What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary's Contract Be Extended For another 3 Year Term?

Sould Mary's Contract Be Extended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Yes, who is the alternative? Outside of Bennett, Bellamy & Robertson who else has a proven record? The betting I think it was 3 seasons ago we were one of the favourites for the wooden spoon and yet we made the semis in 8th position. No doubt our mid seasons slide down the ladder has to be addressed but I would have no confidence in any other coach except for Bellamy to solve this huge problem. Even under Bennett in his 3rd year of his contract we were raging hot favourites to go back to back, Bennett announced he was leaving for Newcastle and the team was never the same. Last year leading up to the SOO we were premiership favourites with a pack of forwards that were easily the best in the competition and were rewarded with many SOO selections. After that they switched off and poor old Benny Hunt lost confidence when those dirty cane toads blamed him for losing the series. This year will be tough with no JDB and possibly Widdop for the season. I'm voting yes to extend because McGregor has at least got us playing semi footy which some other clubs would be very envious of and there are no stand out alternatives knocking on the door.

TruSaint

Referee
Yes, who is the alternative? Outside of Bennett, Bellamy & Robertson who else has a proven record? The betting I think it was 3 seasons ago we were one of the favourites for the wooden spoon and yet we made the semis in 8th position. No doubt our mid seasons slide down the ladder has to be addressed but I would have no confidence in any other coach except for Bellamy to solve this huge problem. Even under Bennett in his 3rd year of his contract we were raging hot favourites to go back to back, Bennett announced he was leaving for Newcastle and the team was never the same. Last year leading up to the SOO we were premiership favourites with a pack of forwards that were easily the best in the competition and were rewarded with many SOO selections. After that they switched off and poor old Benny Hunt lost confidence when those dirty cane toads blamed him for losing the series. This year will be tough with no JDB and possibly Widdop for the season. I'm vote yes to extend because McGregor has at least got us playing semi footy which some other clubs would be very envious of and there are no stand out alternatives knocking on the door.

Nah mate,

Thats delusional. You say Bennett faulted in his 3rd year. You do realize the odds for betting on the minor premiership were halted in 2011, due to our dominance.

We didn't go on with it, but suffice to say for the 3 year tenure, we secured 1 GF title, 2 minor premierships, World Club champs, and we were the envy of the league.

Under Mary, please tell me when we were ever considered title contenders post round 12 ? How many finals series did we reach ?

I really don't wanna hear bullshit, " ohh players injured, SOO, etc etc etc ", that happens to every club. FFS, the Chooks won a GF, with their key play maker busted.

He has said now for 2 FRICKEN years, he has the team he wants. And you suggest in his FIFTH year at the helm he is still the right coach ?

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Yes, who is the alternative? Outside of Bennett, Bellamy & Robertson who else has a proven record? The betting I think it was 3 seasons ago we were one of the favourites for the wooden spoon and yet we made the semis in 8th position. No doubt our mid seasons slide down the ladder has to be addressed but I would have no confidence in any other coach except for Bellamy to solve this huge problem. Even under Bennett in his 3rd year of his contract we were raging hot favourites to go back to back, Bennett announced he was leaving for Newcastle and the team was never the same. Last year leading up to the SOO we were premiership favourites with a pack of forwards that were easily the best in the competition and were rewarded with many SOO selections. After that they switched off and poor old Benny Hunt lost confidence when those dirty cane toads blamed him for losing the series. This year will be tough with no JDB and possibly Widdop for the season. I'm vote yes to extend because McGregor has at least got us playing semi footy which some other clubs would be very envious of and there are no stand out alternatives knocking on the door.

You are entitled to your opinion but you omit a number of important facts........Bennett was at the club for 3 years and won 2 minor premierships / A premiership and a World club challenge.

McGregor is now in his 5th Season..started midway through 2014...We made the finals in 2017 ? due to the Manly betting saga...so it was a claytons spot in the finals.
Question..In 5 years what has McGregor achieved ? We have won 1 finals games out of 3...That's it.

Records broken..Twice held to zero at kogarah...no other Dragons coach has achieved this..Remember 38 - 0 last year. to the Dogs.

For a comparison Michael Maguire was at Souths for 5 years and won 1 premiership and they still got rid of him.

McGregor has had more than enough time to produce the goods....he continues to misuse the bench etc....I have Zero faith in his ability to win us a premiership....McGregor has had a dream run with injuries...every team needs to deal with this..not an excuse for this year.

