What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Woolford leave after 2005?

LUKEY

Juniors
There has been plenty of talk in the media in regards to Simon Woolford leaving at the end of the season to go to the UK. I personally think that his time is up. Withers will play hooker and Croker can be the captain.

Raider Azz

Bench
Actually I'd probably give Shif the captaincy if Woolford left.

I don't want to see the fella go but I think a few last years in England would be the best option for him at this point in his career. Perhaps coming back afterwards for some sort of role in the club, ala Furner.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raider_Azz said:
Actually I'd probably give Shif the captaincy if Woolford left.

I don't want to see the fella go but I think a few last years in England would be the best option for him at this point in his career. Perhaps coming back afterwards for some sort of role in the club, ala Furner.

agree 100%
took the words right outta my mouth

legend

Coach
His time is almost up. His shoulders are shot and he probably wants the big payoff in the U.K with such a young family and a cute wife. ;-)

A great servant of the club and one of our only players that can annoy the shit of any other teams fans.

woodgers

Bench
I like having him around even though Withers is more explosive in that position. The stories in the paper about how he blows up at training if people don't give 100% is great imo. He loves the club and is one of those guys who hates losing with a passion, Joel Monaghan was interviewed and said the young players are scared to slack off because he gives it to them (No doubt Joel copped a few sprays off him towards the end of 2004!). That can only be good for a club and player development.

When I think of Woolford, I think of a game against the Warriors at home in 2004. We were defending at the northern end (opposite to the scoreboard) and they were 20 out. Germ has attempted a tackle on one of their monster forwards and he came off second best. He was knocked out and couldn't move and lay motionless for about 30 seconds. The ref didn't stop the game so we were one short in defence. I saw Woolford get to his feet clutching his shoulder, desperately trying to get back into the line stumbling all over the place with concussion. Jenno is half trying to get him to lie down and half trying to hold him before he falls over legless. He got back in the line to see out the set. That is courage, guts and leadership. He will be missed when he moves on, more than people think.

He may whinge and niggle but that is because he is a fierce competitor. You can tell he is that type that would be just as pissed if he lost a game of marbles at school as he would losing a grand final. I am glad we have him for a bit longer. We all know that we have just lost a chunk of experience and he certainly has that. If our forwards are doing well then so is Germ because he feeds off that go forward and fast play the balls. He still has a role to play here and will want some success before he goes, despite the odds.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Woodgers, you have hit the nail on the head. I'm a big fan of Woolford. He lives and breathes green. I love the passion and the anger he shows when a decision has not gone his way and he stands his ground. There is no way he is past his prime, yet.

Raider Azz

Bench
09_woolford.jpg

greeneyed

First Grade
legend said:
His time is almost up. His shoulders are shot and he probably wants the big payoff in the U.K with such a young family and a cute wife. ;-)

A great servant of the club and one of our only players that can annoy the sh*t of any other teams fans.

Legend, I agree fully that Woolford only has one season left in the NRL. He has been a good player and loyal - though on the proviso he was made captain - but he should look to the UK after next season. He can't last a decent spell in a game anymore.

Raider_69

Post Whore
legend said:

A great servant of the club and one of our only players that can annoy the sh*t of any other teams fans.

I disagree

He still has at least 2 in him IMO, depending on how well the system with linc works maybe even more!!
Germ should stay on as long as possible

thickos

First Grade
I admire Germ for his tenacity and guts. 200 games for the Raiders is a big achievement and he is in lofty company now because of it. You have to have respect for the guy.

As for him leaving, I will pass judgement midway through the season as I really want to see how his body holds up. Last year he struggled to get through games... if this persists I think he will turn into a liability. Toots still lasts the 80 minutes so Germ needs to work on his fitness big time. From memory he was carrying a shoulder injury in 04... hopefully it is gone and he is fresh for 05.

If he still 'has it' then sure keep him on... but probably til the end of 06 at the latest. Then it will be definitely time for Withers to take over. He is the future in the 9.

greeneyed

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
legend said:

I disagree

He still has at least 2 in him IMO, depending on how well the system with linc works maybe even more!!
Germ should stay on as long as possible

I disagree with you R69 and agree with Legend. Woolford couldn't finish even a good part of a game last season. It is just going to get worse in 2005, I'm afraid.

Lynchie

Juniors
At the end of last season I heard from a friend of mine being a credible source that it was most likely woolford will be off to the U.K in 2006.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Woolford is one of my favorite players, the guy always gives it his all every game.

I personally want him to retire in the green...i doubt were gonna get another captain who just blows up and trys to fire the team like woolford does.

thickos

First Grade
That is true reptar... obviously it is his decision. Will injury or lack of match fitness make the decision for him though?

greeneyed

First Grade
legend said:

I agree with you Legend. It was unfortunate news tonight.

Latest posts