What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Given where our season finished this year, there really isn’t much to lose..

The attack of our experienced players was laughable and our right edge leaked points like a cup made of flyscreen..

Except he wasn't losing the argument. He's right, throwing in 5 rookies isn't the answer at all. They'll get destroyed.

Sailor had a half-decent run in FG because the opposition didn't prepare for him as much. Remember how good Dufty looked when he first game in? Now i'd be happy to never see him again.
Sailor was barely scraping through in CC, and Ford is not a centre.

The answer is to look and buy elsewhere, not go round the twist with our current backs.

Old Timer

Coach
Indeed we have a potato in the coaching chair, however isn’t it wonderful to have the ability to hypothesise what may happen if changes to a playing roster were made...
Yes that is true
In time with the correct processes in place a far greater % of our younger players would in fact make it to 1st grade and be long term assets to the club thus reducing the reliance on picking up players from other clubs
That would allow us to cherry pick the elite / marquis players that would potentially make that difference towards winning the premiership
All our recent purchases have been little more than stop gap at best coupled with a few bog average cheap releases from other clubs.

possm

Coach
Yes that is true
In time with the correct processes in place a far greater % of our younger players would in fact make it to 1st grade and be long term assets to the club thus reducing the reliance on picking up players from other clubs
That would allow us to cherry pick the elite / marquis players that would potentially make that difference towards winning the premiership
All our recent purchases have been little more than stop gap at best coupled with a few bog average cheap releases from other clubs.
How about:
Body shape
Basic skills
Defensive skills
Speed
A good passing game
The ability to read a game

Be things that pathways staff pay attention to when developing players.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Except he wasn't losing the argument. He's right, throwing in 5 rookies isn't the answer at all. They'll get destroyed.

Sailor had a half-decent run in FG because the opposition didn't prepare for him as much. Remember how good Dufty looked when he first game in? Now i'd be happy to never see him again.

The answer is to look and buy elsewhere, not go round the twist with our current backs.
Of course we need to buy.. But in the situation that we don’t buy, we’re better off using this upcoming development season wasted season to get some experience into the young colts to see if they’re up to it or not..

I’d argue that we’ll end up bottom of the ladder either way.. I’d rather see us go down with flair than what we were dished up this year..

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Of course we need to buy.. But in the situation that we don’t buy, we’re better off using this upcoming development season wasted season to get some experience into the young colts to see if they’re up to it or not..

I’d argue that we’ll end up bottom of the ladder either way.. I’d rather see us go down with flair than what we were dished up this year..
Absolutely agree...

Old Timer

Coach
At least the young forwards have a couple of players that are able to assist them despite the coach and poor game strategy.
The young backs on the other hand are all on a hiding to nothing as the backline is totally devoid of any players that can be relied upon to teach, mentor or support them.
The entire structure is flawed and whilst the sentiment that youth will benefit from playing 1st grade to a point is true the fact remains at our club having 5 young rookies altogether will have no upside whatsoever and the chance that Mc Fookknuckle would stick with them for several weeks is nil.
He would try to find scapegoats and sack them willy nilly destroying any confidence that might have had in the beginning.
No worthwhile signings are coming and no bog average players are leaving so it's groundhog day in spades.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
At least the young forwards have a couple of players that are able to assist them despite the coach and poor game strategy.
The young backs on the other hand are all on a hiding to nothing as the backline is totally devoid of any players that can be relied upon to teach, mentor or support them.
The entire structure is flawed and whilst the sentiment that youth will benefit from playing 1st grade to a point is true the fact remains at our club having 5 young rookies altogether will have no upside whatsoever and the chance that Mc Fookknuckle would stick with them for several weeks is nil.
He would try to find scapegoats and sack them willy nilly destroying any confidence that might have had in the beginning.
No worthwhile signings are coming and no bog average players are leaving so it's groundhog day in spades.
You guys are totally correct regarding the frailties of super coach. It's only my desire to try something new which any idiot knows is mission impossible with the current situation.....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You’re anchoring yourself to the potato again..

Would an team with young colts as outside backs do better than one with Lafai, Aitken et al?

Old Timer

Coach
You’re anchoring yourself to the potato again..

