are also a bit embarrassing for him.

As for Tama's Bring Back Gow campaign, I hope you have the patience to keep it running for the next three and a half years. ;-)

Alan Shore

First Grade
Dean Moriarty said:
Despite the PR speak heading about vindication, I don't think either side comes out of this very well.

Gow proved his case against the club in one of his claims - ie the board stuffed up. The fact that the other two failed does not detract from that.

On the other hand, Gow pushed on with the full case even after an offer of settlement from the club in excess of what he got in the end. The judge's comments on the basis of his case against Pierce are also a bit embarrassing for him.

As for Tama's Bring Back Gow campaign, I hope you have the patience to keep it running for the next three and a half years. ;-)

Whatever it takes to get rid of the Pierce nepotists & co., whatever it takes.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Well I don't think many saw this one coming.
I think that is a saving of around 600k.
In business terms, that is the vindication.
Not if you were wrong or right.

Foz

Bench
Can someone put this in simple terms so I can understand it? Does this mean Gow gets $100k plus 80% of his court costs? Whats 80% add up to?
Will this be appealed and cost more? Does Gow have to pay anything to the club?
I have a feeling there is 2 spins on this.
The thing is a lot of Gow supporters will see this as $100k for ripping up a Dragqueens jumper.
Come to think of it the average yobbo in the street will see this as well.
The club will say they saved $40k. (pass over that 80% thing).
The average Joe Blow couldnt care less about the rulings only what it will cost.

Frenzy

Juniors
Frenzy's dissection

Point 1 - take as read

Result - Sharks only pay Gow $105k BUT Gow wins the fight. To a man like Gow with money coming out of his ring winning is more important than the amount. To forego the $140k offer made by the Sharks obviously means he got $35k less but they didn't get away untarnished and they were hardly vindicated.

Point 2

So Mr Walton reckons Gow shoulda taken the $140k. f**k off judge, it wasn't about money.

Point 3

As above

Point 4

deeerrrrrrrrr, but they still had to pay him out on the part of the case that mattered.

Point 5

Little if anything? 80%! If his costs were $100k which they could easily of been if he used a QC they have to pay another $80k on top of the $105k

Get real whoever from the club wrote this propaganda. You lost! You farged up!

Theres no saving there reefy. The club expected to pay NOTHING. THey never would of budgeting on paying what Gow was supposedly asking. They would of more likely budgeted ZERO dollars as they thought they'd win.

Absolute piss weak piece of transparent propaganda no doubt aimed at gaining support and getting the heat off. I bet they are really spewing at having to pay the 80% costs :lol: :lol:

frenzy, I agree with what you say, its hardly a victory, but I have a couple of questions to ask.

What amount in $$$ was Gow offered or expecting ?
How long was he to receive that money ?

The $100k plus costs could well be cheaper than if they'd kept him on as a "consultant".

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Well I am not going to make myself look like an idiot again in front of objective one or Eskimo.
So I will limit my take on it.
I would like to know what party/party cost include & exclude.
Why is it limited to that date?

Also, we all seem to be keen to jump on Gowies band wagon here, but wasn't he really only doing the same as Ando?
If the board gets out of the Ando case as I expect they will, I think they will be looking at payouts of around 4-500k in total as compared to the near 2 million being sought.
Plus, they have prevented a loss of the liquor license for an extended period by appeasing the licensing board.
And the biggie, they have also prevented a 5-10 million dollar disaster, for the coming 5 years.
But, there is the issue of the development still.

Did the dodgy club write that up?

Ordered that the Clubs pay only 80% of Mr Gow's party/party costs of the proceedings
up to and including 4 July 2001

THE CLUB PAID COSTS
How is that vindication?!?!!?

It reminds me of when Richard Carleton got done for plagiarism on 60 minutes, and said he was very happy with the verdict.

Or when John Laws and Alan Jones got nailed by the ABA and Lawsy insisted that the ABA hadnt found any wrongdoing against Laws and Jones.

I'd prefer to see a neutral report of the case.

Frenzy

Juniors
Bastard_Squad said:
frenzy, I agree with what you say, its hardly a victory, but I have a couple of questions to ask.

What amount in $$$ was Gow offered or expecting ?
How long was he to receive that money ?

The $100k plus costs could well be cheaper than if they'd kept him on as a "consultant".

It would of been a one off payment I imagine B_S and the original post here says the figure he was expecting was $769,166. So I guess you're getting at how much a year. No idea myself.