What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson signs for 2022

Leber

Bench
Massive lol@sharks here. Paid 3 million bucks for him and got f**k all. Then comes back home for peanuts.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Because no one else is coming. We know Shaun can play. It's about his attitude, and body as to whether he succeeds here. I don't think anyone is saying 'f**k yeah, this is a great signing, premiers baby' but it's the closest we're going to get to an international class half. And I think he'll enjoy playing with Walsh.
and hes not on a mill a year this time. thats another very big plus for us, allows us to add quality in the other spine positions

Tongue

Juniors
Our cap must be looking healthy.

I keep saying, throw the cheque book at Brandon Smith.
A Walsh, Johnson, CHT & Smith spine makes me shake like a shitting dog.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Massive lol@sharks here. Paid 3 million bucks for him and got f**k all. Then comes back home for peanuts.
Not true. Well the bucks part is, Shaun played his worst game V Manly at Brookvale. He has some sharks blood, and it will serve him well.

but yeah lol at us, we let him go. Filthy I tell ya, and mean it.

This is wonderful. Brown and the management take a lot of heat around here but to me this year they have clearly identified the problems (prop wingers, crap halves) and gone to great measures to resolve them.

SJ is not the solution in the halves but he is an excellent temporary measure to buy us time until we can fix things. It's also a real feel-good story to have the prodigal son coming home and I still think he has a few good years left in him.

As for his attitude, who of us wasn't arrogant in our 20s? Still, I get the impression that he has learnt a lot from his time at the Sharks and changed immeasurably as a player and a person. A lot of the talk about his attitude is often hearsay anyway, and apart from his "youse got what you wanted" moment I have found him to generally conduct himself pretty well.

Welcome home Shaun. Imagine the fairy tale it will be if you lead us to a premiership!

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
dunno why everyone is so excited. Not as if we were going any good when he was here. Can remember plenty of posts about "Princess". Maybe you all have short memories.
At what he was on you get the frustration… but at 450k with what else is available that’s a steal.

I mean the Warriors benefit from him coming home because they know he can take unders as his high profile in NZ gives him a better opportunity to make that money back in third party agreements.

they just need to make sure they have the ability to upgrade Reece Walsh as they will probably have to pay overs to keep him from returning to the Broncs

taste2taste

Juniors
Shaun has been brilliant for the Sharks. This new fast style of game should really suit him once he's 100% free of injuries.
DWZ is a great signing, don't pay much attention to current form, not even Dally Messenger could save that dogs team.
Rumours still around about Matt Lodge joining the club ( regardless of what you think of him personally, as a player he's right up there )
Warriors building to a HUGE 2022! On paper they have one of the best teams in the comp, just got to get it to come together on the field.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Have found his performances at the Sharks pretty uninspiring. Move laterally, turn man back on the inside, rinse and repeat. But at the same time he's a relatively steady hand and can do a few things pretty well. And he seems to have improved defensively? Still, it's rare to see him take the line on and demonstrate the instincts that made him one of the best ball runners in the game.

Have found his performances at the Sharks pretty uninspiring. Move laterally, turn man back on the inside, rinse and repeat. But at the same time he's a relatively steady hand and can do a few things pretty well. And he seems to have improved defensively? Still, it's rare to see him take the line on and demonstrate the instincts that made him one of the best ball runners in the game.
He was giving the Dally Ms a good shake before he got injured for them last year!

Big Marn

Juniors
Snapped his achilles last year and already has a hamstring this year. How many games you reckon we will get from him. A lot of players never fully recover from achilles. google it.
$450K might not be the bargain you all think it is.

Big Marn

Juniors
This new fast style of game should really suit him once he's 100% free of injuries.
Good luck with that. With the new fast paced game, have you seen how many injuries there have been this year? And you are saying he will suddenly be immune to it all considering his injury history.

TheDMC

Bench
Might all go to custard, but could also be one helluva redemption story.

Considering our current halves and what's available, getting SJ at 450k is fantastic.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Snapped his achilles last year and already has a hamstring this year. How many games you reckon we will get from him. A lot of players never fully recover from achilles. google it.
$450K might not be the bargain you all think it is.

When guys like Brooks, Milford and Taylor are million dollar halves, just being able to kick a ball probably makes you worth 450K. I know those guys were given big deals with expectations they'd deliver, but basically halves are expensive. Townsend is getting 650k a year for the Cowboys.

We're never going to sign a top half unless we get lucky in a Maloney situation again. 450K isn't a very big investment, and two years isn't long to be on the hook if it does turn to shit. What's the alternative to the clear halves problem we have?

Benek

Juniors
I’m in two minds about this.

Pros:
Good price
Better game management than our current halves
Better kicking game than our current halves
Better goal kicking too
Experienced player who’s more mature than when he left us

Cons:
Injury prone
Inconsistent
Hardly takes on the line at all, no longer a running threat
Takes the sideways run and lazy backwards shovel pass too often. Doesn’t push forwards over advantage line

Conclusion: won’t win us a premiership but better than what we have now at a great price. Needs to be paired with an aggressive running half or running hooker. I’m cautiously optimistic.