What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sims to play

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Would they rush him straight into the side, or give him a couple of weeks to learn the structures and attacking plays?

saintjeff

Juniors
He must be better than who we have at the cutters
Why not we need all the help we can get
Paulo played for eels after he left
Dugan wont play

Old Timer

Coach
If Simms is to first grade play straight up IMO we are nothing but $20 hookers.

I am on recored as suggesting Sims will be a dud signing and happy to be proven wrong but the onus of proof is on Sims himself.

He went to Newcastle for various reasons and became part of the leadership and senior players group.

He has not performed nor has he honoured his commitment to Newcastle and bailed early, however are they hanging offences well ?????????

The issue for me is, despite what he has not achieved some consider he should get a first up start.

Whether you like Marketo & Rein or not they have actually earned their stripes and have given their all.

Whether they are great footballers is another question but they certainly have done enough in comparison to others around them within the club to pull the Big Red V on and play in it. This is something they themselves have earned and been rewarded for.

Host is another in this category and what more does he have to do to get a start in first grade?

If Sims comes and plays in the Cutters and performs and EARNS THE RIGHT to pull on the Big Red V then fine by me but at the moment he hasn't done that and if we gift him a jumper then we have dropped our pants, bent over the desk and cheapened the value of our first grade jumper.

Whilst is it only my opinion I think the playing roster we have, the juniors we let go, the position we occupy on the table and the bleak future ahead indicate we don't know how to value our jersey or our juniors anymore.

BennyV

Referee
If Simms is to first grade play straight up IMO we are nothing but $20 hookers.

I am on recored as suggesting Sims will be a dud signing and happy to be proven wrong but the onus of proof is on Sims himself.

He went to Newcastle for various reasons and became part of the leadership and senior players group.

He has not performed nor has he honoured his commitment to Newcastle and bailed early, however are they hanging offences well ?????????

The issue for me is, despite what he has not achieved some consider he should get a first up start.

Whether you like Marketo & Rein or not they have actually earned their stripes and have given their all.

Whether they are great footballers is another question but they certainly have done enough in comparison to others around them within the club to pull the Big Red V on and play in it. This is something they themselves have earned and been rewarded for.

Host is another in this category and what more does he have to do to get a start in first grade?

If Sims comes and plays in the Cutters and performs and EARNS THE RIGHT to pull on the Big Red V then fine by me but at the moment he hasn't done that and if we gift him a jumper then we have dropped our pants, bent over the desk and cheapened the value of our first grade jumper.

Whilst is it only my opinion I think the playing roster we have, the juniors we let go, the position we occupy on the table and the bleak future ahead indicate we don't know how to value our jersey or our juniors anymore.

Sims will not be the saviour. He will likely be no more than solid as long as Mary is coach. If he gets out there, lifts the intensity and dents the line then I'll be happy with that, all things considered. On his day, Sims is a devastating player, and off his day he is a solid first grader. It's up to Mary to make sure the systems are there to create on days (hence why I imagine he'll be solid only).

But to suggest that Marketo is a better candidate than Sims is laughable. The guy was 18th man for NSW last year, while Marketo would not pull on a first grade jersey at any other club (and he tried!).

This attitude of 'effort trumps all' is the reason that the club sit at the edge of the 8 and is happy with it. Games aren't won in beep tests.

Turk

Juniors
Marketo doesnt need to be dropped this week to make way for Sims because Frizell is out so someone from the bench needs to take his place i think either Mathews or Jack De Belin should start for Frizzel. Sims should play off the bench and prove himself to his new teamates and coach. The Dogs game showed that we are lacking acouple of big forwards im excited to see Sims play and with Mose coming in soon aswell should be interesting.

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor: Sims Is A Welcome Addition

Thu 16th June, 02:00PM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Head Coach Paul McGregor discusses the recent signing of second-rower Tariq Sims.
The local Gerringong Lions junior, who can play up front and in the second-row, has joined from the Newcastle Knights effective immediately.

