What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the nrl impose an expenditure cap on all clubs?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The push of this article is the often stated position of the NRL that the top tier can’t expand beyond its current 16 clubs until they are sustainable and viable and the game has confidence it can expand and support new clubs without having to worry about the survival of existing ones. Last year, flush with tv cash the nrl threw a bucket load of cash at clubs in the hope they would achieve this, yet reports are suggesting that despite the massive revenue influx at least half of clubs still made a loss last year. Given this, is it time the nrl imposed a strict expenditure Limit on clubs at a level it can have confidence all clubs can safely achieve?
Would we find ourselves in a much more sustainable position if the nrl told clubs they could only spend $20mill a year? $10mill on players $5mill on football operations and $5mill on running the clubs and growing their business. Would this see the league get to a secure enough position that we could expand beyond 16 clubs rather than cull , merge or relocate in order to expand? Is there any reason clubs couldnt operate on $20mill a year? With a $13mill grant that means they would only need to raise revenue of $7mill a year, something that any club wanting to be in the nrl should be more than capable of. Having a capped amount would also help new clubs develop strong business cases for inclusion with some certainty.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/78ed964a55e933222491bb4b2330658a

T-Boon

Coach
Yes, I would make a very strict salary cap on the football department (10mill players, 3mill coaching staff and other football department) and allow clubs to spend as much as they like on promotion.

taipan

Referee
I'd remove the sombreros of Brisbane and the Roosters,and have all teams operate under baseball caps.
IOW all of them operating on the same page.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
F*ck that....

Why should rich clubs be held back just because the poor clubs cant bring in sponsors?

If the Broncos have such a major advantage, relocate to Brisbane and become as successful as them. Any club that does not move is CHOOSING not to move.

It is fine, there choice. But the ARLC should not be rewarding them for it. If you wanna stay in the suburbs, you can stay at the bottom of the ladder

T-Boon

Coach
F*ck that....

Why should rich clubs be held back just because the poor clubs cant bring in sponsors?

If the Broncos have such a major advantage, relocate to Brisbane and become as successful as them. Any club that does not move is CHOOSING not to move.

It is not about punishing the rich clubs so that the poor can survive it is about the overall good of the game. When the clubs are allowed to spend all the money they have on pointless wage inflation they have none left over to spend on promotion and getting fans to the ground or other things like expansion.
So even the Broncos and Roosters who seem to be flying barely make a profit. So the clubs get to say we cant have expansion until we are all able to make a profit knowing full well they don't ever intend to make a profit.

If your attitude is lets let the poor clubs die and not hold up expansion then I agree but the code (clubs and NRL) does not agree so working within that reality the best thing to do is bring in a strict football operations cap.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
All of this shitting on the successful clubs from a great height, while in the same breath ratifying the continued existence of complete wilderness wanderers like Cronulla and Manly.

tri_colours

Juniors
It is not about punishing the rich clubs so that the poor can survive it is about the overall good of the game. When the clubs are allowed to spend all the money they have on pointless wage inflation they have none left over to spend on promotion and getting fans to the ground or other things like expansion.
So even the Broncos and Roosters who seem to be flying barely make a profit. So the clubs get to say we cant have expansion until we are all able to make a profit knowing full well they don't ever intend to make a profit.

If your attitude is lets let the poor clubs die and not hold up expansion then I agree but the code (clubs and NRL) does not agree so working within that reality the best thing to do is bring in a strict football operations cap.

The clubs have there own interests at heart and why shouldn't they.

I don't want to see any club fold or die. Neither though do I want to see my club become a feeder club or forced to move to Timbuktu.