What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheffield Shield 2018/19

simmo1

First Grade
He played well, sure, but how he even gets to NSW without ever scoring a century is madness. It's actually a Marsh like selection choosing a guy because he looks good rather than the runs hes scored.

Guys like Nick Bertus and Daniel Solway are piling on runs in 1st grade and futures leagues and don't get a look in because they've been discarded at 23.

I'm not denying that Edwards may well have plenty of talent, but imo he needs to earn his place.

Bazal

Post Whore
He played well, sure, but how he even gets to NSW without ever scoring a century is madness. It's actually a Marsh like selection choosing a guy because he looks good rather than the runs hes scored.

Guys like Nick Bertus and Daniel Solway are piling on runs in 1st grade and futures leagues and don't get a look in because they've been discarded at 23.

I'm not denying that Edwards may well have plenty of talent, but imo he needs to earn his place.

Well he's got a state century and averages 55 at the beginning of his state career, which I would say should count for more than a grade hundred. He'll have plenty of time to get a grade hundred when players come back for NSW no doubt, or when form leads to him being left out.

The kid got a chance and took it. I'm more than happy to see that rewarded with a shot at Shield level. If guys like Solway continue to churn out runs, then they will take his place when/if form dictates. Don't know much about Bertus but I saw Solway make a classy hundred in Canberra last season and he certainly looked likely.

I'd have thought Nick Larkin would be a much better candidate for outrage and replacement, in his 20th Shield game and now averaging 23.1

simmo1

First Grade
He's got a OD century. I don't think that should really count towards Sheild selection any more than an ODI century should count for test selection.

Agree Larkin should be on his last legs. But he was Bradman like at lower levels.

Anyways Edwards batting now, if he tons up I'll claim it was my words spurring him on.

Bazal

Post Whore
Look I think the more pertinent thing right now is that Matty Wade is bowling.

Angling for Mitch Darshes all rounder gig?

Bazal

Post Whore
NSW 5/285 at stumps, thanks to a fantastic century stand between Sangha and Edwards. I feel like we might be saying that quite a bit in the future, for NSW and probably Australia, they've both looked excellent.

Both have scored their maiden Shield fifties too. Hopefully at least one of them can go on with it and get us up around 400

Bazal

Post Whore
Jack Edwards gets the maiden hundred and then does a Phil Jaques on 101....excellent knock nonetheless, and a 180 run stand for the 6th wicket. 18 years old...

Sangha on 94 at the moment

Bazal

Post Whore
And a maiden Shield hundred for Sangha....two teenagers, two hundreds. Good signs for the future, they both have tonnes of ability

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
now they'll both get thrown in the T20 squad

Hughes did pretty well and Patterson another 50, if only he could convert he would get more recognition

Bazal

Post Whore
I just don't think Patterson quite has what it takes to go to that next gear, honestly. People called me names a few seasons ago when I said it, but I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Good FC player, I don't see him ever being a genuine Test option. Although the way we''re going, if he gets 50 and out in half his matches he's still better than a few in the side so who knows?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He was the youngest ever player to make a ton for the Blues when he was 18, he is 25 now, probabaly should have done a bit better

Bazal

Post Whore
He was the youngest ever player to make a ton for the Blues when he was 18, he is 25 now, probabaly should have done a bit better

I just feel like he's a bit of an uninterested player. He started so well and he just looks like the kind of player who's sat back on that rather than working hard to go even better.

He's young enough to kick himself into gear, but he hasn't in 55 Shield matches so it seems unlikely IMO. Maybe he gets a desperation pick in the Test side over the summer with injuries or something and that kicks him into gear, you never know.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
gee Sanga has that sub continent wristy technique even tho he was born here

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Jason Sangha'a hundred was the worst hundred i've ever seen,majority of the runs edges through the offside

Deadset looks like a tailender when he tries to play through the offside

TheParraboy

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if Austin Waugh makes it to the Aussie side before Sangha
I think he is still only 17, but the talent and pedigree is there.

NSW v QLD today in Canberra

Another chance for Renshaw to post some runs

Latest posts