What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheffield Shield 2018/19

Bazal

Post Whore
Pissed that this is my Friday on.

The Aussie attack is in action at Manuka. Although NSW are batting

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How does Nick f**king Larkin keep getting picked for NSW???

He makes Greg Mail look like Michael Slater.

Bazal

Post Whore
Not sold on his technique but at least he has already scored a ton, Larkin has been around for years and hasn’t looked like getting close.

It was a facetious callback to a comment from the last shield round, before the Edwards/Sangha partnership.

Those two will play for Australia someday. Larkin is balls.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It was a facetious callback to a comment from the last shield round, before the Edwards/Sangha partnership.

Those two will play for Australia someday. Larkin is balls.
LOL!! Sorry Baz it’s been a big week. I can see Edwards playing ODI and 20/20 cricket for Aus. Sangas playing all formats.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Edwards can tie a batsman down, useful ODI bowler but I dont see him as a strike bowler and certainly not an ODI batsman, more of a 4 day batsman, however he is very young, 18 or so so he has some developing to do.

Sanga at his age already has more shots in his armoury from what I have seen.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Edwards can tie a batsman down, useful ODI bowler but I dont see him as a strike bowler and certainly not an ODI batsman, more of a 4 day batsman, however he is very young, 18 or so so he has some developing to do.

With his technique as it stands I reckon Edwards would struggle on anything other than a road.

Another big front footer, typical rubbish modern day technique.

Bazal

Post Whore

You do know Jack Edwards is a batsman who trundles a few overs out?

And Mickey is a bowler?

Just the way you lead with his bowling is confusing

Bazal

Post Whore
With his technique as it stands I reckon Edwards would struggle on anything other than a road.

Another big front footer, typical rubbish modern day technique.

I've got just as many concerns over Sangha's technique at this stage. The way he slices so much behind square on the offside is a worry, not getting to the ball entirely and still pushing his hands through it.

Anyway, technique is overrated. Edwards is tall and getting forward makes sense for someone who might struggle to cover full deliveries. He'll have to tweak it slightly, but he's a kid.

They'll both learn, can't expect a teenager to have a perfect technique. I can see them both playing Tests, especially with our batting stocks the way they are. Whether they become permanent fixtures or not is another question.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I've got just as many concerns over Sangha's technique at this stage. The way he slices so much behind square on the offside is a worry, not getting to the ball entirely and still pushing his hands through it.

Anyway, technique is overrated. Edwards is tall and getting forward makes sense for someone who might struggle to cover full deliveries. He'll have to tweak it slightly, but he's a kid.

They'll both learn, can't expect a teenager to have a perfect technique. I can see them both playing Tests, especially with our batting stocks the way they are. Whether they become permanent fixtures or not is another question.
Fair points Baz, both 19 so still plenty of time for the improve their techniques.

I remember MJ Clarke was a slicer through point and the slips as a young bloke as well.

mozza91

Coach
Classic Moises. Talented enough to be a long term Test bat but watch him fail to get 50 in his next 10 shield digs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Might explain why he struggles for consistency

Moises Henriques opens up about his battle with mental illness
By Leigh Sales, Callum Denness and Nadia Daly
Updated Thu at 11:45pm

The NSW captain had a loving wife, a multi-year contract and a new home by the beach. His dog Moreton, a four-year-old Labrador, even had his own Instagram page.

Henriques knew how good he had it too, which made the anxiety and barrage of negative thoughts he was suffering all the more distressing.

"I remember waking up the day before a Shield game and for no reason whatsoever started breaking out in tears," Henriques told 7.30.

"My life couldn't have been better.... I live in a really nice suburb, the beach is 500 metres away, I've got a fiance who I trust and [who] loves me ... and a great bunch of friends, a great bunch of support networks, and here I was weeping into my own hands.

"It was just bizarre."

PHOTO: Moises and Krista Henriques with their dog, Moreton. (ABC News: Simon Beardsell)

A prodigious young player, cricket gave Henriques a career but no joy.

"I'd convinced myself that cricket was the enemy, because I'd created this monster because I was so afraid of failure, I was so afraid of missing out," he said.

"I was blaming cricket for my anxiety and I wanted to do well so much that it just took over. It just wasn't healthy at all."

The pressure he put himself under was so intense he considered giving the game away entirely when he was 27.

"Physically I couldn't have been any healthier, couldn't have been stronger or fitter, and I couldn't have been batting or bowling better than I was at the time. I'd just had no enjoyment of playing the game," he said.

The nights before matches were sleepless and the mornings worse. Realising he had a problem, he began seeing a psychologist and working on a gratitude journal.

"I felt like I'd outsmarted it for however long with my little techniques and strategies that I'd use from the psychologist in the past."

But when his psychologist went on maternity leave, he began neglecting his mental health.

By December last year, he found himself in a psychiatrist's office being diagnosed with clinical depression.

"When he diagnosed me I felt like I lost, and I think that was the biggest problem because I'd almost turned competition into a life.

"I'd almost turned cricket and sport into me versus depression, or me versus my mental illness, and mental illness won and that made me feel horrible."

'I always felt like I had to be this strong person'
PHOTO: Moises Henriques in the cricket nets. (ABC News: Jerry Rickard)

Armed with a diagnosis, he told his brothers and met with his Sydney Sixers coach Greg Shipperd at the SCG, where he was due to play in a match the same evening.

Shipperd put his arm around Henriques. Henriques wept.

"Years' worth of tears had just started to pour out. I didn't want to see anyone, I just wanted to go home. I was embarrassed to see my friends, I was embarrassed to see my team mates, I was ashamed and didn't want them to see me, and so that's when I was like, I can't play tonight so I left."

Henriques stepped down as captain of the NSW team and dedicated himself to getting better, reading intensively on the subject and having regular counselling.

He said he knows what a privileged position he's in, with an understanding employer and all the support staff available to professional athletes, but Henriques believes everyone can take something away from his own journey.

Many years were spent quietly battling mental health on his own. Now that he's opened up about it, he's been inundated with support.

"If you want help, it's there," Henriques said.

"Letting yourself be vulnerable was the biggest thing for me. I always felt like I had to be the strong person that people turn to, but it's amazing that if you just let yourself be vulnerable for a little bit how much, how good, the human race is.

"So many people put up their hand and wanted to help me."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...about-his-battle-with-mental-illness/10501446

TheParraboy

Staff member
I suffered from anxiety many years ago and can relate to Moises

Used to freak out as felt like I was gonna just collapse at time for no reason. I couldn’t go up and down escalators for fear of fainting. At times I’d wake up my head would be spinning a million miles and was going to pass out. It was horrible and frightening to live like that.

Went to my doc couple of times, and like Moises was fit as, did lot of tests. He nutted out it was the job I was at that was a main contributor and told me to get out. Week later I walked from that job after another attack and never suffered anxiety again.

Putting unnecessary stress and pressure on yourself can trigger it. Well it did with me. It didn’t help either there was unnecessary pressure and expectation to perform either.

I want to point out a little stress and pressure in ones life is not a bad thing. But when it snowballs out of control inside yourself as well as externally it can be a bitch to some mentally

Latest posts