What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheffield Shield: NSW v Victoria at Newcastle 18-22 Dec

yappy

Bench
I hope Henriques doesn't get any silly ideas. Bat out the day, take the two points, and give them nothing.

We declared against Tas with Smith batting with the tail and ended up losing on first innings.

We declared against Qld with Khawaja and Smith destroying them and somehow allowed them to get a first inning lead and then roll us and win by 9 wickets.

We bat out those two innings and we'd be a fair chance of currently sitting second rather than 5th. No more charity.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I hope Henriques doesn't get any silly ideas. Bat out the day, take the two points, and give them nothing.

We declared against Tas with Smith batting with the tail and ended up losing on first innings.

We declared against Qld with Khawaja and Smith destroying them and somehow allowed them to get a first inning lead and then roll us and win by 9 wickets.

We bat out those two innings and we'd be a fair chance of currently sitting second rather than 5th. No more charity.
Agreed, the Vics could have declared and open the game up but they didn't so f**k them.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
There won't be a result, we needed to bowl Victoria out when we had them on the ropes. Now its about stats hunting.

Vics crawled to 311, should have declared and try and make a game of it. Not the Victorian way i suppose.

You mean declaring 250+ runs behind like last week against SA?

Victoria already have a 6 point cushion at the top of the table why would we give NSW a shot at any more than 2 points?

yappy

Bench
Hughes didn't add to his overnight total, but Jaques and Kawaja are building a solid partnership at almost 5 an over so maybe Henriques still wants to roll the dice.

aussies1st

Staff member
The yoyo effect of our opening stands. First Hughes gets runs then Jaques gets runs.

yappy

Bench
100 partnership up in 19 overs. Looks like we're trying to set a target.

Great to see Jaques in the runs too. Hope he goes on and posts a ton.

More runs from Kawaja too.

yappy

Bench
Another 50 from Usman and McGain going at over a run a ball.

It's good to be a Blue!

yappy

Bench
Jaques has his ton to remind the selectors that he is a proven run machine.

Whilst I'm a hugh fan of Hughes, I don't think Jaques should be forgotten. I'd like to see him get a look in on Boxing Day if Punter isn't fit, even in front of Hughes simply because Hughes has time on his side. Phil now has passed 12,000 FC runs at an average that only 50 odd batsmen in the history of the game have bettered. You don't just chuck that sort of ability away. We could get 4 or 5 really great years out of him, and with a side in transition he could be a very important cog.

Jaques is a nuffy in the field though and from all reports in this game Hughes isn't much better.

When you have a bowling attack that struggles to get 20 wickets you need all the help you can get from the fielders.

yappy

Bench
What reports are they? I know he spilled one catch, but he's hardly the first person to do that.

Jaques out going for the runs - 131 of 141. 400 runs at a smidge over 50 since coming back from injury. As for his fielding, it was certainly something he was working on and he'll never be a Ponting or a Mark Waugh, but he's no Tufnel either. His back problems might have affected that in the past, but if he's over them then I don't think his fielding is so bad as to count a 50+ average batsman out. He's taken 100 catches in FC cricket so he hasn't got feet for hands.

Khawaja has just brought up his ton.

yappy

Bench
Khawaja out for 107 and Henriques declares given the Victorians 386 to win.

Usman keeps making the runs.