You say there are no stand out alternatives...Whats wrong with Holbrook...an Old boy and has done well in the ESL. O'Brien has worked under Bellamy and Robinson...so for mine he would also be a better choice. Then you have Demetriou, who has also worked under Bennett.

I'd also throw in...Toovey/Griffin/B.Smith/t.Smith up as better options...so there's 7 for starters.

The club excepts mediocrity and if fans fall for this we will never be successful...

Nothing personal against McGregor...bottom line is he is just not good enough to coach a Dragons side...we should be setting the bar a lot higher and therein lies the problem..in a word MEDIOCRITY ...

What ever happened to the passion of the Frank Facer days...at least under Bennett we competed week in week out...

After 30 odd years we finally win another premiership with an outside coach and what do the board do...sign 2 rookie old boys....would make a great comedy skit...Very Sad.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I have already said no to the suggestion , but for what it is worth the bloke had better get himself on a diet as that belly of his is getting bigger each time I see him .

After watching the team victory song I also noticed that the Simm boys were showing a bit too much skin and young James Graham is still twirling that bluudy arm of his in the air .

Sammy if you are reading this , tell the chap that if he is not careful he will off like a helicopter one of these days. - mark my words ! :innocent:

TruSaint

Referee
You are entitled to your opinion but you omit a number of important facts........Bennett was at the club for 3 years and won 2 minor premierships / A premiership and a World club challenge.

McGregor is now in his 5th Season..started midway through 2014...We made the finals in 2017 ? due to the Manly betting saga...so it was a claytons spot in the finals.
Question..In 5 years what has McGregor achieved ? We have won 1 finals games out of 3...That's it.

Records broken..Twice held to zero at kogarah...no other Dragons coach has achieved this..Remember 38 - 0 last year. to the Dogs.

For a comparison Michael Maguire was at Souths for 5 years and won 1 premiership and they still got rid of him.

McGregor has had more than enough time to produce the goods....he continues to misuse the bench etc....I have Zero faith in his ability to win us a premiership....McGregor has had a dream run with injuries...every team needs to deal with this..not an excuse for this year.

You say there are no stand out alternatives...Whats wrong with Holbrook...an Old boy and has done well in the ESL. O'Brien has worked under Bellamy and Robinson...so for mine he would also be a better choice. Then you have Demetriou, who has also worked under Bennett.

I'd also throw...Toovey/Griffin/B.Smith/t.Smith up as better options...so there's 7 for starters.

The club excepts mediocrity and if fans fall for this we will never be successful...

Nothing personal against McGregor...bottom line is he is just not good enough to coach a Dragons side...we should be setting the bar a lot higher and therein lies the problem..in a word MEDIOCRITY ...

What ever happened to the passion of the Frank Facer days...at least under Bennett we competed week in week out...

In 30 years we finally win another premiership with an outside coach and what do the board do...sign 2 rookie old boys....would make a great comedy skit...Very Sad.

NAIL. HEAD.
Sorry I amended my post. Its 5 years, but fook it feels longer :)

getsmarty

Immortal
I also forgot to add that when he gets extended he will most likely be the longest serving coach at the Dragons....on what basis does he deserve this ???

It's absolutely ludicrous...Surely the barometer is based on results ? ( 1st coach to have our team held to Zero twice in the history of the club )

.What universe do our board operate in ?....This would be a Blueprint for disaster in any corporate structure so what makes it alright within our organization ????

P.S Again nothing personal against Paul McGregor...I am sure he is a nice fella..but that should not be part of the criteria needed to fill our coaching role.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Lol remember when people thought something would change under BJ, WIN and the ‘new structure’.

The bar for success at our club is set embarrassingly low. Those in management don’t care about success, only lining their pockets and those of their mates. And they feed of fans who applaud such mediocrity. Anyone who’s ever copped a series of losses and said ‘at least the effort is there’ is what’s driving the underachievement of the Dragons.

TruSaint

Referee
I

I agree but its a mute point...he will get an extension....If this turns out to be a failure will the board be held to account ?

Since it appears he will be re-engaged, then yes. The board has stuffed this up. I cant blame Mary for taking the offer.

BennyV

Referee
I

I agree but its a mute point...he will get an extension....If this turns out to be a failure will the board be held to account ?
Lol you kidding? Accountable to who?! These clowns have set themselves up to answer to no one. WHEN (not if) it fails, they’ll shrug it off and move on to the next one.

