What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shockingly bad movies you watched because they won awards etc

Aragorn

First Grade
the other day I watched "Little Miss Sunshine" the movie won / was nominated for various oscar awards a few years back - i remember the guy who played the old perverted grandpa also was nominated for an oscar as best supporting actor....

deadset I wasted 2 hours of my life watching that gibberish... there was another movie with Nicole Kidman where she won an oscar or it was nominated for best movie... "The Hours".... deadset you wont make it to the end of the film its that bad....

I heard the "Tourist" with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie was one to avoid... what else is out there?

gUt

Coach
"Gran Torino" springs to mind. Also not sure what awards it won but M. Night Thingaman's "Signs" was one of the most overrated, horrible films ever made.

Aragorn

First Grade
"Gran Torino" springs to mind. Also not sure what awards it won but M. Night Thingaman's "Signs" was one of the most overrated, horrible films ever made.

Yeah, Gran Torino was a crap movie although Clint Eastwood is a fine actor... those awkward scenes eg him lunching with the asians were cringe worthy...

Someone

Bench
i didnt mind gran torino tbh.

cant think of any bad movies ive watched the have won awards, i barely watch anything that isnt comedy.

Springs

First Grade
Did you just create a thread to whinge about movies you didn't like? Really?

I liked Little Miss Sunshine and Gran Torino, just because you don't like them doesn't make them bad or 'overrated'.

Titanic was two good storylines combined to make an average movie. The reason I dislike it is because it sullied the memories of actual passengers and made the two most famous names associated with the ship 'Jack' and 'Rose', instead of Captain Smith, Mr. Andrews, Murdock, Lightoller, Wilde, Astor, Guggenheim etc.

There are several movies that won best picture that I don't think should have, The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, Titanic, Chicago, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker etc, doesn't mean they are bad though. There are also others, such as the Tree of Life, that other people think are overrated but are among my favourites.

Big Pete

Referee
Precious: Seemed like the story was ripped straight from a bad television movie. Was just too melodramatic, an ethnic obese unlearned sexually abused single young mother who has AIDS battles her mother in trying to get her life in order. Just screams Oscar Bait.

Juno: I've dumped on this movie enough but in short I found the quirky nature of the movie contrived & the characters pretentious. Hated the title character too, she knew she was homewrecking & yet doesn't take any responsibility.

Inglorious Basterds: Not so much 'shockingly bad' just disappointing. Too much Tarantino indulgence interfered with an amazing cast & a story that didn't come together as well as what it could have.

Bazzi

First Grade
The Artist, won best picture so I thought I'd give it a go. Sorry but we're in the 21st century, there's no room for silent movies anymore.

Skcusy Bgur

Juniors
Little miss sunshine - brilliant, but that's my opinion.

For me one that springs to mind is Before Sunrise. Raved about it on JJJ back in the '90's. Waste of time.

hrundi99

First Grade
Did you just create a thread to whinge about movies you didn't like? Really?

I liked Little Miss Sunshine and Gran Torino, just because you don't like them doesn't make them bad or 'overrated'.

Titanic was two good storylines combined to make an average movie. The reason I dislike it is because it sullied the memories of actual passengers and made the two most famous names associated with the ship 'Jack' and 'Rose', instead of Captain Smith, Mr. Andrews, Murdock, Lightoller, Wilde, Astor, Guggenheim etc.

There are several movies that won best picture that I don't think should have, The English Patient, Shakespeare in Love, Titanic, Chicago, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker etc, doesn't mean they are bad though. There are also others, such as the Tree of Life, that other people think are overrated but are among my favourites.

Well said.

Tree of Life was amazing I thought. Thin Red Line was also very good, another Malick film.

Don't want to sound like a wanker but some folks just don't "get" certain films. I think they're so used to the lowest common denominator approach of most Hollywood flicks that when something different comes along they just aren't prepared to broaden their minds to allow themselves an opportunity to enjoy it.

I guess I'll get a bunch of people say that they're entitled to their opinions, which they are, but it's a shame that you don't give other films a chance with an open mind.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Well said.

Tree of Life was amazing I thought. Thin Red Line was also very good, another Malick film.

Don't want to sound like a wanker but some folks just don't "get" certain films. I think they're so used to the lowest common denominator approachof most Hollywood flicks that when something different comes along they just aren't prepared to broaden their minds to allow themselves an opportunity to enjoy it.

I guess I'll get a bunch of people say that they're entitled to their opinions, which they are, but it's a shame that you don't give other films a chance with an open mind.

The problem with films that are "different" is that they are going to appeal to a much smaller audience. Hollywood films are in the business of making money, that's pretty much it. The filmmakers themselves want to tell a story and entertain, but the bottom line always wins.

When you get films that are different it leaves itself open to personal taste a lot more than the mainstream Hollywood films which are designed to follow the same story pattern/character arc etc to give them the broadest audience possible.

So I wouldn't say it's a case of people not willing to give movies that are different a chance, but the opinions about those movies will be more varied and more extreme in the positive and negative than with mainstream movies.

Danish

Referee
I suppose I am just too stupid to "get" it, but i thought little miss sunshine sucked as well.

If I want to watch a movie with basically zero laughs and a stupid dance at the end I'll watch Napoleon Dynamite.

Red Bear

Referee
I thought Sideways was shithouse (not sure it won awards or not).

Gran Torino was really good I thought. Like Inglorious Basterds also.