What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simon Dwyer latest casualty of board maleficence

Fordy20

Juniors
SMH said:
Wests Tigers back-rower Simon Dwyer is the NRL's forgotten man

Sunday is all about the celebration of Alex McKinnon, and his amazing fight and attitude, but think for a moment of another young footballer whose career was taken away.

‘‘I don’t want to take anything away from Alex ... I really feel for him,’’ Simon Dwyer said.

You may not instantly remember the name. So many have forgotten about him, most notably the players’ association. He is one of the reasons why changes need to be made so professional athletes are covered by workers compensation laws. Dwyer was the young Wests Tigers back-rower who flattened Jared Waerea-Hargreaves in one of the great tackles of the past decade. He played City-Country and then his career came to a shuddering halt when he went in for a tackle on Bulldogs prop Michael Hodgson.

‘‘I just remember voices in my head saying, ‘I can’t move my f---ing legs’, and I couldn’t move them at all at first ... but then I got helped up and started to get movement, but I never got it in my arm,’’ he said.

As we sat in a cafe, Dwyer looked a long way from the powerful forward with the world at his feet. His right arm sat there in a sling – it hasn’t moved after that tackle.

‘‘It can be tough sometimes ... you know, just day-to-day things,’’ he said. ‘‘I had lunch with some of the boys yesterday and I ordered a steak ... I had to get Todd Payten to cut it up for me ... that’s not really what a 25-year-old bloke wants to deal with ... but I don’t want to whinge ... it was just a freak thing. I tore the nerves off my spinal cord. They said it was the type of injury you might find with one of those high-speed skiers in the Olympics.’’

As we talked, the man on his right championing his cause was Brad Fittler. The former Roosters great has taken Dwyer on almost like a younger brother. Fittler was listening to Dwyer talk about his arm and he stopped the conversation in its tracks. ‘‘Mate, have you ever thought about chopping it off?’’ Fittler said.

Dwyer didn’t blink: ‘‘No, I’m not going to chop my arm off, mainly because I live in the hope that one day down the track they may come up with some kind of science that can help me out. I live in hope when it comes to that.’’

He also has seen a reason not to. ‘‘My dad Paul had gangrene in his leg and he faced that kind of decision and decided to fight on and now he is making real progress ... so you never know. I just need to stay positive to the best of my ability.’’

He is doing that. ‘‘I’m not speaking so people feel sorry for me. I’m over feeling sorry for myself. I’m not speaking out because of the attention that Alex is getting. I think that it’s great and Alex is in a far more challenging situation than I am in.

‘‘What I want is for all players who have had injuries that affect them for the rest of their lives to be looked after. When the Alex thing happened ... I thought that I’d like to speak to him.’’

As well as the game has responded to the McKinnon situation, it dropped the ball when it came to Dwyer. His plight was brought to the attention of the players’ association through the media, and the driving force was Fittler.

‘‘It was pretty awful that he was ignored for three years,’’ Fittler said. ‘‘It was pretty bad that the last collective bargaining agreement was negotiated without anyone taking into account the insurance for players. It doesn’t make sense that the bloke selling the hot dogs outside of the ground has better insurance than the players who are playing the game. It’s mind-boggling. What is even harder to cop is that Simon continues to be ignored by the players’ association ... they know about his situation and they hardly make an effort to help him out. He’s been given lip service at best. I find it hard to believe the level of neglect. It simply is not good enough. If it wasn’t for blokes like Alex McKinnon and Simon Dwyer ... I’d lose faith, but to see their attitude in adversity is what makes this game.’’

Fittler – who has been working hard on a fundraising night for Dwyer at Wests Leagues Club on August 1 – doesn’t want credit. Instead, he said that should go to leading player agent Wayne Beavis.

‘‘When I look at what is good about the game, it’s the actions of Wayne,’’ he said. ‘‘He is not Simon’s manager, but he has been working hard for no financial gain to make sure that the night happens and that we raise money for Simon.’’

