What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me the Money, Bruce.

Been away for a bit, have we won the comp yet?

Anywho, things have been playing on my mind.
Remember when Illawarra went broke and some bloke named Doust negotiated the sale of 49% of the club to Bruce Gordon, taking, from estimates, $4 million less than the offer from the Sydney Kings guy?
Remember when said Mr Doust explained it by saying Bruce was a billionaire and his business acumen would bring a much needed expertise to the club?
Well where has all that gone?
We have gone through how many CEOs in that time, most of whom seem to last 6 months before they walk out shaking their heads in disbelief.

I was struck a couple weeks ago by the fight between the NRL and the State government over ground funding and it was reported Mr Ruggba League was upset the funding for Brookvale, Leichhardt and Shark Park wouldn’t be forthcoming, the same Shark Park that has just been completely rebuilt.
So where was our funding for the woeful Jubilee, or WIN, which in the process of falling down?
Who at our club is advocating for the Dragons with the NRL?
Wheres the aforementioned “business acumen” from Bruce?
Wheres our Centre of Excellence training facilities?

It really isn’t any wonder the only players and coaches we attract are has been or never were’s when there seems to be no plan going forward for the mess the board has created.
Say what you will about the Dogs, The Tigers or the Titans, but they have plans, weather those plans come off is another thing, but at least they have them.
Sam Verrills signing with the Titans speaks volumes.

I don’t know how much business WIN has got in Perth, but the running of the club seems designed to make us first cab off the rank if a side is to be moved.

18to87

First Grade
Heard today that only stadiums that have issues with quick evacuations in the event of an emergency are getting money from state governments. Maybe this is common knowledge but first time I have heard it.

FlameThrower

Bench

Remember when Illawarra went broke and some bloke named Doust negotiated the sale of 49% of the club to Bruce Gordon, taking, from estimates, $4 million less than the offer from the Sydney Kings guy?
Remember when said Mr Doust explained it by saying Bruce was a billionaire and his business acumen would bring a much needed expertise to the club?
We have gone through how many CEOs in that time, most of whom seem to last 6 months before they walk out shaking their heads in disbelief.

I was struck a couple weeks ago by the fight between the NRL and the State government over ground funding and it was reported Mr Ruggba League was upset the funding for Brookvale, Leichhardt and Shark Park wouldn’t be forthcoming, the same Shark Park that has just been completely rebuilt.
So where was our funding for the woeful Jubilee, or WIN, which in the process of falling down?

It really isn’t any wonder the only players and coaches we attract are has been or never were’s when there seems to be no plan going forward for the mess the board has created.
Say what you will about the Dogs, The Tigers or the Titans, but they have plans, weather those plans come off is another thing, but at least they have them.

I don’t know how much business WIN has got in Perth, but the running of the club seems designed to make us first cab off the rank if a side is to be moved.
I can tell you that the Jubilee Oval issue is not just the Dragons fault , it’s mostly due to Georges River Council wanting the rebuild to include, pool aquatic centre and amenities. They are living dream land and the area can’t accommodate such a big redevelopment. Secondly we barely play 6 games there, with terrible crowds. So justifying that spend on us is not worth it, only to have a few soccer games or school athletic carnivals!

Qdf

Juniors

What a self serving corrupt
Scumbag that DOUST is.
Shonky moves by DOUST.
NOW DOUST,the fraud is back on our BOARD .
COLLECTING of the Gordon's
for a job well done.

Qdf

Juniors
Bruce can rot in the Bahamas and take his son with him.
Yes we were sold up the creek by Peter DOUST.
The Gordon's have done precious little at our club.
And the idiot son Andrew Gordon has actually hindered our progression, he was the one that gave "Mary" his last extension. I honestly think that we would be better of without those lying Gordon's.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Gone, but not missed clearly.

All the problems you’ve listed are due to mismanagement from the one side of the JV that has been constant the whole time.

The centre of excellence has been announced this year. In sunny Wollongong.

And WIN stadium is looking good after the upgrades to the western stand. Best admired when standing with your back to the glorious Pacific Ocean, enjoying a beer on the hill whilst watching the team play at their more dominant home ground.

But I do agree. Bruce needs to pull his finger out. Buy out the st George side of things so they stop holding the club back.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Great to see you contributing in a positive and constructive manner Muz.

Given the current state of St George Illawarra both shareholders should be encouraged to sell their respective shares to a professional sports organisation or alternatively hand the licence back to the NRL.
Of course it’s positive. I only want the best for the club.

We had a great suitor in Paul Smith who wanted to buy into club but didn’t because *checks notes* of the st George board.

Meanwhile his other sporting venture is currently *checks notes* reigning premiers of their competition.

Let’s hope one day he comes back sniffing around..

possm

Coach
What a self serving corrupt
Scumbag that DOUST is.
Shonky moves by DOUST.
NOW DOUST,the fraud is back on our BOARD .
COLLECTING of the Gordon's
for a job well done.
Blame Craig Young! Hey Peter, I'll nominate you for a Board position if you support the appointment of Dean as coach.

Qdf

Juniors
Blame Craig Young! Hey Peter, I'll nominate you for a Board position if you support the appointment of Dean as coach.
No I blame Peter DOUST.
He's the man that ushered in
those good for nothing Gordon's. 5.5million dollars short of their nearest bidder.
Robbed the club of 5.5m.
Then gets his payoff, seat on the Corrupt BOARD .
A true parasite.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No I blame Peter DOUST.
He's the man that ushered in
those good for nothing Gordon's. 5.5million dollars short of their nearest bidder.
Robbed the club of 5.5m.
Then gets his payoff, seat on the Corrupt BOARD .
A true parasite.
He should ask Bruce Gordon where the money is then..

Can someone please correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember that the Illawarra side of the JV owed the Gordon’s a considerable amount of money and that the money paid to the NRL was only part of the deal.

The Illawarra side of the JV was free to sell its interest to anyone, but chose the Gordon’s as the party most likely to protect the Illawarra side’s interests.

ultimately nothing to do with St George side of the JV at all.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Can someone please correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember that the Illawarra side of the JV owed the Gordon’s a considerable amount of money and that the money paid to the NRL was only part of the deal.

The Illawarra side of the JV was free to sell its interest to anyone, but chose the Gordon’s as the party most likely to protect the Illawarra side’s interests.

That is my recollection

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Happy to correct you, but I won’t call you wrong. That would be rude. You’re just ill-informed about the club you claim to support & it would be negligent of me to not help bring you up to speed.

As a joint venture operation, both sides need to agree on a sale.

It’s all neatly summed up here:

“Under the terms of the joint-venture agreement, St George District had to sign off on any potential partner. The Steelers believed that WIN was the best option for them and the St George District Football Club and Dragons supported this decision.”

Which can be found here:

On a positive note, cracking day yesterday in the gong. How nice was it to see such a big crowd cheering on both dragons teams to victory whilst enjoying the beautiful Tasman Sea at their backs.

Reactions: Qdf

Qdf

Juniors

Then why did DOUST,the Stgeorge CEO usher in the deal with the Gordon's.
Then retire as CEO of Stgeorge .Then after the deal went in the way of the Gordon's, ( 5.5million less than the Smith offer) DOUST pops up on board. Now tell me DOUST didn't do a separate deal with the Gordon's,securing his position at the TROUGH.

Parko1310

Juniors