What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Hunt go to Haflback

Leagueguy

Juniors
Broncos urged to shuffle backs
by Mick Daly
Monday August 21, 2006
Source: The Courier Mail

THE born-again Ergon Energy Broncos have been urged to leave the in-form Justin Hodges, pictured, at fullback and bank on Karmichael Hunt starring in the No. 7 jersey as they prepare to launch a daring assault on the NRL premiership.
Test custodian Hunt is scheduled to return from a broken foot against Parramatta on Sunday and calls for coach Wayne Bennett to shift him to the playmaker's role have intensified.

The destructive Hodges's irresistible form at fullback in the past fortnight and persistent doubts over 28-year-old halfback Shane Perry's creative abilities have sparked growing debate over the proposed move.
Former Queensland fullback Gary Belcher and halfback Mark Murray, who played a combined 31 Origin games for the Maroons, yesterday supported a Broncos shuffle.
Belcher said the Broncos would be a much deadlier prospect with Hunt paired alongside skipper Darren Lockyer in the halves.
He said Hodges was in damaging touch at fullback and had been a major reason for the club's form revival.
"I'd leave Justin at fullback," he said. "Karmichael is an excellent player and the more he has the footy in his hands the better off the Broncos will be.
"They need a halfback who can make things happen and he is the one who can provide that.
"You would then have three guys in the key backline positions who could combine and destroy an opposition."
In his past two starts, against Melbourne and Canterbury, Hodges has been unstoppable at the back, making 52 runs for almost 600m and breaking 21 tackles.
Hunt played halfback in three pre-season trial matches for Brisbane and thrived on the added involvement and responsibility.
Murray said Perry was a steadying influence on the Broncos but believed they could be better served by rotating Hunt into halfback during games.
He said the 19-year-old had proved throughout his 63-game NRL career that he was a gifted ball player as well as a lethal runner.
"I do see those creative qualities in him," Murray said. "Wayne Bennett is in the best position to determine what the Broncos need, but it's probably fair to say that variety and strike in the halves has been a problem. They do need to lift a level in that area.
"I think they could start with Perry at halfback, Hunt at fullback and Hodges in the centres, but perhaps reshuffle them in games so that Hunt spends time at halfback, Hodges at fullback and Perry at dummy-half or on the bench.
"Justin still has that error or two in his game but he is a lot more consistent these days and is playing tremendous football.
"He's deceptively quick and has very good footwork and skill."
Murray said although the Broncos scored five tries in Friday night's 30-0 demolition of the Bulldogs, they still had plenty of room for improvement in attack.
Belcher said the timing was perfect for Bennett to try Hunt at halfback with only two competition rounds left and the Broncos assured of a place in the finals.
He said the Broncos needed a No. 7 who could play on the back of forward momentum and take advantage of hooker Shaun Berrigan's explosive darts.
"I've always thought Berro was best suited to dummy-half and he is doing some great work there at the moment," he said.
"I just think if they are going to make changes, they should do it now. It's the perfect time to do it."

I know this is Broncos related and if you want to move it to that forum thats fine. But I'd be very interested to know what fans from other teams think of moving Hunt to halfback. Especially St George fans who have had unorthox halfbacks in Barrett, Hornby and even Dean Young who was playing 1st reciever on the weekend I believe. Does a halfback have to be small and nippy to be succesful these days or can he be 6 foot 2 like Hunt? I think puting Hunt at half or not puting Hunt at half could have a massive bearing on the finals, as Brisbane's chances could hinge on it. People might also be interested in what ramifications it could have for the Test team and his career later down the track. It seems unlikely at this stage but who knows. What do people think Brisbane should do though?

Mr Saab

Referee
No.
He is a fullback, coming back from a foot injury in rnd 25 or 26....slotting into halfback at this late stage is very very risky.
He has proven himself in attack as a fullback and he and Lockyer can put on their standard 2nd man backline play

Mr Saab

Referee
I am so sick of that backline move. Sure it works on occasion, but surely they have some other move...something...anything.