The aim is to raise $100,000. When you consider that the injury has cost him a career which could have netted him some $4 million, it is a huge financial hit for a kid who grew up in modest surrounds in Macquarie Fields. Dwyer may need the money. He has been earning a modest salary, believed to be $60,000, working at the Tigers. It was a job that was negotiated when his new three-year deal was made redundant because of his injury. Instead of being left with 25 per cent of his contract, which was the standard settlement, the Tigers gave him a gig for the length of the contract.

‘‘That deal is up in a few months and I don’t know what I’m going to do just yet,’’ Dwyer said. ‘‘The club said it may depend on who is coaching the team. I suppose I have to start to look around. I’m not sure who would employ me, so I may need to try and start my own business. It’s a bit uncertain.’’

So now we have another casualty of the turmoil being fermenting over the dying board's failure to re-sign Potter. It's coming up to six months now since the existing board agreed to the new governance model and board structures. I just can't understand why this is still dragging on.

It's hurting the side's performance, it's hurting the players, fans and employees of the club alike. Some people may disagree about whether Potter should be head coach, but you'd be hard pressed to justify the head games that the administration are playing with Simon Dwyer. It's just smacks of the same old reprehensible way that Taniela Tuiaki was just discarded after 2010.

The NRL needs to step in here to protect not only their $4 Million direct investment in the club, but also to protect the reputation of the Wests Tigers brand, one that is being rapidly eroded by the mean spirited pettiness and maliciousness the organisation is continuing to indulge in. That means finalising the board structure now and ditching the serial leakers and faceless insiders who are continually undermining any possibility of this club being successful on a regular basis.

SMH said:
Testy Tigers
Wests Tigers players are fed up being painted as the instigators in the demise of coaches at the club. There is a growing feeling they are being used as scapegoats for management decisions.

There is no doubt some players had misgivings about the appointment of Mick Potter, however the feeling among the group is they are being used to divert attention from management.

As for Potter being responsible for retaining several star players, this column has been told Potter is minimally involved in negotiating to keep stars at the club.

Probably told by the same people who have been agitating for his demise. There are some real cancerous people involved in the organisation and the quicker they are discarded the better off everyone will be.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
They have been paying him $60k per year. In my opinion that is good money.

As for Potter - if they just resigned him some of this crap would go away.

I don't agree though at all with your statement that the NRL need to step in. These are trivial issues at this point.

Matchball

Bench
I insure myself for income protection in case of illness and it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things considering players are on six figure salaries.

A couple a grand a year could have taken care of this but who do you blame? I'd say the players managers.

Tiger05

First Grade
A couple a grand a year could have taken care of this but who do you blame? I'd say the players managers.

Its a tough one isn't it. I remember earning 40k a year and everything being fine taking care of a young family. 60k at that point was a lot of income and the club has given Dwyer that.

Fordy20

Juniors
I insure myself for income protection in case of illness and it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things considering players are on six figure salaries.

Now that you point that out, the default options for insurance under superannuation usually cover death, permanent disability and income protection as well.

Tiger05

First Grade
Now that you point that out, the default options for insurance under superannuation usually cover death, permanent disability and income protection as well.

I've never seen though income protection for life and especially as per something like what happened to Dwyer.

I understand that he has copped it but at the same time he can work in a different field. Its not like he cannot turn up in a business attire and do the job. The rest of us have to suffer under the same conditions.

It is hard to believe that in this day and age that a product like the NRL doesn't have suitable insurance for it's players.
Players,managers and officials should never of neglected or overlooked this issue, every player should be entitled to feel secure that when they take the field that if some unfortunate injury does occur they are than covered financially for the period of the policy.
Players must also realise that a income protection policy may only cover them for a period of time and not their entire working life span.Players need to plan for life after football as a means to earn a income and in case of a football career ending injury.