Would an team with young colts as outside backs do better than one with Lafai, Aitken et al?
Wrong conclusion on your part re anchoring to the potato I am merely pointing out the obvious.
In the world of suppositions I firmly believe that the young guys within the squad would get pummelled if all 5 were throw into 1st grade together as previously proposed.
Quite possible that the very best sides could easily put 50 on them.
However in saying that if they were to be mentored, up skilled and persevered with then I would be prepared to cop the early losses for the obvious upside and would whole heartedly support the process.
If the potato isn't mashed then I would feel better that no young careers are jeopardised and that the fodder currently in those positions remain.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Wrong conclusion on your part re anchoring to the potato I am merely pointing out the obvious.
So yes, anchoring your thinking to the current constraint..

In the world of suppositions I firmly believe that the young guys within the squad would get pummelled if all 5 were throw into 1st grade together as previously proposed.
The Broncos took that approach with their forwards last year.. Seemed to go okay?

Quite possible that the very best sides could easily put 50 on them.
We very nearly had 50 put on us a couple of times this year with the experienced players, so again, what is there to lose?

Wittenberg

Juniors

With Frizz and Luch supposedly wanting to leave or being offered for trades, we should worry just as much about who we keep as to who we buy. Regarding Sailor he only is on contract till the end of 2020 and he finishes his degree at Wollongong Uni next year. The Broncos will then swoop. I'm not sure if he is the magnificent player some see or are hoping for. So far I don't see all that more than Dufty or Field did when they first emerged. We need to be careful that we don't equate his name and pedigree with real ability. I'm prepared to wait and see. I hope I get pleasantly surprised.

Old Timer

Coach
So yes, anchoring your thinking to the current constraint..

The Broncos took that approach with their forwards last year.. Seemed to go okay?

We very nearly had 50 put on us a couple of times this year with the experienced players, so again, what is there to lose?
No greater advocate of blooding youth than me. By blooding I mean integration into 1st grade not lambs to the slaughter.
So you are incorrect in your assessment I am wedded to the potato I am merely disagreeing with the alternatives as suggested.

Not a fair comparison of the young Broncos forwards as to our young backs. The young Bronco tyro forwards had some experience, proper transition into the top grade,had hard heads around them and tbh are probably better footballers all round.

Indeed we nearly had 50 against a couple of times. With the side proposed I believe that against the best sides that would happen on multiple occasions.

The simple reality is we have squandered our opportunities with these young players and throwing them in Willy Nilly will not correct that.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No greater advocate of blooding youth than me. By blooding I mean integration into 1st grade not lambs to the slaughter.
So you are incorrect in your assessment I am wedded to the potato I am merely disagreeing with the alternatives as suggested.

Not a fair comparison of the young Broncos forwards as to our young backs. The young Bronco tyro forwards had some experience, proper transition into the top grade,had hard heads around them and tbh are probably better footballers all round.

Indeed we nearly had 50 against a couple of times. With the side proposed I believe that against the best sides that would happen on multiple occasions.

The simple reality is we have squandered our opportunities with these young players and throwing them in Willy Nilly will not correct that.
So you’re saying we’re better off with our 2018 backline vs young colts?

You seem to be forgetting that it’s not a case of an u17’s side being sent out..

It’s 5 exciting prospects (one of which entering his 3rd season of 1st grade, another more than that) led by a state of origin halves pairing, supported by the likes of Graham, Vaughan & Sims...

That to me sounds exciting..

Old Timer

Coach
So you’re saying we’re better off with our 2018 backline vs young colts?

You seem to be forgetting that it’s not a case of an u17’s side being sent out..

It’s 5 exciting prospects (one of which entering his 3rd season of 1st grade, another more than that) led by a state of origin halves pairing, supported by the likes of Graham, Vaughan & Sims...

That to me sounds exciting..
Not sure how you deduce such rubbish from well articulated posts and gotta love how you disguise your assumptions in a question.

The side being debated nominated this as the back 5
1 Sailor
2Pearson
3Lomax
4 ford
5 Saab
So I take it you mean Lomax is entering his 3rd year and if so you are stretching it because he played a couple of games in 2018 hardly a "season" as you put it.
I am pondering who you say is > 3 years maybe you can enlighten us with who and how many games in each season that makes you conclude they are more seasoned than I think they are?

Led by a state of origin halves pairing is a huge stretch even for you. Ben Hunt the ditched Qld half and Corey Norman who was a complete bolter and most likely will never pull a Qld jumper on again.