>zuzu<

Juniors
I thin Saab got it right. Very risky this late in the premiership comp. And with both halves defending on each side of the ruck, three-quarters like Ben Smith, Utai and Gasnier will be salivating at the prospect of coming up against piss weak defenders :)

It's an interesting option, but I think everyone has forgotten that the Broncos 'slump' co-incided with hunts injury. Up to that the Broncos were flying, Hunt was taking pressure off Lockyer in attack anyway and was returning the ball strongly. Hodges was dominating in the centres as it was, I think he is just in that sort of form where he will be on fire wherever he plays. So for mine, its hunt in fullback, hodges in the centres and perry just distributing to the 1 and the 6.

Meanie

Juniors
Risk is the only way the Broncos will win this years premiership I think. Hodges has to stay at fullback. Absolutely has to.

D

Deleted member 10972

1. Justin Hodges
2. Tame Tupou
3. Brent Tate
4. Shaun Berrigan
5. Darius Boyd
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Karmichael Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Michael Ennis
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Corey Parker
12. Brad Thorn
13. Tonie Carroll

14. Greg Eastwood
15. Sam Thaiday
16. David Stagg
17. ??????????????

Pretty solid team for next year, though i have often suggested a move by Shaun Berrigan to lock, with Carroll & Stagg in the backrow, to shut down any laterally playing teams.

island pro

Juniors
Give it a go... he is going to add at least as much as Perry does, I think that's a given, and potentially much more, so why not? The premiership will not spend the year in Brisbane with Perry at half. It might not with Hunt at half either... but the difference there is that it could.

salivor

First Grade
Meanie said:
Risk is the only way the Broncos will win this years premiership I think. Hodges has to stay at fullback. Absolutely has to.

Risk is all well and good but it needs to be calculated risk, this idea simply has disaster written all over it. He's had over a month now on the sideline so he has zero match fitness and you then want to bring him up into the front line and increase his workload two fold, it's just plain stupidity. These types of changes need to be made at the start of the season, not 2 weeks out from the finals.

Hunt and Hodges have been our 2 best players this year in those positions, you should always try to play your best players in their preferred positions when you can.

Hunt for halfback next year, but not now IMO.

broncoman

Juniors
No, Hunt is a fullback keep him there.
I think we get more out of
1 Hunt
3 Hodges
7 Perry
than
1 Hodges
3 Stagg
7 Hunt

renouf

Juniors
I wouldn't take much notice of Belcher.. he was calling for Lockyer to play fullback. Hunt won't play half.. Perry won't be going anywhere, I think WB resting him in the second half shows his importance to the side.

Perry isn't there to put tries on, hes there to direct the forwards around and kick the ball down field.. and he takes pressure of Lockyer with his kicking game.

Can you honestly see someone with Hunt's talent directing the forwards up the middle of the park? Please.. he is to good for that

broncoman

Juniors
Yippee_Wippee said:
1. Hodges
3. Moon
7. Hunt
15. Stagg
if Moon is benig considered wouldnt it be more logical to put him in the halves? if Hodges had of been at fullback for 7 weeks and been on fire there could be a reasonable case for leaving him there, but two games isnt enough to be confident enough it would be better for the side to have him in the 1 and Hunt in 7.

Nevcost

Juniors
Nah, for one thing our centres are lacking at the moment if we leave hodges at fulback, Stagg is not a Centre anymore.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
hodges has been awesome at the back. i think it depends on how fit hunt is and whether you start him or use him off the bench. if you throw him into the team start him at fullbak. if he comes off the bench then perhaps throw him in at half.

i guess it also depends how the team is performing, a few weeks ago it didnt look like the broncos would win another game this year. I dont think it would necessarily hurt to experiment this year especially if we start playing crap again.

and that lockyer-hunt 2nd man play is funny. even though the opposition knows it's on it still results in tries :lol: :lol: but that also highlights the lack or creativity in the halves, particularly the no. 7

Meanie

Juniors
Pierced Soul said:
hodges has been awesome at the back. i think it depends on how fit hunt is and whether you start him or use him off the bench. if you throw him into the team start him at fullbak. if he comes off the bench then perhaps throw him in at half.

