What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

Overseas dragon

Juniors
A back 5 with a total of about 30 NRL games will get creamed.
Our edge defence is bad enough without playing with only one edge backrower.
Timm and Marsters are gone.
Yes let's put the old faithful boys back in and see them get flogged every week are you related to the great one......much more than 30

TruSaint

Referee
C'mon Saints, get Millward on the job. :):):)

74528103_2529390687150852_2479668448876036096_n.jpg

George Dragon

Juniors
Yes let's put the old faithful boys back in and see them get flogged every week are you related to the great one......much more than 30
Throwing 5 rookies in is not going to fix the problem, Just to be accurate i looked up the games 49 in total 42 starting.. "are you related to the great one" f**king stupid argument, try harder next time.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Now Souths apparently after Tyson. I suppose we can say it is all a media beat up but now two clubs have been linked with him. I think even if we keep him for 2020, at the end of next season he will be gone. Don’t worry though, Mary’s job is safe. We are a basket case.

George Dragon

Juniors
Now Souths apparently after Tyson. I suppose we can say it is all a media beat up but now two clubs have been linked with him. I think even if we keep him for 2020, at the end of next season he will be gone. Don’t worry though, Mary’s job is safe. We are a basket case.
Any decent player coming off contract at the Dragons will be targeted.
Tyson Luch Zac, next year it will be Cam and Paul

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
Matterson - Leilua swap now on .. dragons spoke to Matterson agent yesterday and tigers considering the straight swap .. reported in SMH today

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Throwing 5 rookies in is not going to fix the problem, Just to be accurate i looked up the games 49 in total 42 starting.. "are you related to the great one" f**king stupid argument, try harder next time.
In your humble opinion of course......i guess BATHS BABES, doesn't conjure up anything in your mindset, or at origin time a team of kids wins over the old brigade. Sure let's keep playing Latimore, rein, Mcrone and all of Mary's favorite players..... Yes great idea let's not pick them till they have a seniors card.....

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
In your humble opinion of course......i guess BATHS BABES, doesn't conjure up anything in your mindset, or at origin time a team of kids wins over the old brigade. Sure let's keep playing Latimore, rein, Mcrone and all of Mary's favorite players..... Yes great idea let's not pick them till they have a seniors card.....
I'm not sure that is what he is saying.
He is merely pointing out that in his opinion the side as suggested would struggle on the basis of the back 5 and he points to a player out of position, rookies with no real 1st grade exposure to show his reasoning and then points out a soft edge to the forwards would exacerbate the situation and in fact I agree with him.
It's a fair assessment for someone to make based on the evidence at hand and taking into consideration the coaching structure we have.
Bath's babes were indeed excellent but the infrastructure surrounding them allowed it to happen and of course they had a coach who could actually coach.
We have no such support for our team as it stands.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm not sure that is what he is saying.
He is merely pointing out that in his opinion the side as suggested would struggle on the basis of the back 5 and he points to a player out of position, rookies with no real 1st grade exposure to show his reasoning and then points out a soft edge to the forwards would exacerbate the situation and in fact I agree with him.
It's a fair assessment for someone to make based on the evidence at hand and taking into consideration the coaching structure we have.
Bath's babes were indeed excellent but the infrastructure surrounding them allowed it to happen and of course they had a coach who could actually coach.
We have no such support for our team as it stands.
So the performance issue rests on the shoulders of coaching staff...

But given the only chance to change in the first few rounds will be the players, not the coach, is it not worth trialling something different with the cattle?

Old Timer

Coach
So the performance issue rests on the shoulders of coaching staff...

But given the only chance to change in the first few rounds will be the players, not the coach, is it not worth trialling something different with the cattle?
Nobody is saying don't trial it, they are merely offering their opinions to what will happen if they do.
For the record if the coach is the same then exactly what chance is there of the selections changing?
Nothing is going to change with peanut brain at the helm and the suppositions and propositions offered up by people in this place will meet with some approval and some consternation and the sad part is we will never find out the answers.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons and Tigers consider Matterson-Leilua player swap
Adrian Proszenko
October 29, 2019 — 8.01pm
  • Send via Email
Ryan Matterson could head to St George Illawarra on a player swap with Luciano Leilua in a move that would result in the star forward taking on Wests Tigers in the opening weekend of the 2020 season.

Dragons officials met with Matterson’s management on Tuesday to express their interest and work through a range of scenarios with a view to snaring him.

Matterson’s future remains undecided after the Tigers granted him permission to speak to rival clubs despite having two years remaining on his existing deal. The 25-year-old has been excused from training commitments for “personal reasons” until his future is decided.

