What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Johns get his captaincy back?

salivor

First Grade
This is not a thread attacking Johns but just a question I'd like to put to people. Should Andrew Johns get his captaincy back if he plays test football again with Lockyer in the side? Lets be honest here, Johns has a year or two left in football and he may even chose the path of Freddy and Tallis to retire from rep footy.
Lockyer will be the Queensland captain next year and is the long term captain of Australia, wouldn't it be easier to let him keep the captaincy even when Johns returns?

Anonymous

Juniors
Ofcourse Johns will be captain. salivor, Lockyer is a top class players, no doubt about it. But he was third in line for the Aust captaincy behind Johns and Tallis.
btw, couldnt help but notice that Kimmorley was doing a lot of the talking in the NZ Test.

salivor

First Grade
Yes willow but Tallis is retired and Johns is close to retirement leaving Lockyer as the long term captaincy option. What I'm saying is why not let the guy grow into the role.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't see why Johns shouldn't have the captaincy right up until he retires. He's clearly deserving of the mantle, why take it off him just to give Lockyer experience? Personally I'd wait until Lockyer's captained a few Origin matches. He isn't renowned for handling responsibility- as his stepping down from goal-kicking duties would indicate.

No one on the Kangaroo side seemed to want to talk today. It's a sad day when a midget with a #7 on his back is the only one trying to lift the Aussies.

Chris

salivor

First Grade
He actually captained Queensland in a very successful 2001 series when Tallis was out injured with his neck injury and he has always handled the job well for the Broncos when Tallis has been injured or on the bench.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ah, ok, dididn't know that, mate. Well, my opinion doesn't change- I still think Joey's earned the role and should be able to hold onto it until he fails.

Chris

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Johns is getting old, i'd say hes got 3 years tops at top grade . Im guessing after his current contract , he'll retire. That will be a great day for us NZers