What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Dugan

st.phil

Bench
Ok so I know we have the “sign no di(kheads” policy but surely that was a luxury of more prosperous times…besides with the generation of footy players we have coming through the NRL that will become ever more prohibitive. Once the raiders sack Dugan (and they will) I would be straight on the blower with a 3 year $1.5 mil deal and get him in the Red V. Has the makings of a Carney style human interest recovery story…maybe he’s misunderstood? We’ll teach him not to drink vodka cruisers at least.

Seriously though – we have reportedly sniffed around before and are the only team with cap space. Also his father is apparently a rabbid Dragons fan.

SIGN THE DUGAN!

Ok so I know we have the ?sign no di(kheads? policy but surely that was a luxury of more prosperous times?besides with the generation of footy players we have coming through the NRL that will become ever more prohibitive. Once the raiders sack Dugan (and they will) I would be straight on the blower with a 3 year $1.5 mil deal and get him in the Red V. Has the makings of a Carney style human interest recovery story?maybe he?s misunderstood? We?ll teach him not to drink vodka cruisers at least.

Seriously though ? we have reportedly sniffed around before and are the only team with cap space. Also his father is apparently a rabbid Dragons fan.

SIGN THE DUGAN!

Haha isnt every player we chase, parents massive Dragons fans never seems to help...
Gun player i guess i would sign him but iam thinking this kid as massive issues with partying and just being a total dick..
If we get him good if not wouldnt lose a nights sleep either...

ghostface

Juniors
It's a high risk high reward signing. I would sign him in a heart beat. No doubt there would be some concerns particularly with a massive focus on players off field behavior.

Sponsorship dollars are so important in ensuring a commercially viable organisation, sometimes all it takes is the action of one idiot to drive sponsors away. From all reports Dugan is a knob but there are very few players with Dugans talent. He could fit into that big fish in a small pond scenario and a change of scenery may be what's required for Dugan.

Fullback is fast becoming the most important position in the game and Dugan when fit is one of the games best fullbacks.

Last edited:

tumbidragon

First Grade
We all no the kid can play when a) he want's to, b) He's not injured and c) He's not being an utter wank! We already have a number of injury liabilities in our cap e.g. The Stanley kids and Weyman (ACL's a terrible injury to recover from, especially for a big fella like mick).
Think we finally have our 1 in Beale, who looked very dangerous on several occasions on Sunday. That leaves two positions open for Jed if we were to sign him. That would be in the centers and possibly 5/8 IMO. I personally say NO, but I would not argue if we signed him on for a "probationary" year @ 350-400K, which I believe is the going rate for a good center and a 1st grade half. Definitely would not be the worst signing in the world.

tumbidragon

First Grade
We all no the kid can play when a) he want's to, b) He's not injured and c) He's not being an utter wank! We already have a number of injury liabilities in our cap e.g. The Stanley kids and Weyman (ACL's a terrible injury to recover from, especially for a big fella like mick).
Think we finally have our 1 in Beale, who looked very dangerous on several occasions on Sunday. That leaves two positions open for Jed if we were to sign him. That would be in the centers and possibly 5/8 IMO. I personally say NO, but I would not argue if we signed him on for a "probationary" year @ 350-400K, which I believe is the going rate for a good center and a 1st grade half. Definitely would not be the worst signing in the world.

In saying that, Beale could just as easily make a successful transition to the halves for Jed to play in the #1.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Why bother with a jerk....he won't change under a clueless Price. It will just reunite the 2 party boys with attitude problems. Vidot doesn't need to go back to old habits, he's probably on his last chance. I'd rather stick with Beale and then back Cummins as the next in waiting.

bottle

Coach
Players like Bogan NEVER change. Let me say that again....NEVER.
People refer to Carney. He's had one good year and folded when the pressure was on in both the GF and SOO arenas. He's no example to go by.

In the old times of Smith and Raper it didn't matter because it wasn't as publicly exposed. Today these idiots have access to Twitter and Instagram and advertise their stupidity. It's a disaster waiting to unfold.
With injuries and abject stupidity factored in the risk is greater than the reward in my opinion. Unless his value drops so much that it's a no brainer. I can't see that being the case.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
It would be so cool to have him and Vidot back at the same club. He'd blend right in at Shellharbor.

Sign him up, he's a talent. I really like Beale though.

Fire

First Grade
His ex-Canberra team mates will definitely talk the place up.

I can't really see Doust and Price making this signing. They don't go near players with his loose off field behaviour.

I wouldn't mind him here. Could we develop him into a right centre? Hmmm, dunno, as I would like to see Beale get a fair crack at full back.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Just read this article

AN EXPLETIVE-laden blow-up with coach David Furner shapes as the final straw in Josh Dugan's tumultuous career at Canberra. The star fullback will front the Raiders board tomorrow to explain a 24-hour bender with teammate Blake Ferguson after Sunday's heavy loss to Penrith.
Both players have been stood down indefinitely, but Dugan might not be seen in lime green again after engaging Furner in a heated and abusive verbal confrontation yesterday morning.
After he missed both Monday's recovery session and yesterday's weights program, a fuming Furner confronted Dugan at the ACT residence where he'd spent much of the previous day and night drinking with Ferguson and other non-footballing friends.
Dugan was equally angry with the coach, who is believed to have questioned his opening round effort. The pair traded colourful insults and remarks, with the 22-year-old showing scant respect for Furner's authority.