BennyV

Referee
It appears to me that the Illawarra side are calling the shots.
CC
Yeah, nah. As a St George man, it’s nice to think that those nasties from the Illawarra are the ones bringing us down. But in reality, the St George side of the table are just as bad, if not worse. No interest in success, only keeping their nose in the trough. One only needs to look at the make up of the league clubs and football club board, as well as the state of the football club, to see this.

Dorsai

Juniors
The sad thing is the board, who we thought might start to think logically and strategically like an actual board after the buy out of Illawarra, will in all likelihood extend McIdiot. To add salt to the wound, they will probably add Barrett to that folly come July.
When it comes time to turf McIdiot, and have no doubt, it will come, we will get saddled with the next old boy in Barrett and then Hornby and young. And so the cycle continues.
As many have said, the only success we have seen has been with an external experienced professional coach. Not some old boy pretending to be a coach.

More mediocrity to come unless this board wakes up and becomes a professional enti.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Nah mate,

Thats delusional. You say Bennett faulted in his 3rd year. You do realize the odds for betting on the minor premiership were halted in 2011, due to our dominance.

We didn't go on with it, but suffice to say for the 3 year tenure, we secured 1 GF title, 2 minor premierships, World Club champs, and we were the envy of the league.

Under Mary, please tell me when we were ever considered title contenders post round 12 ? How many finals series did we reach ?

I really don't wanna hear bullshit, " ohh players injured, SOO, etc etc etc ", that happens to every club. FFS, the Chooks won a GF, with their key play maker busted.

He has said now for 2 FRICKEN years, he has the team he wants. And you suggest in his FIFTH year at the helm he is still the right coach ?
Totally agree . It's Mary's sixth year coaching us . In that time we have won one finals game . If that's the level the bar is set at any of us on here could coach the Dragons .

Pro Dragons

Juniors

I'd also throw in...Toovey/Griffin/B.Smith/t.Smith up as better options...so there's 7 for starters.

In 30 years we finally win another premiership with an outside coach and what do the board do...sign 2 rookie old boys....would make a great comedy skit...Very Sad.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
I'm not in anyway whatsoever disputing what Bennett achieved, he was and is a far superior coach to McGregor. I would have him back in a heart beat in favour of McGregor. My point was Bennett, who I think the best coach the club has had since Harry Bath, that in the 3rd and final year of his contract when he announced he was leaving the team's formed slumped. If Doust would of signed Bennett to a 5 year contract I'm sure we would of gone back to back premiers. My simple question however delusional to some who is available we can sign that can deliver a better outcome than McGregor? I hate missing out on the semis and if we bring in a mediocre or rookie coach we may return to the Price era. If there is a better option than McGregor believe me I'm all for it. I'm in no way disrespecting what Bennett did for the mighty Red V and I believe if he never left we would have won several more premierships.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Whilst I don't agree with any extension to Mary's contract, it sounds a mere formality. I noticed the jovial & friendly relationship that Brian Johnstone & Andrew Gordon seemed to have with Mary whilst in the change room after the Broncos match. I thought to myself then, here is a bloke that is well entrenched in the inner circle. I understand he's popular with the players & I reckon he's also popular with management.......I have no idea why, except he's one of the boys, enjoys a beer, paints walls and comes relative cheap on the coaching market landscape!

possm

Coach
Yes, who is the alternative? Outside of Bennett, Bellamy & Robertson who else has a proven record? The betting I think it was 3 seasons ago we were one of the favourites for the wooden spoon and yet we made the semis in 8th position. No doubt our mid seasons slide down the ladder has to be addressed but I would have no confidence in any other coach except for Bellamy to solve this huge problem. Even under Bennett in his 3rd year of his contract we were raging hot favourites to go back to back, Bennett announced he was leaving for Newcastle and the team was never the same. Last year leading up to the SOO we were premiership favourites with a pack of forwards that were easily the best in the competition and were rewarded with many SOO selections. After that they switched off and poor old Benny Hunt lost confidence when those dirty cane toads blamed him for losing the series. This year will be tough with no JDB and possibly Widdop for the season. I'm voting yes to extend because McGregor has at least got us playing semi footy which some other clubs would be very envious of and there are no stand out alternatives knocking on the door.

I'd say who is available that has a better record than Mary and better potential to bring home a premiership than Mary.

The sicking point for most good coaches, when considering a coaching contract with SGI, is the management structure - pathways/recruitment/retention - where you are not in control of one the key elements that determine your success. If we had brilliant people managing the Club maybe this would not be such a sticking point as long as the coach had the final say.