What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

should nrl teams be in the challenge cup?

weasel

First Grade
I reckon it might work, the nrl teams could be seeded to enter in the round of 16.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
No way, we'd have Darren Lockyer whinging all year about it and it being too many games and his whinging is annoying already.

McLovin

Staff member
Greatest basketball player EVER. At least get his name right Robster...

Michael Jordan

Ghoulies

Bench
ParraDude_Jay said:
No way, we'd have Darren Lockyer whinging all year about it and it being too many games and his whinging is annoying already.

:lol:

You really hate him don't you?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Not hate on a personal level no, but I really don't like him.

He's a whinger, ESL players play more games than the NRL and they don't complain. Their season started over a month before ours and will end later than ours, hell in some weeks they play two games due to the Challenge cup, but they never complain, they just enjoy playing the game. But Lockyer thinks it's too hard to play an extra 5 games at the end of the year, and the English have to play those aswell.

The best player in the world wouldn't be complaining about extra football representing your country, or trying to cut the season down and disappoint your fans who love watching you play. But he never thinks of that, just keeps saying "The season is too long". Waa waa cry me a river Lockyer.

DIEHARD

----
Salfordcityred said:
I can imagine Wigan St Pats v Brisbane Broncos at the JJB or Coventry Bears v Wests Tigers.....nice

You'd obviously bring them in at a later stage of the tournament.

Ghoulies

Bench
ParraDude_Jay said:
Not hate on a personal level no, but I really don't like him. He's a whinger, ESL players play more games than the NRL and they don't complain. Their season started over a month before ours and will end later than ours, hell in some weeks they play two games due to the Challenge cup, but they never complain, they just enjoy playing the game. But Lockyer thinks it's too hard to play an extra 5 games at the end of the year, and the English have to play those aswell. The best player in the world wouldn't be complaining about extra football representing your country, or trying to cut the season down and disappoint your fans who love watching you play. But he never thinks of that, just keeps saying "The season is too long". Waa waa cry me a river Lockyer.
I have to disagree. Lockyer has always been an advocate for international Rugby League and in the few times where he has critisised the length of the season, he has suggested the NRL season should be shortened (which it should be). I think you'll find the only ones who wish for the international schedule to be scrapped are certain Australian CEOs and coaches who are worried about injuries to their star players. But if you can produce an article where he has called for the Tri Nations to be dropped, or infact ANY article where he has openly whinged about having to play for his country then I'll gladly stop supporting him.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Something similar was tried with SuperLeague but bad scheduling ruined the concept. Could work but where would you fit it in?

Telstra Premiership
Anzac Test
City-Country
State Of Origin
Tri-Nations
World Club Championship

Pistol

Coach
No way in hell Robster. Its the English Challenge Cup. They play preliminary matches throughout the year between the lower divisions to gain a place in the final which for the first time is being played later in the year. Its the Rugby League equal of the English FA Cup. Its got just as much tradition.

The logisitics of flying over mid year to play against a second division team or any team seems to be too much to overcome.

The Tank

Bench
i think their is too much tradition involved with the challenge cup to bring nrl clubs in. it's a european competition and should remain that way.

although i do believe australia/nz should have a equivelant of the challenge cup.

DIEHARD

----
Pistol said:
No way in hell Robster. Its the English Challenge Cup. They play preliminary matches throughout the year between the lower divisions to gain a place in the final which for the first time is being played later in the year. Its the Rugby League equal of the English FA Cup. Its got just as much tradition.

I'm not sure if you realise this or not, but Russian and French clubs compete!

Pistol

Coach
Welsh clubs also compete in the FA Cup.

But you can drive to France from England. The point I was getting at was not so much the tradition and the "English" part of the post, but the fact that it takes more than a full day on a plane from Australia to get there. Thats just air time.

I personally have done the trip a few times from Sydney and let me tell you, its a tough toll on the body.
But I appreciate your opinion Diehard. You obviously know your Super League.

DIEHARD said:
You'd obviously bring them in at a later stage of the tournament.

but it could happen this is a knockout comp after all

Look i like the idea, but they need to play somewhere half way(ie dubai or Singapore) becuase it will be not possible due to long flights and that

AlexM

----
you think players are going to travel halfway around the world to play in this sh*tty challenge cup?

I dont think so!

DIEHARD

----
AlexM said:
you think players are going to travel halfway around the world to play in this sh*tty challenge cup?

I dont think so!

It is not a sh*tty challenge cup, in fact it is one of, if not the most prestigious rugby league competition in the world.

And with the introduction of Russian and French clubs it is gaining scope. Adding clubs from the southern hemisphere is a real option, making it a truly world event!

Where you would fit it into the calender who knows. I'd love to see the Aussies come and steal one of their most prized trophies away from them! English fans will be dead set against it because they know we will win it!

Just to let people know.....the Challenge Cup in the UK means very little to anyone over there untill you get to the final.

basically it goes on for months and months with no one giving a damn. Then SL teams get involed and the crowds for games are very poor.

Even the semi finals...nothing more then a regular League match.

The final is a big event but that about it.

NRL clubs in the Challenge Cup? Its a dumb idea....plain and simple.

saddog

Juniors
I personnaly would love to see a Cup competition here again in Oz, played midwee, early in the year. I know the players (and others) think there are too many games now, but there is a valid point in here about thye ESL and the numbers of games played there. On the flipside, clubs who choose to or have to rest players due to injury are giving players on the endge of their 25 man squad a good chance to gain some experience. Don't tell me people won't tune in to watch a team of nobody's play for thier club - remember Dragins V parra last year at Parra, a team of nobodies killed them, and a few players made a name for themselves.

Make it a decent prize to entice clubs to take it seriously. Invite a PNG presidents XIII, an affiliated states team, NZ residents, maybe even Fiji, samoa, tonga residents etc in a qualifying series , which helps give them more international footy.

What would you rather watch at home on a wednesday night, Blue Heelers or Manly V Parra???

Latest posts