Dugan then travelled to Sydney to meet with his management, where he spent last night.
He's expected to return to the ACT later today, with Raiders management already ordering Dugan to attend the board meeting
Chairman John McIntyre indicated last night the club was prepared to counsel Dugan through his issues, but working under Furner now appears an unlikely task after yesterday's stunning exchange. McIntyre was aware of the Furner incident, but refused to confirm Dugan's days were numbered. "He's got some issues and we need to help him with that," McIntyre said.
Dugan took to Twitter to apologise for breaking team protocol and revealed the extent of his problems.
"I apologise to my teammates and the fans but this is personal and needs to be sorted out as soon as possible for me to move forward," Dugan tweeted. "This goes beyond the drinking while injured. Yes I've broken team rules but for me it goes deeper and I plan on sorting it out."
Most thought Dugan was referring to his private life, which includes an up-and-down relationship with his long-term partner, who is also pregnant with the couple's first child.
But his close associates and friends knew better, having been made aware of Dugan's deteriorating respect for Furner over the off-season.
He's also expressed private regrets over re-signing last February in preference to a lucrative offer from Canterbury. That attitude has not impressed the Raiders' senior leadership group, which includes co-captains David Shillington and Josh McCrone, Shaun Fensom, Brett White, Shaun Berrigan and Tom Leoroyd-Lahrs.
They met yesterday and agreed that Dugan and Ferguson must be dumped from the side to tackle the Gold Coast.
It's the second time in the past 12 months they've been stood down, with the pair also missing last year's Round 12 clash against Souths for drinking while injured.
Ferguson was also fined $5000 for spitting at a patron at an ACT music festival over Christmas, but is expected to survive because his attitude towards football and training has generally remained positive.
St George Illawarra shape as an obvious option should Dugan leave the Raiders. The Dragons have plenty of
space to move under this year's salary cap and coach Steve Price attempted to woo Dugan to the club last year.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ach-david-furner/story-e6frexnr-1226595932545

Now my opinion is f**k No! We don't need a divisive little toss bag like that at the club poisoning the already shaky "rebuild" phase the club is in.

Last edited:

Divine

Bench
Would he change his ways at the Dragons? Would he listen to our core of ex-international players (Hornby, Young , Dell & Gaz) still active with the club? Either way a few lessons in self-preservation both on and off the field would not go astray. Interesting dilemma.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
There's only one place for d*ckheads who like to party...get s*tfaced and cause a scandal...The Roosters

Watch this space

jenninga

First Grade
Players like Bogan NEVER change. Let me say that again....NEVER.
People refer to Carney. He's had one good year and folded when the pressure was on in both the GF and SOO arenas. He's no example to go by.

In the old times of Smith and Raper it didn't matter because it wasn't as publicly exposed. Today these idiots have access to Twitter and Instagram and advertise their stupidity. It's a disaster waiting to unfold.
With injuries and abject stupidity factored in the risk is greater than the reward in my opinion. Unless his value drops so much that it's a no brainer. I can't see that being the case.
In the old days the older players would have smacked himinto line,now there is no respect for the more experienced.
The NRL should step in with a press conference and declare any player who is in breach of club protocol and contract is terminated will not be playing for 12 months,similar conditions to a drug ban,and no Super League either.
F#*king sick of these overpaid assholes abusing the privelage of playing the game we all love and treating us like sh*t.

DirtyHarry

Juniors
No question he's got talent, but.......

he's injury prone
he's undisciplined
we've just signed Beale as our F/B & he should be given the chance to make it his own

A couple of years ago I would have salivated at the prospect

BennyV

Referee
I would sign him if 2 things happen:
1) His price tag is relatively low (which for him would be an average first grade contract, $300k perhaps)
2) He is treated like Carney was at Sharks; guys like Cooper, Weyman, and even recent retirees Young/Hornby take him under their wing, teach him a big of respect, and give him some respect in return. He COULD shape into a classy centre or 5/8, exactly what we need. High risk, yes...high reward, yes...its toss of a coin really...

Wouldn't get rid of Beale for fullback though

Godz Illa

Coach
bottle.. "never" is a big call, even in lower case. Although Carney did fold like a cheap suit on GF day, I think that has more to do with his shortcomings as a player rather than his dickheadedness, because it's hard to deny that his "atrocities" and misbehaviour off-field have reduced quite a bit in recent times.

Dugan is a dickhead atm, sure. And an injury risk. But it maybe a risk we have to take. We've hit a point in the grand salary cap cycle where we have money to spend and a 22 year old rep-standard player in a key position may be on the market. You'd have to trust that the club culture will affect him, rather than vice versa.

Let's take his personality away for a moment. How many games has Dugan played in the last two seasons? f**k all. He is injury prone and a dickhead. Yes he has talent, but he is clearly high risk in more than onwards.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
bottle.. "never" is a big call, even in lower case. Although Carney did fold like a cheap suit on GF day, I think that has more to do with his shortcomings as a player rather than his dickheadedness, because it's hard to deny that his "atrocities" and misbehaviour off-field have reduced quite a bit in recent times.

Dugan is a dickhead atm, sure. And an injury risk. But it maybe a risk we have to take. We've hit a point in the grand salary cap cycle where we have money to spend and a 22 year old rep-standard player in a key position may be on the market. You'd have to trust that the club culture will affect him, rather than vice versa.

That there is a very good point. Saint's aren't exactly known for having a history of off-field issues (as opposed to clubs like Roosters, Dogs, Canberra). In fact, the closest thing in recent years I can think of is Mundine's comments after the 99 GF, or Gas with the 'fire up' phone call (which technically isn't a dragons issue). A good club culture can't be understated...

Latest posts