What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shoulder Pads

siv

First Grade
With so many players mainly the forwards strapping padding to the shoulders or upper body

Should some players consider wearing shoulder pads again ?

Zadar

Juniors
I wore shoulder pads as a kid playing league, but only because it made you look bigger, and it was a bit of a fad, you wanted to look like an 80s player.

not sure if the serve much purpose, and they weren’t very comfortable

DeeJ

Bench
I was thinking about them the other day. It could potentially prevent some bruising but I'm not sure of any other advantages.

I always thought someone like Keary could use them, because he is so slight.

oinkoink

Juniors
it's weird who no one wears them any more.
Even the hi tech light weight ones

Same with mouth guards - plenty don't have those either

soc123_au

Staff member
I wore shoulder pads as a kid playing league, but only because it made you look bigger, and it was a bit of a fad, you wanted to look like an 80s player.

not sure if the serve much purpose, and they weren’t very comfortable

Yep, the bigger the better. I think their best attribute was psychological. It's well known that going into a tackle committed is less likely to result in getting hurt than being tentative. The shoulder pads gave you the confidence to go in hard, especially as a smaller kid.

That & I liked looking in the mirror with the pads & jersey on. Ha ha.

gunpk

Juniors
I remember wearing the older style ones when I first started playing because mum made me and I also wanted to look like beaver. They were so uncomfortable. I couldn't even raise my arms up properly.
The newer lighter ones that come in the shirt style were better but still uncomfortable

Zadar

Juniors
it's weird who no one wears them any more.
Even the hi tech light weight ones

Same with mouth guards - plenty don't have those either

really?I just assumed they all wear mouth guards, maybe I just asses it on watching the roosters, because teddy’s mouthgaurd is a wide as the Sydney heads, and young flanno always puts his in his sock when kicking for goals.

big hit!

Bench
didn't Canterbury wear the american football style fibre glass ones back in the 80s? No wonder David Gillespie was Cement

Latest posts