What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should an Indigenous All-Star team be included in the next WC?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Greatest white kiwi player of all time - SBW. I don't care what he said about being a role model for islanders...he's 50% white, maybe more.

Like MMM said, all Maori's are part white too. I mean look at guys like Bronson Harrison, Greg Eastwood & Lance Hohaia.

We probably do need to develop a few more purebred white guys like Mannering, Foran, Freeman & Brent Todd though. Pity most of them go and play yawnion.

Again I still wouldnt call SBW white. Simply white is not a culture or ethnicity in NZ I am aware of. Only a colour.
But SBW is certainly not just an islander he is definately a kiwi with plenty of european heritage.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
No, but annually we should be playing an Indigenious Vs Maori, like we did last year. That was great for RL. Or even a Pacific Islanders team, wouldnt that be a top team.

As mentioned the World Cup is represented by countries.

I know the NZL Maori side were represented in the 2000 World Cup, but should never have happened. It was unfair for the countries who missed out, but could the same if the Aboriginal side made it.

roughyedspud

Coach
No, but annually we should be playing an Indigenious Vs Maori, like we did last year. That was great for RL.

how?

i watched the game in a bar in townsville last year and it only seemed to bring the worst out of the goons sat at the bar..."aaawww look at the little (preston campbell)/ big (jamal idris) black fella go....."

bgdc

Juniors
On topic, NO! but I suppose that then flags this question about the February game:

Indigenous players not already selected in that team should then be available for the All Star team? Or is there a racial divide there too?

The concept of the promotion is great but it has farther reaching repercussions, imho.

marlow

Juniors
Indigenous all stars vs pacific islands all stars vs european or nrl best of the rest all stars (essentially white) race of origin. It would make hitler proud, but it would be damn good to see

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
Segregating Aboriginals into a separate side for the world cup would put back reconciliation efforts 50 years. We are one country with many ethnicities. This will never happen and is without a doubt the worst idea ever conceived.

RedVee_8

Juniors

yakstorm

First Grade
It loves to pop up every few years... even when the 2000 World Cup was happening, we had the media literally crucifying the sport on one page for having two NZ teams, but then on another saying there should be an Indigenous Dream Team.

I can certainly understand the interest, you have a team of passionate and extremely talented players, united by their culture / heritage and who would have a realistic chance of winning the tournament. Unfortunately we've done such a bad job building our brand around World Cups, it would just derail any tournament if it was legitimately entertained.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yes. When " indigenous " becomes a country. Then the normal rules of once you've lived in Indigenous for long enough you qualify 🧐
Actually all of the Australian team qualify 😀🤣

MKCS

Juniors
Nah, our Indigenous brothers and sisters are Australian therefore they should play for Australia. I do like the All-Star concept and wouldn't mind other special exhibition games being played such as England Vs Indigenous Australia but they wouldn't be official test matches.

Would be a pretty good Indigenous side to be honest. From this World Cup alone the team would have Latrell, Wighton, Addo-Carr, Cotter and then the likes of Nicho Hynes, David Fifita, Alex Johnston, Kotoni Staggs, Cody Walker and Wade Graham...

SBD82

Coach
Nah, our Indigenous brothers and sisters are Australian therefore they should play for Australia. I do like the All-Star concept and wouldn't mind other special exhibition games being played such as England Vs Indigenous Australia but they wouldn't be official test matches.

Would be a pretty good Indigenous side to be honest. From this World Cup alone the team would have Latrell, Wighton, Addo-Carr, Cotter and then the likes of Nicho Hynes, David Fifita, Alex Johnston, Kotoni Staggs, Cody Walker and Wade Graham...
Yeah it’s a fair team.

An indigenous Aussie side would easily beat minnows like Lebanon, Greece and England. Probably a good matchup with Samoa and Tonga.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This is a hard no, we are just getting traction with the World Cup, the best way to take us back 20 years is to throw an ethnic-based team into the World Cup. We've already got enough people around the media and from other sports ready and waiting to hang shit on the world cup.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Let`s just stick with the Indigenous All-Stars concept and turn it into a week/month long celebration of Indigenous cultures.
I think it`s a potential absolute winner : can be played anywhere (Oz or N.Z.); no other code can get close to it in Australia and is a high-quality game of football.
I went to last year`s at Bankwest, in short, the whole thing was mind-blowing.

docbrown

Coach
No.

But the Indigenous vs Maori All Stars game has a lot of untapped potential. It should be held on the Friday night before the NRL Grand Final with the players from the 15 teams not in the grand final. It would rate on par with the Finals matches.

Also the NRL 9s should include teams like Indigenous and Maori as well.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
No.

But the Indigenous vs Maori All Stars game has a lot of untapped potential. It should be held on the Friday night before the NRL Grand Final with the players from the 15 teams not in the grand final. It would rate on par with the Finals matches.

Also the NRL 9s should include teams like Indigenous and Maori as well.
Not sure about that. One of the major strengths the All-Stars is its` focus on Indigenous Australians, no other code can come near it. No, a weeklong celebration of Indigenous cultures leading up to the game in just about any city you like would have more impact than having it overshadowed by GF week. But certainly agree on the untapped potential.

docbrown

Coach
Not sure about that. One of the major strengths the All-Stars is its` focus on Indigenous Australians, no other code can come near it. No, a weeklong celebration of Indigenous cultures leading up to the game in just about any city you like would have more impact than having it overshadowed by GF week. But certainly agree on the untapped potential.
You could have players join the camp and literally travel all over for the four weeks of the finals. You can still do the exact same week build up in one city during grand final week. Having the code target two separate cities - one with the GF and one with the All Stars - is actually good for media saturation. All Stars doesn’t get the attention it deserves by being lumped in the preseason. It deserves to be a pin of the season game.

Latest posts