What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shoutout to Kevin Walters

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
It's been a bit drowned out in the shouting match surrounding NSW, their coach and their selections, but Kevvy Walters kicked off his reign as QLD coach with a 2-0 series victory. Not a bad way to kick it off at all.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Yeah their were doubters down south about his coaching credentials.

Kevvie let the results do the talking.

Dazzat

First Grade
Let's also give credit to Alfie and his towel - our on field coach.

Kevvie and Alfie - what a combination, whether playing or coaching.

Kevin Walters is a hopeless coach. He didn't need to coach the Maroons because they have been playing together for a decade. The Maroons don't need a coach except for the kind that transports them to the ground. Mal Meninga got away with it for the same reason.

Kevvie's a nice guy, but there's about 4 players who combine and truly coach the team.

NSW picked an awful side again, it was a gimme for Kev.

davi

Juniors
Yeah their were doubters down south about his coaching credentials.

Kevvie let the results do the talking.

Yeah Kevin Walters was heavily tipped for the Tigers job. But the Tigers in the interviews apparently were more impressed with Mick Potter. I know Queensland have won the series, but I still think the jury's still out on Walters. But he did get big wraps when he was a assistant at the Melbourne Storm.

davi

Juniors
Kevin Walters bluffing or making a legitimate threat? Queensland has always leaned on experience and players that have done the job previously, so it's hard to tell if Walters is just doing this to encourage the youngsters and keeping the incumbents on their toes or is he thinking about a succession plan. I don't imagine the spine Smith, Cronk, Thurston, and Boyd have anything to be worried about. But I definitely could see the Queensland forwards being put on notice to not take their selection for granted.

"QUEENSLAND’S evergreen Origin stars have been served a public warning they are not guaranteed one more for the road on the second year of Kevin Walters’ coaching reign.

Emerging Origin squad members were urged by Walters at their weekend camp at the Gold Coast to shoot for the stars, and push long-term Maroons into earlier than expected retirements with irresistible form.

“Origin is really close for some of them, really close,’’ Walters said yesterday.

“I have no doubt this year there will players who were there who will play Origin this year. That’s just the way it works.

“It’s nearly time for this generation to push through and put a whole heap of pressure on (the veteran players). You have to work hard to break into an Origin side and that’s what I want to see from them with their clubs.’’

Among the 2016 Maroons, Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston were 33, Cooper Cronk and Jacob Lillyman were 32, Nate Myles and Sam Thaiday were 31 and Cowboys Matt Scott and Gavin Cooper were 30.

While Corey Parker, 34, has since retired, Billy Slater, 33, hopes to win back the fullback spot with a sound comeback from shoulder surgery.

Walters was so confident that six players had learned their lesson from last year’s curfew-breaking bans that he decided against ordering a curfew this time.

Valentine Holmes, Dylan Napa, Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, Cameron Munster, Jarrod Wallace, Edrick Lee and Chris Grevsmuhl were banned from Origin contention in 2016 when it was found they had broken curfew during last summer’s camp.

All except Grevsmuhl were part of the 2017 Emerging squad.

Asked if all players had behaved themselves at night over the weekend, Walters said: “Of course they did.

“I’ve seen some growth in them which was the most pleasing thing of the whole weekend.

“This time last year (the breakup day of the 2016 camp), we didn’t know what was going on, we were running around.

“This year they were all very well behaved and that’s the maturity in them.

“I didn’t think it was necessary (to have a curfew). That’s not the way I like to operate.’’

Holmes and Napa, in particular, would seem capable of Origin debuts this year, a year after Cooper, Corey Oates and Justin O’Neill were blooded.

The transitioning of players for Origin debuts was aided by meetings with team sports psychologist Mick Martin, who has also worked extensively with the Storm."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/f4fd165bce68172a68ba05dd0e8f34bd

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Sounds like a perfectly reasonably approach to young players who had previously been punished severely. They were given the stick and now have the carrot dangled for them.

Queensland fans need to realise the good times won't last forever. Although this successful period has extended to 11 years I still consider it an aberration and at some point parity amongst the teams will resume. Walters probably realises this will happen on his watch as players retire during his tenure. So being aware to the challenges ahead means he has to bring a different style than what has gone before.

The coaching staff must continue the evolution of the side and introduce new players to the team. And issuing challengers to those who've been there before is standard procedure I would say.

Hard to fault Walters on this.

davi

Juniors
Kevin Walters to get more input into team selections.

"MAROONS coach Kevin Walters will get the Origin team he wants this season as the Queensland Rugby League hierarchy presides over the biggest shake-up of the selection panel in a decade.

