What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

getsmarty

Immortal
Agree GS. The point here is that almost to a man, he was the next big thing, even defensively "strong" as some put it. With all that positivity, no wonder he was extended "long term". Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing, however, blaming that extension on Millward at that time would be considered incomprehensible if he didnt.

Correct...and any long term deal would have been mcgregors suggestion....

Gareth67

First Grade
I found this thread fascinating in retrospect to what is being said today.
You will find even our mighty Possm had called for Aitken to he signed "long term"

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/euan-aitken.446777/

So when Possm says, why did we sign Aitken long term, well because he asked for it!!!!!

Oh possum - how could you ! You build a player up only to take away his dignity with your constant snipes and have the poor blighter come crashing down to earth with an almighty thud . Little wonder the man plays as if he has two left hands .

possm

Coach
Millward has already locked up most of our promising juniors....Maybe a little bit of due diligence and fact checking wouldn't go astray .
SGI has been in a never ending position of hoping that juniors will come through and step up to fill the void. There is a long list of players that have simply signed with other clubs for various reasons and so we just buy reserve grade players to fill the numbers. I'm tied of living in hope for a future season that MIGHT field a competitive 17.

getsmarty

Immortal
SGI has been in a never ending position of hoping that juniors will come through and step up to fill the void. There is a long list of players that have simply signed with other clubs for various reasons and so we just buy reserve grade players to fill the numbers. I'm tied of living in hope for a future season that MIGHT field a competitive 17.

And with a decent coach they have a greater chance of reaching their full potential. Hopefully we both can look forward to seeing this in the not too distant future. Happy Australia day, possm

possm

Coach
And with a decent coach they have a greater chance of reaching their full potential. Hopefully we both can look forward to seeing this in the not too distant future. Happy Australia day, possm
And you to Getsmarty! I'm about to fire up the BBQ. Australia day is always a family day at Possm's place. Today 4 adult kids with their wives/husbands, my wife and youngest son and my 5 grand children.

getsmarty

Immortal
And you to Getsmarty! I'm about to fire up the BBQ. Australia day is always a family day at Possm's place. Today 4 adult kids with their wives/husbands, my wife and youngest son and my 5 grand children.

Have a Great day possm....sounds like you will. :)

blacksafake

First Grade
I found this thread fascinating in retrospect to what is being said today.
You will find even our mighty Possm had called for Aitken to he signed "long term"

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/euan-aitken.446777/

So when Possm says, why did we sign Aitken long term, well because he asked for it!!!!!
Thanks for the memory slayer & I dare say some members, self included would be disappointed in his progress so far. Coaching or lack of it has played a part in this.

Gareth67

First Grade
Thanks for the memory slayer & I dare say some members, self included would be disappointed in his progress so far. Coaching or lack of it has played a part in this.

Unfortunately as you have said blacksafake the coaching of the man has been abysmal. I have no doubt that under a more competent mentor Aitken would had been a far more accomplished player , whom at the very least would had held his own against other centers in the NRL .

The maestro has a lot to answer for , it’s one thing not being able to formulate successful attack and defensive options for your team , but it’s another thing to stunt the skill- set and actual growth of a player .

blacksafake

First Grade
Unfortunately as you have said blacksafake the coaching of the man has been abysmal. I have no doubt that under a more competent mentor Aitken would had been a far more accomplished player , whom at the very least would had held his own against other centers in the NRL .

The maestro has a lot to answer for , it’s one thing not being able to formulate successful attack and defensive options for your team , but it’s another thing to stunt the skill- set and actual growth of a player .
You’re right Gareth.
It’s strange how most of the early days comments were reasonably happy with his defence, which has gone backwards under the coaching of Price & L plate.

BLM01

First Grade
You’re right Gareth.
It’s strange how most of the early days comments were reasonably happy with his defence, which has gone backwards under the coaching of Price & L plate.
To be fair with this one blacksafake..Aitken did not play under Pricey but the below par coaching and club management styles were well ingrained in our organisation by the time he was booted out

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Bang on.

possm

Coach

I'd say Mary's coaching is part of the problem but the problem goes a lot deeper than that. Aitken lacks the basic skills required of a first grade centre and this problem should have been identified and rectified by pathways coaching staff. In short Aitken should never have been selected in first grade given is lack of ability in reading the opposition's attack, his inability to mark up on his opponent, his very poor passing skills and his preference to just hog the ball and run hard.

