What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signing News

OzDragon

Coach
Recruitment from outside the Club should be like for like or better. Promotion from inside the Club should be the potential to be like for like or better by end of off-season training.

Unless Millward goes after Hayne, we should be testing Field, Dugty and Mann from next game on, with Dugan at right centre.

For the remainder of the season, we should be testing in turn, Kerr and Lawrie off the bench from next week on.

From this testing we should be able to make some decisions on recruiting.
Possum mate give up on Hayne lol

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Don't mind Lussick. He's big and aggressive. Dick head? Can't say. Injury prone? He's just coming back off a long layoff and playing reserves so who knows.

I can understand why we would be looking for another prop. But why would we be looking at Walker or Johnston? I thought we had good juniors coming through.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I wonder if we need another forward as I would prefer to give Lawrie and Hind a go.
What do the Under 20's gurus think of Jack Murchie who hails fron Gerringong and plays for Canberra. He is in the Junior State of Origin team.

Good player but I think Canberra have him under raps

saintm

Juniors
If we are signing the two players from South's , to play fullback and wing I'd rather 1 as a winger as for fullback can't understand why we are looking outside the club . Dufty is there and Mann , if for some reason we are not going to sign Mann he would my first choice
Totally agree with Dufty would do a great job if given a go.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
How about we sign some good young players like Dufty, Field, Lawrie or Kerr.
NSW Cup team running 5th, for and against is negative 24.

U20s for and against is negative 13 and running 3rd.

Been belted a few times in 2017.

A lot of names are thrown around saying they are ready for first grade.

Not so sure.

Lets see the NSW Cup team was ripped apart with key players leaving and numerous players injured.

This year is a year for allowing players to develop and thats exactly whats happening at the exspense of results yet still they are still in contention for a finals birth.

The under 20's team has only 2 players that are 20 the rest are in their first year out of the SG Ball so for them to be sitting third is fantatsic.

You have to actually give players ago to see if they are actually ready.

hazzbeen

Bench

Not so sure.
Not sure also , but we will never know if they are not given a chance . Agree that the teams are not going great , but they just might play better amongst better players ....

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Not sure also , but we will never know if they are not given a chance . Agree that the teams are not going great , but they just might play better amongst better players ....
Agree we could give them a go.

So if we put Dugan to centre to allow Field or Dufty play FB, who is likely to be dropped from centre, Milne?

If Milne is dropped, i think most of this forum wanted / demanded Milne be included in firsts, and finally he was.

If Milne is moved to wing to free up centre for Dugan, flo or McDonald will need to be dropped.

And Mann still has to be fitted in.

If Field and / or Dufty are promoted, what is your team?

If we also promote a junior forward, who goes from the team?

Old Timer

Coach

Not so sure.
Rabbitohs are running 14th & - 65 and some people are adamant we should buy some of their players.
Lots of ways to interpret stats but only one way to find out if a player is ready.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree we could give them a go.

So if we put Dugan to centre to allow Field or Dufty play FB, who is likely to be dropped from centre, Milne?

If Milne is dropped, i think most of this forum wanted / demanded Milne be included in firsts, and finally he was.

If Milne is moved to wing to free up centre for Dugan, flo or McDonald will need to be dropped.

And Mann still has to be fitted in.

If Field and / or Dufty are promoted, what is your team?

If we also promote a junior forward, who goes from the team?
While Dugan was out we could have tried Dufty or Mann at fullback or Field or Field to 5/8 Mann to fullback we could have tried while we had injuries . Instead they went for Nighty .( nothing wrong with that )

hazzbeen

Bench
Can't agree with you there. Unless we're playing Newcastle at home, but I'd still be sceptical. I'd only throw them in if 1 of our starters is injured or not performing.
Mate I see what you are saying , but we dont do that , how many times over the last couple of years have they given someone a chance when as you say a starter is injured or not playing well , as is now Dugan injured nothing changes .....

Frank Facer

First Grade
Can't agree with you there. Unless we're playing Newcastle at home, but I'd still be sceptical. I'd only throw them in if 1 of our starters is injured or not performing.
Where I am coming from is that it is better to blood a young player into a team that is winning and has good forward pack as opposed to blooding a rookie into a losing team with a weak forward pack. I think a rookie will have an easier time entering a stable winning team with a good forward pack. There is more chance of a player's confidence being rocked if they get blooded into a losing team with a weak forward pack.

I also think it is harder for an opposition team to target a young rookie in a team that is winning, has a dominate forward pack and is playing with confidence. While it is easier to target a rookie in a team that is not winning, has a weak forward pack and is down on confidence, as we were last year.

I will also add that I do not think that we a realistic chance of winning the comp this year. If we could blood Field or Dufty this year and they are a success, then with the addition of Hunt, we could be a genuine premiership contender, but we still need a replacement for Packer.