87d83912addaca7e63fb2b9e047b4c862a70d281

Ryan Matterson could involved in a player swap with Luciano Leilua.Credit:NRL Photos

The Dragons, Eels, Rabbitohs and Titans are among the contenders for Matterson’s signature. However, the Tigers have made it clear they won’t part company unless they get a favourable outcome in the form of a player swap or financial compensation.

That could potentially be satisfied by Leilua, despite the fact he too is currently under contract. The younger brother of Joseph Leilua has made 43 NRL appearances after making his debut in 2016 but hasn’t nailed a starting spot in coach Paul McGregor’s side.

The Samoan international has shown glimpses of the potential that had him earmarked as one of the most promising young forwards in the game but could benefit from a fresh start.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire is assessing all of his options as several clubs attempt to offload players due to salary cap pressures. Cronulla playmaker Matt Moylan and Titans utility AJ Brimson are other targets the Tigers are considering as Maguire attempts to reshape his roster.

Leilua is an attractive proposition given he could help fill the void that Matterson would leave in the forward pack if the fringe NSW backrower is released.

The Dragons are also mindful that lock Jack de Belin can only return to the side if he is acquitted of rape charges. De Belin’s hearing is scheduled to begin on March 2, with an outcome expected just before the start of the 2020 season. Matterson is viewed as a strong addition to the Red V regardless of de Belin’s availability.

Nine lives: Raiders score TV coup in 2020 NRL draw
With preseason training set to commence for some clubs next week, Matterson is hoping to have his future resolved as soon as possible.

Souths are also a contender for Matterson’s services, particularly if Sam Burgess is forced into premature retirement due to his shoulder issues. How much the Rabbitohs will have to spend will depend on whether the club is granted salary cap dispensation for Burgess.

The transfer market is set to go into overdrive from November 1, the date from which clubs can negotiate with players who are off contract at the end of 2020. The big-name free agents include David Fifita, Jack Wighton, Latrell Mitchell, Jake and Tom Trbojevic, Cody Walker, Jai Arrow, Josh Jackson and Tyson Frizell.

However, there is likely to be more immediate movement as clubs tinker with their rosters ahead of their 2020 campaigns.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...erson-leilua-player-swap-20191029-p535hi.html

Thank you redVinme

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Nobody is saying don't trial it, they are merely offering their opinions to what will happen if they do.
For the record if the coach is the same then exactly what chance is there of the selections changing?
Nothing is going to change with peanut brain at the helm and the suppositions and propositions offered up by people in this place will meet with some approval and some consternation and the sad part is we will never find out the answers.
Given where our season finished this year, there really isn’t much to lose..

The attack of our experienced players was laughable and our right edge leaked points like a cup made of flyscreen..

possm

Coach
It is not a matter or rookies v experience. It is a matter of talent body shape and the ability to perform at first grade level. There are quite a few young players that performed very well in their first year for other NRL teams. A good coach seems to be the main criteria - Manly have two of our youngsters who are playing very well in first grade - AFB and Garrick.

possm

Coach

The attack of our experienced players was laughable and our right edge leaked points like a cup made of flyscreen..
I recall our right side edge defencing very well with Lomax at right centre. Aitken is the prime problem followed by Mary's defensive pattern and most problem the instructions he sends the players out onto the field with.

Old Timer

Coach

The issue is the coach who has everything to lose and will go back to his tried and proved way of retaining his job and being extended
That methodology does not include blooding 5 juniors, nor does it involve picking those who have shown superior form to his favourites, so people can pontificate all they like none of that will happen and if due to unforeseen circumstances it ever did it is obvious that despite the raw talent that they have the lack of preparedness will see it become a dismal failure and careers will be ruined.
Even if Flanno was allowed to take over mid season I very much doubt that he would make wholesale changes straight up. I’m of the opinion he would work with most of what he has got and change the game plan and style before doing anything else.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The issue is the coach who has everything to lose and will go back to his tried and proved way of retaining his job and being extended
That methodology does not include blooding 5 juniors, nor does it involve picking those who have shown superior form to his favourites, so people can pontificate all they like none of that will happen and if due to unforeseen circumstances it ever did it is obvious that despite the raw talent that they have the lack of preparedness will see it become a dismal failure and careers will be ruined.
Even if Flanno was allowed to take over mid season I very much doubt that he would make wholesale changes straight up. I’m of the opinion he would work with most of what he has got and change the game plan and style before doing anything else.
Indeed we have a potato in the coaching chair, however isn’t it wonderful to have the ability to hypothesise what may happen if changes to a playing roster were made...

Latest posts