What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signing News

hazzbeen

Bench
There is a long list of teenagers playing FG for other clubs right now. Nathan Cleary being the most prominent.
There is absolutely no reason why McGregor should not be methodically trying our teenagers out.
Dufty is an obvious choice but I also feel that Field's cameos were absolutely shattering for the young guy.
10 minutes off the bench when the game is done and dusted, is not my idea of promoting young talent.
What irked me the most is when both Dugan and Widdop were injured and, even then, McGregor didn't try the likes of Dufty.
Instead, he opted for Nightingale who filled in admirably but at the cost of losing him as a winger.
In contrast, look at the way Bellamy brings his youngsters through?
They are busting to please the coach and he provides a simple and structured path into the top team.
In the end, they will walk over broken glass for Bellamy.
That's is the single biggest reason we are riding this roller coaster with McGregor.
He is just not in the same class as the top liners.
It is really difficult to follow the logic but coaching aptitude has a lot to do with it.
Could not have said it any better ,( when both Dugan and Widdop were injured) This is where he falls down for me , perfect opportunity to try Dufty , Field , Mann ...... Did the same last year with JDB to the halves . Dragons Footy .....

Gareth67

First Grade
There is a long list of teenagers playing FG for other clubs right now. Nathan Cleary being the most prominent.
There is absolutely no reason why McGregor should not be methodically trying our teenagers out.
Dufty is an obvious choice but I also feel that Field's cameos were absolutely shattering for the young guy.
10 minutes off the bench when the game is done and dusted, is not my idea of promoting young talent.
What irked me the most is when both Dugan and Widdop were injured and, even then, McGregor didn't try the likes of Dufty.
Instead, he opted for Nightingale who filled in admirably but at the cost of losing him as a winger.
They are busting to please the coach and he provides a simple and structured path into the top team.
That's is the single biggest reason we are riding this roller coaster with McGregor.
It is really difficult to follow the logic but coaching aptitude has a lot to do with it.

Ever so much , it is amazing how some coaches chose these youngsters in the top grade, to fill that vacuum created by injury or whatever .

By so doing the said coaches show faith in those players and I am quite sure that the coach would have a quite word in their ear and explain that he is not expecting him to get the ' man of the match award ' , but to go out and do your best , tackle your man and hang on to the ball .

The youngster gains confidence by knowing this and experience by playing in 1st grade .
Once again I believe that the savy coach would see this as ' blooding ' a lower grade player , not as I believe as Mary would , as taking a chance , a risk . In other words by playing it safe , sitting on the fence and the team should make it to the semi's .

Last edited:

Redhoopz

Juniors

I agree 100%... I don't see how that's beneficial to send a player on for 10 minutes and then not pick them the following week.

Unfortunately while we are in contention to make the finals, Mary won't change a thing.

It's also annoying that a player like Matthews was out for half a year and then after one game (they got flogged) he's automatically back in the 21. I know he didn't end up playing but it just highlights the fact that Mary has his favorites. It's not as if he was a stand out player before he was injured.

I don't know why our club always stall the young players progression into FG, they're our future and the club can't afford to make another mistake ala Bird.

Ever so much , it is amazing how some coaches chose these youngsters in the top grade, to fill that vacuum created by injury or whatever .

By so doing the said coaches show faith in those players and I am quite sure that the coach would have a quite word in their ear and explain that he is not expecting him to get the ' man of the match award ' , but to go out and do your best , tackle your man and hang on to the ball .

The youngster gains confidence by knowing this and experience by playing in 1st grade .
Once again I believe that the savy coach would see this as ' blooding ' slower grade player , not as I believe as Mary would , as taking a chance , a risk . In other words by playing it safe , sitting on the wall and the team should make it to the semi's .

Unfortunately that Mcmediocre's definition of success, going out in the first week of the semis.

Aim low and you'll occasionally hit your goals.

