What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signing News

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Bennett gave us 3 good years but since he left the Saints they have been a mess which Mary is slowly fixing and getting to a team it was when Browny was coach. They are starting to play like a Nathan Brown coached side with some flair.
How the club let Beau Scott, Neville Costigan, Smith and Boyd all leave and then not bother to replace any with similar quality players was a derelection of duty.
I understand Boyd was always going to follow Bennett, but to not cover those key player losses was incredible head in sand stuff.

possm

Coach
Trouble is we think game wrapped up 20 minutes to go put them on. Mary thinks , no wait until 7 minutes to go ! This is very frustrating. With the way he is handling the interchange and selections I'm glad he has got nothing to do with recruitment .
If Mary had nothing to do with coaching at the Dragons, Millward could report to the next head coach and we would have even less problems. At the moment we have too many young guns not ready for first grade, or at least not tested for first grade. We are not replacing like for like or better, who knows what they are doing with the cap money.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
How the club let Beau Scott, Neville Costigan, Smith and Boyd all leave and then not bother to replace any with similar quality players was a derelection of duty.
I understand Boyd was always going to follow Bennett, but to not cover those key player losses was incredible head in sand stuff.
In the same way that so far Millward has not covered for Dugan or Packer and has not retained Lafai, Milne or Mann. There will be another long period of squad development, if things aren't addressed like for like or better.

It may very well be the Club's biggest mess in it's history, given that we have spent 2m dollars on our halves and in 2017 have a very well balanced forward pack.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Exactly
And we now find ourselves in the same situation.Lets hope the club has learnt from their past but i'm not confident.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When Bennett left they put the wrong man in charge of the rebuild in Muppet Price. He had BMoz who was at his prime and could have played the Boyd role. Hasler bought him to play that role and due to injury did not work out. He also had a younger Nighty. There were replacements for Boyd and those 2 would have done a great job. He could have also moved Hornby there. Bennett left with a few key players but the muppet made the bigger mess actually with his mismanagement of the roster.

Doust's only mistake was listening to Bennett who told him Price was the man to take over and not go for an experienced coach.

Gareth67

First Grade

With the exception of Boyd , the others were all hard nosed forwards that rubbed opposing forward pack noses , into the dirt for 3 years , that was such a pleasure to watch .

Each was tough and uncompromising in their work ethic and as you say saintsarealive , not to have others of a similar quality was indeed a dereliction of duty and bordering on criminal negligence by the club .

Costigan was a particular favourite of mine , geeze that bloke knew how to tackle !
However , moving on to now , they must replace Packer with another ' mongrel ' prop , even if it means casting a wider net to the ESL or to the Land of The Long White Cloud .

There is a player out there , Recruitment needs to work overtime to find him , as I like any other Dragon fan does not want all the good work that the team has done so far this year , to be wasted next season , for lack off a suitable ' dog bite dog ' prop .

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
When Bennett left they put the wrong man in charge of the rebuild in Muppet Price. He had BMoz who was at his prime and could have played the Boyd role. Hasler bought him to play that role and due to injury did not work out. He also had a younger Nighty. There were replacements for Boyd and those 2 would have done a great job. He could have also moved Hornby there. Bennett left with a few key players but the muppet made the bigger mess actually with his mismanagement of the roster.

Doust's only mistake was listening to Bennett who told him Price was the man to take over and not go for an experienced coach.
Doust should have gone with Bennett , all it did was buy Doust and his clan another 7, easy years after wining in 2010 with no thought of structure after Bennett .....

saintsarealive1

Juniors

Come on mate... Smith, Costigan, Beau Scott was what stuffed us. Three great players out of the pack. Try and have any team cover that!!

You cant.

Cowboys lose Scott and JT and look average.

2 players!

GC Dragon

Juniors
If Saints are looking for a good forward they should maybe go for Agnasius Paasi from the Titans. He is an absolute gun. Tore us apart in 1 game a couple of years ago. Young with plenty of ticker.
Absolutely agree . I have watched him for the last 2 years and he is a wrecking ball. 120kgs with a fantastic offload . Fast play the ball and comes off the fence . Seen a interview with him he is 25 with 2 young kids on peanuts at the Titans and looking to secure his future .

I remember the Titans chasing him but they has to offload Mark Ioana to get him . I watched Paasi's first game for the Titans and thought no wonder they were so fast to release Ioana to us .

red rocket

Juniors
Exactly
And we now find ourselves in the same situation.Lets hope the club has learnt from their past but i'm not confident.
Big sports breakfast this morning said that ben hunt will not be the highest paid player at the club next year information came from our board Millward had an ace up his sleeve just telling what they said. Got me stuffed who it could be

Old Timer

Coach
Could it be Hayne?
I certainly hope not.
If we bring anyone in on a salary higher than Hunt we are an absolute joke especially having let Packer & Dugan go over due to money issues.
The only players one could think of being worth more than him are Cronk, JT, Johnstone ??. and because we didn't have 1 of those is the very reason we went for Hunt.
Maybe the only other options would be GI to FB highly doubtful, Sam Burgess for Packer and surely we are not stupid enough to fall for that or is SBW due back to our code yet?

hazzbeen

Bench
I certainly hope not.
If we bring anyone in on a salary higher than Hunt we are an absolute joke especially having let Packer & Dugan go over due to money issues.
The only players one could think of being worth more than him are Cronk, JT, Johnstone ??. and because we didn't have 1 of those is the very reason we went for Hunt.
Maybe the only other options would be GI to FB highly doubtful, Sam Burgess for Packer and surely we are not stupid enough to fall for that or is SBW due back to our code yet?
Could be Doust has given himself a pay rise ......:)

possm

Coach
Could be Doust has given himself a pay rise ......:)
Hayne has not committed to Titans, tonight is the deadline.
Cronk would great for a year or two with Widdop at 1.
Madge might just be bringing Sam Burgess with him.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Well I have NFI whom this rumour could possibly be, but I know it won't be Cronk....he'll retire and make a very successful career in the media.

Latest posts