What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheffield Shield 2022/23

Fangs

Coach
I just want to see more Jhye Richardson. Apparently a bruised heel for this shield game.

For the Ashes he has Neser and perhaps Boland ahead of him. At least he is younger. And maybe if he disposes of his evil brother Kane he might move a step closer to the test team.

NSW cricket is in crisis let's be honest the talent coming though atm is embarrassing.

There is something wrong with the pathways that they don't look like producing many players that look like playing for Australia in the next 2-3 years.
Agree 100%. Does not help when we ignore promising players and force them to find a career in another state. Take a squizz at this lot that our cricket bosses have allowed fly the coop over the past 10 years. Jackson Bird, Joe Mennie, Henry Hunt, Tim Ward, Nathan Ellis, Lawrence Neil-Smith. All these cricketers had or have the potential to play for Australia.

NSW pathways system is geared around white ball cricket. Any wonder we are not producing state and national quality red ball cricketers. Three other states to my knowledge have a robust red ball pathways system with players as young as 13 under the umbrella of their state's Premier Cricket (club) program.

Tim ward couldn't get a look in for NSW for years.
Tim had been a consistent top order bat for his Parramatta club from his young teens yet was not given a senior level tryout until 2019 with a paltry two Second X1 matches. In one match alone he score an 80 and a near 50. A year later he was poached by TASCricket.

Last edited:
Blues most experienced bats, Henriques, Patterson and Hughes having miserable matches. Henriques continues his abysmal season. Should have pulled the plug when on top after 20/21. Do it for him selectors if he does not retire season end..

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Pretty sure half the Australian team are from NSW including the entire bowling attack.

Crisis might be getting a bit carried away.

To be fair, they all came through about 10-12 years ago when Blues could field a B side and still win games

Aussie side could be quite NSW bare next 2-4 years when they start retiring, unless we start chirning the next decent crop through

Just look at this poor excuse for a batting side. 93 in first innings. 6/75 in second. Ok the deck has some gremlins, but a batsman with a sound technique should be able to negotiate it. Our biggest failing is against spin with blokes stuck to the crease.

Last edited:
To be fair, they all came through about 10-12 years ago when Blues could field a B side and still win games

Aussie side could be quite NSW bare next 2-4 years when they start retiring, unless we start chirning the next decent crop through
Out batting looks paper thin and wont improve any if our selectors continue to back bowlers over batsman. Last year all four contracted rookies were bowlers. This year three of them are. Why arent our promising batsmen getting the same chance to forge a first class career.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Time for a clean out.

Players like Henriques are never going to make it back into the Aussie team so why play him, same as Patterson.

Sheffield Shield should be competitive sure, but it is basically a pathway to the Aussie team and the selectors need to look at it that way.

Hughes maybe, but time to start selecting players under 25, not over 30s.

And clowns like Bailey who likes to pick the guys that he played with, need to go. He stuck with Finch for about a year too long yet when questioned he just kept referring to his record. Stop living in the past ffs.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So, although it's great to have NSW win trophies, the primary reason for state cricket is to produce players for the national side. if those players have moved to another state to progress than NSW are still doing their job.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So, although it's great to have NSW win trophies, the primary reason for state cricket is to produce players for the national side. if those players have moved to another state to progress than NSW are still doing their job.

When you produce as many players as NSW have, you can't fit them all into one team.

Been happening for ages, not many people realize that Alan Border and Ryan Harris were Bluebaggers

King-Gutho94

Coach
I believe there is an issue with the pathways.

Rugby League has finally tapped into the Polynesian talent in western Sydney for example.

But where are all the kids coming through from western Sydney with Asian heritage for example we are flushed with a big multicultural population all around Sydney and the Indian, Sri Lankan community have been here for a while now that we should have more kids born here of that heritage who love and breathe cricket aren't getting a chance or themselves into the elite system.

Are they being ignored because of there race. I hope not especially as its 2022 but there should be enough talent pool that these kids aren't being looked at or getting into the system properly.

I think something has seriously gone wrong that Usman Khawaja is the only player from Western Sydney with Asian heritage that has come through and made the Australian team.

Its only one factor in probably a lot of others around it.

But that's one issue that stands out for me. I would have thought we would have had more of a trickle coming through by now then just Tanveer & Jason Sangha who have established themselves as decent state cricketers with potential.

Iamback

Coach
I believe there is an issue with the pathways.

Rugby League has finally tapped into the Polynesian talent in western Sydney for example.

But where are all the kids coming through from western Sydney with Asian heritage for example we are flushed with a big multicultural population all around Sydney and the Indian, Sri Lankan community have been here for a while now that we should have more kids born here of that heritage who love and breathe cricket aren't getting a chance or themselves into the elite system.

Are they being ignored because of there race. I hope not especially as its 2022 but there should be enough talent pool that these kids aren't being looked at or getting into the system properly.

I think something has seriously gone wrong that Usman Khawaja is the only player from Western Sydney with Asian heritage that has come through and made the Australian team.

Its only one factor in probably a lot of others around it.

But that's one issue that stands out for me. I would have thought we would have had more of a trickle coming through by now then just Tanveer & Jason Sangha who have established themselves as decent state cricketers with potential.

Hunar Verma is on a development contract. Sandhu and Nair have recently played for NSW too

Latest posts