Two things should have happened virtually instantaneously after Alex McKinnon's unfortunate injury IMO:

- The NRL should have said have said there and then that going forward, all new contracts registered with the NRL going forward would be subject to valid medical and income protection insurances, paid for by the player to protect them in the event of career ending injury;
- The NRL should have a pool fund or some such arrangement to cover all players under current contracts until such time they renegotiate their current contract, serve it out or are released to sign a new contract whereupon they then would be no longer covered by the NRL insurances and would have to then source their own insurances as the previous point.

If the players have a spew about paying for it, then have a portion of the club grant to cover the players insurances which the club can then compensate players for the insurances, which would have to be justified by the way of producing player policies to the NRL.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Its an absolute joke that players are not insured. 100% support the Rise for Alex campaign, but he shouldn't need a fundraiser to help him pay for medical costs, the NRL should have set in place compulsory medical insurance policies for all players.

Any other job Alex and Simon would have been totally covered for all medical expenses. NRL claim they want to develop and evolve the game...how about starting with basic medical insurance ffs

I don't reckon income and medical insurance should be the NRL's responsibility, but they have been lax in drawing a line in the sand as to how it should play out.

Matchball

Bench
Even Supermodels insure their assets, body parts etc. as do singers who insure against losing their voice.
Reading that NFL quarterbacks insuring their arm is part of the player contracts to protect teams being sued.
Someone being paid over 100k a year should have this planned out as a necessity.

Simple mismanagement of players managers. They too should be trying to protect the hands that feed them.

macnaz

Staff member
I've never seen though income protection for life and especially as per something like what happened to Dwyer.

I understand that he has copped it but at the same time he can work in a different field. Its not like he cannot turn up in a business attire and do the job. The rest of us have to suffer under the same conditions.

Good point . IF I had the same injury at work I would maybe get a minimum payout and every opportunity for training and education for re employment. Not sure id be getting a million bucks tho.

Pezz70

Juniors
I'm tipping that private insurance companies would charge the NRL and/or players a fortune for this type of insurance., most companies wouldn't accept the risk given the relatively small market. It's good to see them talking about it hopEfully they can secure a deal , or set up an in house scheme

super_coach

First Grade
I have said before,5% of all contracts for all footballers from the back of Bourke to the NRL should be put in a slush fund and these monies could help players who get seriously hurt. It would not take long to get a big pot of cash

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I have said before,5% of all contracts for all footballers from the back of Bourke to the NRL should be put in a slush fund and these monies could help players who get seriously hurt. It would not take long to get a big pot of cash

In theory this is a good idea super coach however where I work we had a fund similar to this and as is always the case people started to rort it. It would really come down to who distributed the money because it you have lawyers involved they would argue their client is more disabled and therefore be entitled to more money than someone else. These lawyers are pretty greedy I can assure you.

Perhaps if it was just a blanket amount for permanent injury or a pro rata amount for something like Dwyer sustained it could work...but people being people they'll look for ways to rort it.

macnaz

Staff member
In theory this is a good idea super coach however where I work we had a fund similar to this and as is always the case people started to rort it. It would really come down to who distributed the money because it you have lawyers involved they would argue their client is more disabled and therefore be entitled to more money than someone else. These lawyers are pretty greedy I can assure you.

Perhaps if it was just a blanket amount for permanent injury or a pro rata amount for something like Dwyer sustained it could work...but people being people they'll look for ways to rort it.

Exactly what would happen.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Watched the 9 news tonight and they had a snippet of Simon on the sport. They showed him being helped off and I can't help but wonder what, if any, extra damage they did to him walking and not driving him off the ground...

N.C.

Juniors
Every time Simon Dwyer is mentioned, someone comes along and wonders that. Without fail. I bet Simon's lawyers wondered that as well. If there was a problem, we'd probably have heard about it by now. Time to move on and let the club support the guy as best they can.

Latest posts