What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Canberra Raiders make a play for coach Wayne Bennett?

davi

Juniors
Wayne wins the comp regularly. Raiders haven't won in 25+ years. I'd take the deal either way.

Wayne Bennett will always be considered one of the all time great coaches. I still think the shine has came off a little bit in recent years.

1) He hasn't won a comp for 10 years.
2) Has left previous teams salary cap in a mess with some questionable deals (Jack Bird, Anthony Milford etc)
3) His record against Craig Bellamy has been down right awful.
4) Even his time at Souths this year has looked a bit shaky at times. They lossed 50 - 0 against the Storm.

So while Bennett will be in hot demand. I'm just not sure its as white hot as Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson at this point in his career.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wayne Bennett will always be considered one of the all time great coaches. I still think the shine has came off a little bit in recent years.

1) He hasn't won a comp for 10 years.
2) Has left previous teams salary cap in a mess with some questionable deals (Jack Bird, Anthony Milford etc)
3) His record against Craig Bellamy has been down right awful.
4) Even his time at Souths this year has looked a bit shaky at times. They lossed 50 - 0 against the Storm.

So while Bennett will be in hot demand. I'm just not sure its as white hot as Craig Bellamy or Trent Robinson at this point in his career.
I get what you are saying but he's still better than most coaches in the NRL and again, most NRL coaches have an awful record against Bellamy.

BadnMean

Juniors
I get what you are saying but he's still better than most coaches in the NRL and again, most NRL coaches have an awful record against Bellamy.

That's what I'm getting at. There are very few coaches with premiership winning credentials out there.

Robbo is busy at Roosters.

Bellamy would be the #1 target for any club but what he does after leaving Melbourne who knows, he's hinted not FT cloaching.

Flanagan is toxic to fans & sponsors given his relationship to both salary cap & systemic doping scandals + breaching rules around his bans.

So that leave s Wayne with relatively recent winning record + ability to repeat it at different clubs. Yes he leaves his clubs a basket case but what coach ever leaves a shining palace of virtue behind them? They all get sacked becos it's crap innit?

PG & Ricky... the success is a fair time past & only Ricky has come close to repeating in that time. So yeah, I' still take Wayne just to get a premiership, no matter how he left it afterward. Squads can unravel real quick under anyone (except Bellamy, who is outstanding).

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Bennett is a myth especially over the last 10 years at least any mojo he had is well and truly gone.
Speak to anyone that has worked at a club while he is there or just after he left.

The notion that anyone thinks he is still a great coach anymore is fanciful. Like Gould his reputation is something in the backpages of history.

Ricky's problem is he needs to be a 2-3 year coach at a club. It also might surprise you he leaves clubs in a 100x better position than Bennett. The Roosters still use structures that he implemented right through the grades into the junior development teams

Bennett is a myth especially over the last 10 years at least any mojo he had is well and truly gone.
Speak to anyone that has worked at a club while he is there or just after he left.

The notion that anyone thinks he is still a great coach anymore is fanciful. Like Gould his reputation is something in the backpages of history.

Ricky's problem is he needs to be a 2-3 year coach at a club. It also might surprise you he leaves clubs in a 100x better position than Bennett. The Roosters still use structures that he implemented right through the grades into the junior development teams
“Myth” is a bit harsh.

He was a Thurston field goal away from a premiership in 2015 and got the Knights to a preliminary final.

Souths also cannot be written off this year and are pretty juicy at $6.50 to take the chocolates…

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That's what I'm getting at. There are very few coaches with premiership winning credentials out there.

Bellamy would be the #1 target for any club but what he does after leaving Melbourne who knows, he's hinted not FT cloaching.

Flanagan is toxic to fans & sponsors given his relationship to both salary cap & systemic doping scandals + breaching rules around his bans.
Did you detect the irony of suggesting Bellamy was the #1 target, yet apparently Flanagan is a leper due to salary cap scandals?

I call BS anyway. I'd have Flanagan in NZ tomorrow. Yeah he's f**ked up in the past but he's going to get another opportunity, and the guy can coach. As you say, there's very few who have premiership credentials and he is one of them. Guarantee they'll be lining up for him when he's ready.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Closer to the mark than legend

Don't wish too hard you will end up with his dud son as well.
Myth is closer to the mark than legend for a guy who has won 7 premierships? You're allowed to see it both ways. Amazingly successful coach, who is also a real average person. Leaves clubs in the lurch (hell, did it to his wife too) because he wants them to struggle after he leaves. Seems to think that makes his legacy look even better that the clubs battle when he leaves.

Probably did that when he moved on from his mrs too. 'Hey love, here's Ivan Henjak'.