The QRL has given Walters a formal voice on a Maroons selection panel that has been reduced from five members to three for this year’s series.

Long-serving chairman Des Morris and fellow selector Alan Smith have been jettisoned as the QRL hands Walters a more beefed-up role in his second series at the helm.

Walters, Broncos legend Darren Lockyer and new chairman Gene Miles are the three wise men charged with consigning NSW to an 11th series defeat in 12 years.

For decades, many NSW, Queensland and Australian coaches were handed representative teams compiled by a selection panel.

But QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher said Walters warranted an official role to push for players he wanted.

Walters attends NRL matches weekly as a commentator for Fox Sports and will now enjoy the selection powers afforded his NSW counterpart Laurie Daley.

“Kevin is running his own show now,” Hatcher said.

“We have spoken to him about it and the view is that a bit of fresh blood is always good for an organisation.

“This gives Kevvie more control of the team. The selectors are really a sounding board and collaborate with the head coach. As a board, we’ve spoken about it for a while and we felt this was the right time.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/6806743a86332659d69bc27d5ac3ef4f

davi

Juniors
Sacking Kevin Walters after one series loss would be stupid in my opinion. The roster is at it's end of its tenure. Gordon Tallis suggest it's Wayne Bennett causing mischief wanting the job back. I remembered it differently that Queensland asked Paul Green to be coach, and Bennett suggested in the media it should be Walters as coach. I don't remember Bennett being dirty it wasn't him.

Bennett is coach of the Broncos and coach of England he can't have both and be coach of Queensland. Also I don't see NSW running to Gus Gould when things get tough for NSW, there should be lesson in that for Queensland that it's time move on from Bennett.

"Wayne Bennett is rumoured to be in place to take over from Kevin Walters if Queensland lose the 2017 series, but that would be an ''unfair'' move in the eyes of Maroons legend Gorden Tallis.

Walters would be sacked with a 50 per cent record if he fails - a 10 per cent higher achievement than his rival Laurie Daley if he were to be victorious.

Bennett has enjoyed two series wins in his three years in charge of Queensland from 1986-88, departing with a 60 per cent success rate.

Tallis couldn't justify dropping Walters after just two years at the helm.

“Absolutely it’s unfair,'' Tallis told The Matty Johns Show.

“Kevvie did a great job last year.

“It’s an ageing roster. They are going through the transformation where all these greats are going to leave the game and we have all these kids coming in.”

Mal Meninga's tenure was blessed with a list of future Immortal candidates that formed an unstoppable spine who completely dominated.

Since his departure, the Maroons are about to enter one of the toughest periods in the team's history with a number of esteemed players set to retire and the blooding process about to commence in Game II, a sweeping change that the Blues implemented 12 months ago.

It's the battle that Walters will need to overcome and the high expectations of Queenslanders should be lowered a notch.

Walters was handed the job ahead of North Queensland's Paul Green and Bennett who's possible move was blocked by the Broncos.

Tallis believes Bennett is still filthy and is undermining the current coach.

“I think he was dirty when he missed out on the (Queensland) job,” Tallis said of Bennett.

“And there is no doubt he wants to do it.

“Wayne wants it (the fact he could replace Walters) out there and it is sad they are not letting Kevvie go out there and do his job.

“He’s the best man for Queensland.

"Queensland is a job for someone who is not an NRL coach.

"So would Wayne give up the million dollars he's got to coach Brisbane for it?"

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...rarchy/ar-BBCKisl?li=AAgfLCP&ocid=mailsignout

OldPanther

Coach
Sounds like a perfectly reasonably approach to young players who had previously been punished severely. They were given the stick and now have the carrot dangled for them.

Queensland fans need to realise the good times won't last forever. Although this successful period has extended to 11 years I still consider it an aberration and at some point parity amongst the teams will resume. Walters probably realises this will happen on his watch as players retire during his tenure. So being aware to the challenges ahead means he has to bring a different style than what has gone before.

The coaching staff must continue the evolution of the side and introduce new players to the team. And issuing challengers to those who've been there before is standard procedure I would say.

Hard to fault Walters on this.

Really well said.

isaiah

Bench
Master stroke by kevvie was mentioning the 11-1 penalty count the other day. rub of the green, lol

davi

Juniors
QRL has said they would consider releasing Kevin Walters as Queensland coach if he asked to be released. He might be in the frame of mind for the Titans job if Neil Henry gets sacked. QRL has said they would prefer Walters to stay, and Walters has said he is committed to the Queensland job so its too early to say if there is any likelihood of this happening.

Latest posts