What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson signs for 2022

waipiro

Juniors
With who is currently available he is probably the best option out there and at that price its a steal I reckon. just his short kicking game and passing game on its own is going to be a huge plus on current situation. Buys us a couple of years to find a good long term option as none on the market at the moment.

Leber

Bench
With who is currently available he is probably the best option out there and at that price its a steal I reckon. just his short kicking game and passing game on its own is going to be a huge plus on current situation. Buys us a couple of years to find a good long term option as none on the market at the moment.
Exactly.

Our halves are shit. No question and we need an improvement in that area. Of all the off contract halves that were/all available, I'd only have Reynolds over him (and he was waaay more expensive).

Sure, he's a bit older and sure, he's no Cronk. But Johnson at 450k, is by far, the best option we have available.

Don't know how anyone could not think this was a good idea.

JJ

Immortal
I'd still push for Widdop. Johnson and Widdop could work
I’d be happy with him, presumed they’d gone off him given SJ. Really need to develop CHT

Mr Angry’s suggestion of Hodgson is interesting, I like Egan but that’s a step up

JJ

Immortal
I’m in two minds about this.

Pros:
Good price
Better game management than our current halves
Better kicking game than our current halves
Better goal kicking too
Experienced player who’s more mature than when he left us

Cons:
Injury prone
Inconsistent
Hardly takes on the line at all, no longer a running threat
Takes the sideways run and lazy backwards shovel pass too often. Doesn’t push forwards over advantage line

Conclusion: won’t win us a premiership but better than what we have now at a great price. Needs to be paired with an aggressive running half or running hooker. I’m cautiously optimistic.

bang on…. Or needs to be told to dig into the f**king line

waipiro

Juniors
bang on…. Or needs to be told to dig into the f**king line

The threat of Walsh looping behind the play will create space for SJ to exploit, Or he plays short to the lead runner, or he uses Walsh top do his thing.
And both Walsh and SJ have great cut out passes, left and right, to create extra attacking threats.
The big unknown will be how many games SJ can play each year without injury becoming too much of a factor....

nswarrior

Juniors
WTF WOW 🤩

MIND BLOWN.

finally great news and the biggest period of signing in Warriors history.

what’s happening? When the phone was ringing hot did George reply take 2 years to get back to the players

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Kodi awesome?
Yeah I think the consensus is that if he has a kicking half and isn’t meant to be our main point of attack, he goes pretty good. Getting SJ, someone with a good kicking and attacking game as well as Walsh chipping in from the back means that Kodi should become far more effective himself

Alan Johnson

Juniors
He was giving the Dally Ms a good shake before he got injured for them last year!

Maybe so, from what I've seen of his time at the sharks there has not been a lot of evidence of a Dally M half. He was leading the comp in try assists last year I believe, but that's only part of the picture.

SJ is often directionless on the 5th tackle (so he'll fit right in at the Warriors), and regularly makes poor choices in ad lib situations.

However despite my misgivings I'm pleased with the signing. He's an upgrade over what we have now. But let's not forget that many round these parts were happy to see the back of him...

One Warrior

Bench
Totally blown away by this news in a good way, Johnson with Reece Walsh in the same team is a tantalising prospect.

sup42

Juniors
I was never a fanboi. Even back in his under twenties days, there were a few things about his play that I could never reconcile what we got out of him with the million dollar price tag.

But he is one of ours, so when he went to the Sharks I kept following him, because I knew he was an excellent player talent wise, and I was curious about whether he could learn to organize a game in an Aussie system.

He is a much better player than the one who left us, and he is coming at a price where the Warriors have won the long game.

The Warriors never wanted to lose him. He refused to take seven hundred and fifty grand.

Now the boy is coming home the man, he is the right type of half now, the player this team is missing, and the Warriors won here, Shaun has had to humble himself, which is a credit to him, and a credit to the Warriors culture.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The games you lost to us and the cowboys, the halves couldn’t have organised a shot at the droppie any worse. Last week SJ kicked a match winning field goal, that is already a massive step up in that department

Rich102

Staff member
I’d be happy with him, presumed they’d gone off him given SJ. Really need to develop CHT

Mr Angry’s suggestion of Hodgson is interesting, I like Egan but that’s a step up
I thought they changed to SJ because Widdop's family wanted to stay in Australia.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
He is a much better player than the one who left us, and he is coming at a price where the Warriors have won the long game.
Given everything, if that’s the case then yet another huge question over the Warriors coaching and development processes?

Latest posts