What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Timoteo Simona be given a second chance?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
No. With all the bullshit behavior the NRL has had to put up with this off season, giving a man who cheated charities out of money a second chance is not what it needs right now.

Life's Good

Coach
Fairly certain he was convicted. Fraud wasn’t it?

Pretty much(thanks for the correction). He was issued a good behaviour bond for the sh*t he pulled with the jerseys & deregistered from the NRL(from what I could find).
Anyway, I say no. No one is stopping him from earning a living so the redemption story can come from somewhere else.

Pommy

Coach
I don’t believe in banning players for misbehaviour unless it is something like match fixing. If clubs are prepared to do damage to their reputation by signing players then it’s on them but f**k this guy, these offences have the potential to do untold damage to the sport overall.

Wizardman

First Grade
What he did with the jerseys was downright deplorable....I hope he compensated the charities for that. As horrid as that act was, I'd let him back in if he showed some sort or redemptive qualities.

The spot fixing is a different kettle of fish altogether. These players get educated every single year about sport gambling....Simona would know right from wrong and the consequences that come from it. His actions betrayed his teammates, his employer and the game. To give him a second chance would set a very dangerous precedent for others to possibly run the gauntlet with the chance of playing again if they get caught. A star won't be tempted to spot fix but a fringe player may well take that chance.

On a human level, I do feel a bit for Simona. But, players must know that if they take the risk and get caught, they will get a life ban. Our sport must keep its integrity at all costs.

A no for me.