Dragsters

First Grade

Once again I believe that the savy coach would see this as ' blooding ' slower grade player , not as I believe as Mary would , as taking a chance , a risk . In other words by playing it safe , sitting on the wall and the team should make it to the semi's .

Too true.

A coaches confidence has been instrumental in developing many a rookie into a quality first grader...

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Outstanding prospect. You have to keep reminding yourself how young he is.
Classic build for a centre. Strong and fast and sets up his outside man very well. Excellent goal kicker. And I love seeing young players like this who are so confident. He has it all.

Spot on duck and a nice kid to boot

Ex goon

Juniors
Fact is these kids are on incentive based contracts. Lawrie Field Dufty etc.
One of them needs to play 2 more FG games to collect a tidy 6 figure sum.
Guess what it won't happen because there is no money left in the cupboard.
Field will be starting at FB in the under 20s this week, very disheartening for the boy given the big hoo haa when he was selected in FG and did nothing wrong to be dropped. Millward needs to be accountable for this.

Field will be starting at FB in the under 20s this week, very disheartening for the boy given the big hoo haa when he was selected in FG and did nothing wrong to be dropped. Millward needs to be accountable for this.

You might wanna include Doust in that, he's the reason they are scrapping around for loose change to pay the bills.

Life's Good

Coach
Spot on. This is what I have been thinking & posting. Either Mary is plain stubborn, lacks tactical nouse or there is a power play between him & Millward about juniors/recruitment/retention. Whatever the reason it is becoming clear that the 'organic growth' plan is a bit flat.

Spot on. This is what I have been thinking & posting. Either Mary is plain stubborn, lacks tactical nouse or there is a power play between him & Millward about juniors/recruitment/retention. Whatever the reason it is becoming clear that the 'organic growth' plan is a bit flat.

There is every chance we just haven't got the money to pay the bonuses if they play first grade.

How on earth do you know where field is going to be playing this weekend are you snoopy collins.

I am not sure where some of your information has come from but I have serious doubts half of it is even true.

One of them needs to play 2 more first grade games you say funny how Field is the only one who has actually played first grade and how on earth do you know what they will get paid.

I do agree Field getting dropped from the NSW Cup isn't great but his form hasn't been overly exciting and a drop down to get some confidence back the same as Garrick.

hazzbeen

Bench
If so, then our club is in a very poor state.
If that the case they should sack from Doust and the board and the board overseeing the coach , and might as well boot the whole coaching staff .... throw in the groundsmen , janitor , the doormen the girl on the front desk ..... Lets start all over again .....

Life's Good

Coach
If that the case they should sack from Doust and the board and the board overseeing the coach , and might as well boot the whole coaching staff .... throw in the groundsmen , janitor , the doormen the girl on the front desk ..... Lets start all over again .....
I often dream of working in a place where there is no accountability. I wonder if a job such as this exists. I then look at our club.....

possm

Coach
Mess

possm

Coach
How on earth do you know where field is going to be playing this weekend are you snoopy collins.

I am not sure where some of your information has come from but I have serious doubts half of it is even true.

One of them needs to play 2 more first grade games you say funny how Field is the only one who has actually played first grade and how on earth do you know what they will get paid.

I do agree Field getting dropped from the NSW Cup isn't great but his form hasn't been overly exciting and a drop down to get some confidence back the same as Garrick.
Field has been brought into the NRL squad and his contract was upgraded last year so money is not the issue. His form has not been great but neither has his team mate's form so I don't think this is the reason.

I'd day Field needs to play x number of games in the NYC to qualify for a final's appearance so he may be a replacement for an injured player or just an interchange to qualify him for the NYC finals.

possm

Coach
It's a mess and has been a mess for a long time.

possm

Coach
I often dream of working in a place where there is no accountability. I wonder if a job such as this exists. I then look at our club.....
You've hit the nail on the head. A subject never spoken out loud at Board level I'm sure.

A change of ownership would most likely bring accountability to every job, including the Board. I feel certain such a change would bring about immediate change and success.

Latest posts