What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should front-rowers be paid more?

renouf

Juniors
After reading that article on the back of the telegraph today, I think they should be paid more. Infact I've always thought they were under paid.

These are the only guys in the team that get belted week in week out, who the hell would want to be a frontrower? Surely the money would have to be good for someone to play in that position.. but no it isn't.

The toughness makes up for the skills that they lack.

broncos2011

They probably should be paid more but it will never happen. Just like all professions in the world it is about the return. Darren Lockyer or Hayne bring in the dollars.

Red Bear

Referee
One of the most important positions, halves are generally useless without a good set of props giving them room to move. Price and Petero would've been the first two players i would choose for my side over the last 10 years.

And the best props are often skillfull in their own right.

watatank

Coach
In the context of the salary cap it's hard to justify paying most props the money they deserve...unless they are elite props.

typicalfan

Coach
One of the most important positions, halves are generally useless without a good set of props giving them room to move. Price and Petero would've been the first two players i would choose for my side over the last 10 years.

And the best props are often skillfull in their own right.
Yes but finding a quality half is a lot harder than finding and developing a quality front rower.

front row is important but the Storm have won premierships with Lima and White, Manly with Kite and Perry, neither front row is outrageously strong just strong enough. You might say Price and Petero are your first players picked but I would pick Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer and would let you have those two props. Id be happy to settle for Webcke and Bailey or Morley instead.

Last edited:

Biscuits

Juniors
i think they are travelling pretty well. The top echelon are on 300k+ and they only play 40-50 minutes. Its also easy to get a run at prop. every team carries atleast 4 in their 17

Johns Magic

Referee
These are the only guys in the team that get belted week in week out

You reckon???

who the hell would want to be a frontrower?

Not many want to be a front-rower. They do it because they don't have the skills of the rest of the guys in the competition but happened to be born bigger.

To suggest front-rowers deserve more money because they cop more of a beating is pretty unfair on all the players out there with the real talent who don't have the natural gift of size.

Props have to make up for their lack of skill with toughness. It's their job, and it's quite frankly the easiest position in terms of pressure. A halfback or fullback has a sh*t game and he cops it from all quarters. A front-rower has a sh*t game and only the diehard fans would notice.

In the limitations of the salary cap, props get paid just fine.

typicalfan

Coach
The highest paid props should also double as props that are leaders at their club or have leadership qualities. Players like Petero, Price, Cayless, Asotasi, Bailey etc.

The rest are a dime a dozen want to compare quality front rowers in the competition to quality halves for example? The Broncos have Nick Kenny and now Shane Tronc, the Raiders have David Shillington and Scott Logan, Bulldogs have Hannant and Hodgson, Sharks have Snowden and Douglas, Titans have Bailey, Sea Eagles have Perry, Kite and King, Storm have Lima, White, Tolman and Blair when he plays there, Warriors have Price, Rapira and young gun Packer, Knights have Cross, Cowboys have Scott, Eels have Moimoi, young gun Mannah and Poore, Panthers have Petero and a few young guns, Souths have Stuart, Asotasi and also Taylor and Burgess can play there if needed, Dragons have Weyman, Hunt, Prior and a few young guns, Roosters have Ryles, Tigers have Galloway, Gibbs and if Cayless finds form there is another.

That is a conservative estimate at what? around 35 quality front rowers in the competition, i have probably missed a bunch as well.

Shorty

Staff member
They're paid fine, their job isn't exactly complicated and if they are solid they've got a far more cemented place in the team then other positions.
They're also bigger so they're likely to hold their own against defence, and if they have the right technique, their injuries for the most part as severe as other positions.

Eels Dude

Coach
The elite top earning in the game would earn 300k or above. Guys like Price, Petero, Hannant, Bailey, Poore, Cayless, Kite, Ryles, Asotasi etc would all be earning at least this. The up and comers like Galloway, Weyman, Tolman, Lima could probably command a similar figure on the open market but don't seem to test the waters. Overall a good solid first grade prop will earn more than a good solid winger, centre, or even 5'8th or halve. It's the elite game breaking players like Hayne, Thurston, Inglis, Smith, Benji etc that clubs would be willing to throw the big money at all. But overall, the props would be earning very well compared to outside backs and the average halves.