You obviously didn't see how much support our forwards offered last year and you also rate them much more highly than I do.
Graham is a lemon and Vaughan & Sims both regressed compared to the year before and in light of all available evidence I don't see them improving in the current system.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Argueing about the make-up of the backline is pointless, without confirmation of who will be the fullback.
The contenders:
Dufty
Sailor
Lomax
Norman
And there are others, such as:
Schiller
Ramsay
Plus the rumoured:
Gigot

Anyone of those would create a domino effect on other posituons within the team.
And yet still we wait for any announcements from the club.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not sure how you deduce such rubbish from well articulated posts and gotta love how you disguise your assumptions in a question.
Keep the cosy on your teapot, no need to get feisty..

The side being debated nominated this as the back 5
1 Sailor
2Pearson
3Lomax
4 ford
5 Saab
This is correct.. Would you prefer Lafai and Aiken in there?
So I take it you mean Lomax is entering his 3rd year and if so you are stretching it because he played a couple of games in 2018 hardly a "season" as you put it.
I am pondering who you say is > 3 years maybe you can enlighten us with who and how many games in each season that makes you conclude they are more seasoned than I think they are?
You are correct again.. Next season’s will be Lomax’s 3rd one in 1st grade, whilst Pearson started in 2017 IIRC...

So whilst they haven’t played full seasons, they’ve experienced first grade, been around the players and training systems to know what’s expected..

Led by a state of origin halves pairing is a huge stretch even for you. Ben Hunt the ditched Qld half and Corey Norman who was a complete bolter and most likely will never pull a Qld jumper on again.
Both halves players are incumbents in the QLD team, who came within a minute of winning the series.
You obviously didn't see how much support our forwards offered last year and you also rate them much more highly than I do.
Graham is a lemon and Vaughan & Sims both regressed compared to the year before and in light of all available evidence I don't see them improving in the current system.
Interesting.. So the backs are okay, it’s the forwards that are the problem?

Old Timer

Coach
Keep the cosy on your teapot, no need to get feisty..

This is correct.. Would you prefer Lafai and Aiken in there?

You are correct again.. Next season’s will be Lomax’s 3rd one in 1st grade, whilst Pearson started in 2017 IIRC...

So whilst they haven’t played full seasons, they’ve experienced first grade, been around the players and training systems to know what’s expected..

Both halves players are incumbents in the QLD team, who came within a minute of winning the series.

Interesting.. So the backs are okay, it’s the forwards that are the problem?
muzby
No doubt a few days before Christmas I will include you in my annual heartfelt message wishing you and yours all the very best for the festive season and that will be done with all sincerity.
Today however you are being your usual merkin self by misconstruing, distorting and trolling and no doubt will have some glib comment as a response when I tell you to get f**ked.
Our team is f**ked in respect of its roster, its coaching staff, its Illawarra links, its St George apathy, its fans that overrate the team, the lack of acceptance of the truth and thick heads like you that just want to irritate people by badgering them due to a complete inability to comprehend or accept what people clearly enunciate in posts.
If you are looking for a fight the let's have one but let's do it without all the bullshit you go on with and constrict it to the swamp.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby
No doubt a few days before Christmas I will include you in my annual heartfelt message wishing you and yours all the very best for the festive season and that will be done with all sincerity.
Today however you are being your usual merkin self by misconstruing, distorting and trolling and no doubt will have some glib comment as a response when I tell you to get f**ked.
Our team is f**ked in respect of its roster, its coaching staff, its Illawarra links, its St George apathy, its fans that overrate the team, the lack of acceptance of the truth and thick heads like you that just want to irritate people by badgering them due to a complete inability to comprehend or accept what people clearly enunciate in posts.
If you are looking for a fight the let's have one but let's do it without all the bullshit you go on with and constrict it to the swamp.
Well someone is in a mood today..

I’m happy to reiterate my position.. Given our lack of player signings, I believe that blooding our youngsters in the backline would offer more flair in attack and leave us no worse off than this year..

I’m discussing football.. What are you up to?

Old Timer

Coach
Well someone is in a mood today..

I’m happy to reiterate my position.. Given our lack of player signings, I believe that blooding our youngsters in the backline would offer more flair in attack and leave us no worse off than this year..

I’m discussing football.. What are you up to?
Yes indeed you are in a mood.
I won't reiterate my position as you will neither understand it nor accept that it is my position and you will pose yet another question based on false assumptions.
As to what I am up to, well I was trying to get someone to understand something but I have decided that banging my head up against a brick wall comes second to picking up the dog droppings in the back yard.