Karmichael off the bench mightn't be a bad go actually. Regardless, a way has to be found to keep Hodges at the back.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Hunt halfback switch a possibility
by Scott Dickson
Tuesday August 22, 2006

THE Broncos could today shift Karmichael Hunt into the halves alongside fellow Test star and five-eighth Darren Lockyer while leaving in-form Justin Hodges at fullback, according to assistant coach Ivan Henjack.

But former first-grade halfback and five-eighth Henjack also fired back at critiques of current no.7 Shane Perry, pictured, claiming the revitalized Broncos will remain premiership-winning material with the experienced 28-year-old in the playmaker&#8217;s role.

Constant suspicion over Perry&#8217;s creativeness and Hodges&#8217; devastating form at fullback over the past two weeks have ignited calls urging Wayne Bennett to move Hunt to first receiver.

The Test custodian is expected to return from a broken foot bone in Sunday&#8217;s vital round 25 clash against fellow top four aspirants Parramatta.

Doctors have told Hunt he risks long-term foot problems if he makes a premature comeback from his injury which has a history of re-occurring if not fully healed during action.

&#8220;Karmichael is so versatile and very good with the ball in his hands, and Justin is playing so well at fullback,&#8221; Henjack, who played 212 first-grade games during stints at St.George, Canberra, Wests and English club side Hull, said yesterday.

&#8220;So we will definitely consider switching Karmichael at the coaches meeting tomorrow before the team is named.

&#8220;Karmichael may not even play this weekend but we will find out tomorrow what his chances are when we resume training.&#8221;

Hunt excelled at the scrumbase in three trial matches for the Broncos, while Hodges has been damaging at the back in the past two starts against Melbourne and Canterbury, breaking 21 tackles and making 52 runs for almost 600m.

But Henjack believes there is no need to tinker with the halves, claiming Perry has been one of the main reasons behind the equal fourth-placed Broncos' 2006 success.

He labelled as &#8220;harsh&#8221; and &#8220;totally unwarranted&#8221; last week&#8217;s criticism from champion Bulldogs halfback Steve Mortimer that the Broncos can&#8217;t win the title with Perry at halfback.

&#8220;Shane has done a wonderful job for us this season,&#8221; Henjack said.

&#8220;He has done almost everything we have asked of him and that is giving the Broncos something they have lacked for years which is a halfback who can lead the side around and take the pressure off Darren Lockyer.

&#8220;Shane is great at guiding the forwards around and that has allowed Darren to concentrate solely on organising his backline.

&#8220;Before Shane suffered a knee injury after leading the side to a round 17 win over Cronulla he had been at halfback since round six and was one of the reasons we were sitting second on the ladder at the end of the Origin period.

&#8220;But while he was out we lacked direction, Darren was receiving no playmaking assistance and we therefore lost three in a row.

&#8220;Now that Shane has returned we have looked much more organised in attack and have taken it to the two top sides (Storm and Bulldogs).

&#8220;I though he had a very good game against the Bulldogs.&#8221;

Mortimer and former Queensland Origin halfback Mark Murray, who commented yesterday, said Perry was a solid player but lacked variety and strikepower.

&#8220;There are different styles of halfbacks,&#8221; Henjack said. &#8220;There are running halfbacks and halfbacks who are good organisers and Shane is a good organiser.

&#8220;He fits into our side well and the forwards really rate the way he steers them around the park.&#8221;

If Hunt is named at fullback, Hodges is likely to move back into the centres in place of back-rower David Stagg who would move back into the forwards.

I'm really keen to see the teams now. What time are they normally announced?

Latest posts