Sims, 26, had previously agreed to a three-year contract which would have seen him join the Club next season prior to being granted a release from the Knights.
The former Junior Kangaroo has played 98 NRL games in addition to representing both the Fiji Bati and NSW Country Origin team (2012-16) on five occasions each.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/06/16/mcgregor_sims_is_a_w.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims set to debut against Melbourne after Knights release

MITCH JENNINGS
June 16, 2016, 11:55 a.m.
https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...awarramercury.com.au/story/3972311/back-home/http://twitter.com/share?url=http:/...1/back-home/&text=BACK HOME&via=illawarramerc

FORMER Newcastle captain Tariq Sims looks set to debut for the Dragons against Melbourne on Saturday after being granted an early release by Knights on Thursday.
The Gerringong product signed a three-year deal with the Dragons that was set to commence next season before the Knights elected to off-load their co-captain in a move that will free up salary cap space for next season.
Sims will only have Friday’s captain’s run to acquaint himself with the Dragons structures but the odds of the 26-year-old Fijian International playing against the Storm on Saturday shortened dramatically following Tyson Frizell’s call-up on Wednesday night.
Sims underwent a medical on Thursday and Paul McGregor said he will be considered for selection.
“I haven’t given it too much thought because it only happened today [Thursday] but we’ll certainly have a look at him,” McGregor said.
“We’ll bring him in and look at the ways he can learn our systems and if we wake up in the morning and think it’s the right thing to do for the footy team we’ll certainly put him in.

“If it’s going to make us a better team this weekend that’s what we’ll do.”
With the club’s forwards depth already stretched McGregor dismissed talk of a potential player swap prior to June 30.
“No there’s no player swap, everyone at our club is still here,” McGregor said.

“We originally signed Tariq for three after this year but to get him halfway through this year is really important for us to finish the year off strong.

“It wasn’t originally [the plan] but there was a bit of noise around other clubs and certainly when it became available we looked at every process we could.

“We lost Mose Masoe [in preseason] as well as letting Sebastine Ikahifoe go to the Super League and Ben Creagh hasn’t played since round three so in our forward stock we’ve been missing players throughout the year.

“It’s really important for us to bring a guy like Tariq in because if we had a few more injuries we didn’t have the depth to cover it.”

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...awarramercury.com.au/story/3972311/back-home/http://twitter.com/share?url=http:/...1/back-home/&text=BACK HOME&via=illawarramerc

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3972311/back-home/?cs=2382

Tariq Sims is ready to play without seeing the play book which consists of one out for 4 tackles, one passing raid in either direction unless Rein decides to go for a scoot with Benji or Widdop to fluff the kick down field.

Just get a texta and mark the hit up number on is wist and hope he can count to 4.

He is an impact player off the bench who can add some mongrel to the pack.

Hoping he manages to avoid suspension in game 1 of his saints career.

Old Timer

Coach
Sims will not be the saviour. He will likely be no more than solid as long as Mary is coach. If he gets out there, lifts the intensity and dents the line then I'll be happy with that, all things considered. On his day, Sims is a devastating player, and off his day he is a solid first grader. It's up to Mary to make sure the systems are there to create on days (hence why I imagine he'll be solid only).

But to suggest that Marketo is a better candidate than Sims is laughable. The guy was 18th man for NSW last year, while Marketo would not pull on a first grade jersey at any other club (and he tried!).

This attitude of 'effort trumps all' is the reason that the club sit at the edge of the 8 and is happy with it. Games aren't won in beep tests.

I am merely pointing out Sims effort is not comparable to Marketo's.

Does Sims potentially have more to offer, no doubt yes, but there is absolutely nothing apparent other than hope and that should not earn you a 1st grade jumper day 1.

If Sims was performing as he was 3 years ago not a peep out of me if he was selected.

I said the same of Lafai, and we butted heads on that, for mine Lafai is a plodder and has not fulfilled any of the so called potential from 2 years ago and has not done anything to warrant his selection at the beginning of the year.

I believe Sims will be the same, thus I say its far too easy for fringe players from other clubs to get a St George 1st grade jumper.