If the above skill shortages could not be addressed at the pathways level, Aitken should have been trialed in the backrow in the lower grades or simply let go. Players like Cook, Hastings, Garrick and Herbert were let go when it seems they each had a better skill set than Aitken.

fedzy

Juniors
I'd say Mary's coaching is part of the problem but the problem goes a lot deeper than that. Aitken lacks the basic skills required of a first grade centre and this problem should have been identified and rectified by pathways coaching staff. In short Aitken should never have been selected in first grade given is lack of ability in reading the opposition's attack, his inability to mark up on his opponent, his very poor passing skills and his preference to just hog the ball and run hard.

If the above skill shortages could not be addressed at the pathways level, Aitken should have been trialed in the backrow in the lower grades or simply let go. Players like Cook, Hastings, Garrick and Herbert were let go when it seems they each had a better skill set than Aitken.

It all comes down to the power game, Mcidiot obviously sees the hard running as the first skill set needed, anything else is a weakness. Hence all the talent that has left and the fools that are left.

True_Believer

Juniors

You're clueless.

They only seem to have a better skillset because they've gone to a different coach who can identify their strengths and utilise them better.

Additionally, if you can see his deficiencies, then surely Mary can as well. So why isn't he doing something to rectify the issues? And there is nobody forcing him to select Euan in the centres week in week out. It would take nothing to drop him and trial someone else. But no, Mary picks him every week without fail. It's all on Mary at this point.

I'd love to see Euan leave the club and see how he fares elsewhere under different coaching. It would be better for him and his development.

I'd also question whether 3/4 of those on your list actually have better skill sets.

Gareth67

First Grade

I appreciate what you are saying possum , however once in the top grade a player is expected to improve under the guidance of the clubs best coach , that being the individual that the club’s management had decided is best qualified to the take team as far as possible in the 1st grade competition , with of course the ultimate goal being the premiership trophy.

You only need to look at what players can achieve under the guidance of Bennett and Bellamy . Most young players ( using Aitkens young age when he first made the top grade as an example ) are a ‘ work in progress ‘ but their full potential is realized under the guidance of the 1st grade coach . If the coach is worth his money he will quickly correct any deficiencies that a player may have . By so doing both that player and the team itself shall benefit in the long term .

Unfortunately Mary is no Bennett nor Bellamy and without placing all the blame upon his shoulders , as a lot of it must be directed squarely at the self serving individuals who have continually placed him in such a demanding role , quite simply they have put Mary in a position where he is way out of his depth with the end result being both underperforming players and team .

Regardless of just how much polish the minor grade coaches have given their young charges , the sheen will quickly fade under the maestro .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I appreciate what you are saying possum , however once in the top grade a player is expected to improve under the guidance of the clubs best coach , that being the individual that the club’s management had decided is best qualified to the take team as far as possible in the competition , with of course the ultimate goal being the premiership trophy.

You only need to look at what players can achieve under the guidance of Bennett and Bellamy . Most young players ( using Aitkens young age when he first made the top grade as an example ) are a ‘ work in progress ‘ but their full potential is realized under the guidance of the 1st grade coach . If the coach is worth his money he will quickly correct any deficiencies that a player may have . By so doing both that player and the team itself shall benefit in the long term .

Unfortunately Mary is no Bennett nor Bellamy and without placing all the blame upon his shoulders , a lot of it must be directed squarely at the self serving individuals who have continually placed him in such a demanding role , quite simply they have put Mary in a position where he is way out of his depth with the end result being both underperforming players and team .

Regardless of just how much polish the minor grade coaches have given their young charges , the sheen will quickly fade under the maestro .

Wow! Stand up and applaude this post, absolutely spot on.
Well said Gareth, your piggies would be proud of you!!!!

possm

Coach
I appreciate what you are saying possum , however once in the top grade a player is expected to improve under the guidance of the clubs best coach , that being the individual that the club’s management had decided is best qualified to the take team as far as possible in the competition , with of course the ultimate goal being the premiership trophy.

Unfortunately Mary is no Bennett nor Bellamy and without placing all the blame upon his shoulders , a lot of it must be directed squarely at the self serving individuals who have continually placed him in such a demanding role , quite simply they have put Mary in a position where he is way out of his depth with the end result being both underperforming players and team .

The debate about Mary's unsuitability for the position of head coach has been settled long ago. Most fans and members of this forum want him sacked.

However, he is not the only entity at SGI that is a problem. The Board members and recruitment staff have also played their part in dragging SGI to the depths of despair. Simply speaking, poor management and the wrong people in key jobs is our problem.

Gareth67

First Grade
The debate about Mary's unsuitability for the position of head coach has been settled long ago. Most fans and members of this forum want him sacked.

However, he is not the only entity at SGI that is a problem. The Board members and recruitment staff have also played their part in dragging SGI to the depths of despair. Simply speaking, poor management and the wrong people in key jobs is our problem.

Mate , I am pretty sure that is what I said in my previous post .

Last edited: