What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shut Up And Take My Money

DiegoNT

First Grade
Games

Contra 3: Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Final Fantasy III ( really final fantasy 6)
F-Zero
Kirby super star
Kirby's dream course
The legend of zelda: a link to the past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2 (new game)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punchout
Yoshi's Island
485488.jpg

jargan83

Coach
After all the grief I went through last year to track down a Mini NES I have pre-ordered this one!

Devo that it has Donkey Kong Country and not Donkey Kong Country 2 which was amazing.

perverse

Referee
Very, very solid game lineup, though. No Chronotrigger is certainly a disappointment, but it's probably the only major omission. That and the DKC sequels. As far as a Whitmans Sampler of the best of the SNES goes though, I think they've done very well.

Not sure if I'm going to get one or not because emulation is a thing, especially SNES, but yeah... I'm a lot closer to wanting one of these than I was with the NES classic.

DiegoNT

First Grade
1. Mario 64
2. Ocarina
3. Majora's mask
4. Goldeney
5. Perfect Dark
6. Paper Mario
7. Mario party 2
8. Mario Kart
9. Diddy Kong racing
10. Mario Tennis
11. Lylat Wars
12. Banjo- Kazzooie
13. Smash Brothers
14. Turok 2
15. F-Zero x
16. Rogue Squadron
17. Wave Race
18. 1080 snowboarding
19. Tony hawk
20. Rayman 2
21. Worms 2

Big Pete

Referee
I've been trying to stick solid with current releases, but this was too good to resist. The Super Nintendo was my first ever console and being able to have a system like that handy with the controllers, the emu settings, packaging the works is too good to resist.

I'm sure everyone has their preferences but Nintendo have done a fairly good job with their game selection. It isn't necessarily the best 20 games on the system, but there's plenty of variety and a good mixture of single and multiplayer games. There's a few games where I probably would have gone with another option, but I follow Nintendo's reasoning.

I would have preferred DKC2 > 1, but the original sold a lot more and made a bigger impression at that time. Final Fantasy III has received several re-releases, while Chrono Trigger has notoriously been difficult to come by in certain parts of the western world. Also, I don't know why we got short changed on Street Fighter II. Japan gets the most complete version, while we have to settle for the second revision? Speaking of, I'm jealous they received Tetris Attack. I guess the west got Dream Course which is a fair trade, but I'm a sucker for Panel de Pon.

Still, I can't disagree with most of the selections. All the best Nintendo staples, quality Capcom, Konami and Squaresoft entries and a few Nintendo deep-cuts to round the system out. I'm especially happy to see Yoshi's Island on there. In recent times they've only released the GBA version which isn't quite as good as the original.

Big Pete

Referee
Nice list, Diego! I'd buy that in a heart-beat. If I was in charge and trying to line-up alongside all the other Classic collections...

1080 Snowboarding
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack
Donkey Kong 64
Goemon's Great Adventure
F-Zero X
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Lylat Wars
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibre
Paper Mario
Pokemon Puzzle League
Sin and Punishment
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64
Yoshi Story

If Nintendo really wanted to create buzz for the system, they'd HAVE to get Goldeneye 007 on there. Even though it hasn't aged well, that was the game that really got people talking and sells the 4-player couch play the most.

However trying to be realistic I included most of the first party games, most of the licensed Nintendo games and the rest were devoted to the hardcore fans just to appease them. Bomberman 64 Second Attack and Goemon was to get some Konami representation on the system and a couple of multiplayer games on there. Mischief Makers & Sin & Punishment were made by acclaimed developers Treasure and both are regarded as classics for the system. Finally Ogre Battle is one of the few strategy games on the system and is the one game they like re-releasing all the time so it makes sense to include it here.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Nice list, Diego! I'd buy that in a heart-beat. If I was in charge and trying to line-up alongside all the other Classic collections...

1080 Snowboarding
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack
Donkey Kong 64
Goemon's Great Adventure
F-Zero X
Lylat Wars
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Mischief Makers
Paper Mario
Pokemon Puzzle League
Sin and Punishment
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Wave Race 64
Yoshi Story

If Nintendo really wanted to create buzz for the system, they'd HAVE to get Goldeneye 007 on there. Even though it hasn't aged well, that was the game that really got people talking and sells the 4-player couch play the most.

However trying to be realistic I included most of the first party games, most of the licensed Nintendo games and the rest were devoted to the hardcore fans just to appease them. Bomberman 64 Second Attack and Goemon was to get some Konami representation on the system and a couple of multiplayer games on there. Mischief Makers & Sin & Punishment were made by acclaimed developers Treasure and both are regarded as classics for the system. Finally Ogre Battle is one of the few strategy games on the system and is the one game they like re-releasing all the time so it makes sense to include it here.

It'd be hard to get a mix of big hits while also including cult classics. Another game that neither of us has mentioned is Pokemon snap.

Also on Chrono trigger, just looking at a few reactions of the mini snes on twitter, a rumour going around is that it's coming to the switch.

perverse

Referee
I like Pete's list, but I'd make the following modifications (whilst fully recognising some of these titles are in intellectual property purgatory in all likelihood)

1080 Snowboarding
Banjo Kazooie
Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X
Lylat Wars
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark

Paper Mario
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Snap

Sin and Punishment
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Wave Race 64
Yoshi Story

I'd love to find room for a San Francisco Rush title, too... although I'm not sure what I could cut if I had to keep it to 21. I'm a little disappointed that Pilotwings didn't make the cut on the SNES classic. Would love to see a modern take on the series on the Switch.

Wato

Juniors
This looks great I have an NES mini and it is a great way to play these old games but I don't think I will be picking up the SNES just a few too many new games I want to play plus I am holding out on a switch hoping for a bundle closer to Christmas. It is a great list of games thou and Nintendo have done a great job with these mini consoles would love to see Sony do something similar with a mini PS1.

Big Pete

Referee
Realistically Snap would be preferred over either one of those Konami or Treasure games and I thought about that as well, but I couldn't help myself and wanted to give the list some variety. I could see Puzzle League getting in - Nintendo loves Panel de Pon, but due to the Tetris license they've been unable to release it out in the west which is why Japan is getting Tetris Attack and we're getting Kirby's Dream Course.

It's hard not listing every single Rare game - even the arcade port of Killer Instinct Gold and Mickey's Speedway were all fine games. Let's say if Nintendo placed a limitation and were only willing to negotiate for three slots, what would you guys have? For mine, Goldeneye 007 and Banjo Kazooie are locks. It would come down to the third slot which is so tough to choose from between Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. If it was up to me, I'd have to go with Conker. Even though you could argue the others do a better job of representing their genre, Conker was one of those games that was so of it's time and would stand out better than the other games on the list. You really couldn't go wrong but I think those three games were the games that defined Rare on the N64.

Big Pete

Referee
This looks great I have an NES mini and it is a great way to play these old games but I don't think I will be picking up the SNES just a few too many new games I want to play plus I am holding out on a switch hoping for a bundle closer to Christmas. It is a great list of games thou and Nintendo have done a great job with these mini consoles would love to see Sony do something similar with a mini PS1.

Don't even get me started on a PS1 classic. My mind is already doing backflips putting together these old school compilations.

Whoever is in charge of this has one of the cooler jobs going. Could you imagine some of the heated arguments over in Nintendo HQ?

PS1 Classic
Alundra
Ape Escape
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Team Racing
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Gran Turismo 2
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
MediEvil
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil II
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
PaRappa The Rapper
Silent Hill
Soul Blade
Spyro The Dragon 2
Suikoden 2
Syphon Filter 2
Tekken 3
Xenogears

And I feel like I'm forgetting some obvious ones.

Last edited: