What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sin Bin

super_coach

First Grade
You know what gives me the sh.ts........The length of time it takes for a player after being binned to leave the field. Last night the game stopped for about 3 minutes while Merrin argued with the ref and than took the longest route to the dressing room at snails pace. Its not only Merrin, it happens with most sin bins. Of course they are coached to do so they get a good break, regain their composure and get their line set.

I think they should have 30 seconds to leave the field from when the ref makes the call and they have to go to nearest side line or dead ball line or incur another 5 minutes in the bin.

The NRL keep forgetting they are in the entertainment industry and at present the product is on the slide

franklin2323

Immortal
What gives me the shts is the random way it is being applied. Why not make it black and white? 3 penalties on the trot inside the 20m and 4th is in the bin.

last night was perfect example. Why should high tackles count? Should be those penalties on purpose. If the tackle on Taylor was on purpose then that player should be sent off. Refs need better understanding of the game flow

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because penalty after penalty is killing the spectacle. Be it deliberate or accidental by the time you are hitting 4 on the trot enough is enough.

Out of interest is this season the most penalty kicks taken of any year in recent times? If feels like it, we used to mock ruggers for the amount of penalty goals and pride ourselves on our tries.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The officials need to stop telegraphing the fact they are going to sin bin a player as well. If a professional foul occurs and it’s deemed a sin bin offence, then just do it. None of this next time or last warning rubbish.

the notion of a "professional" foul is a bit of a myth in most cases. Pretty much every penalty inside the 20m these days could be deemed a deliberate professional foul, its no coincidence that 75% of penalties are inside the 20!

Saint Doc

Coach
Someone said this yesterday and I can’t recall who, so sorry for plageurising whoever it was. But they said add whatever time it takes them to get off the field to their bin time. Take 30seconds? 10mins 30 seconds in the bin for you. Players would soon start sprinting off

Front-Rower

First Grade
the notion of a "professional" foul is a bit of a myth in most cases. Pretty much every penalty inside the 20m these days could be deemed a deliberate professional foul, its no coincidence that 75% of penalties are inside the 20!

That’s because the bark is worse than the bite. If the officials made a call to send players to the bin instead of pleading with the captain to do something about it then the tactics would certainly change very quickly.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Someone said this yesterday and I can’t recall who, so sorry for plageurising whoever it was. But they said add whatever time it takes them to get off the field to their bin time. Take 30seconds? 10mins 30 seconds in the bin for you. Players would soon start sprinting off
Can anybody put any light on when the sin bin time actually starts?

When it is given?

When the player is off the field of play?

When he disappears down the tunnel?

super_coach

First Grade
That’s because the bark is worse than the bite. If the officials made a call to send players to the bin instead of pleading with the captain to do something about it then the tactics would certainly change very quickly.

I don't know why captains can even challenge a call, the ref has never changed a call because a captains has had a chat with him. Once again its just a time wasting exercise

MilkShark

First Grade
Or, if they keep giving away penalties on purpose, add the tackles not completed in the penalty set onto the end of the next set. That will stop all the BS penalties on tackle 1 and 2 straight away.

And, allow the quick tap.

gallagher

Juniors
Any penalty within the ten is a shot at goal. Whether the kick goes over or misses the attacking side gets to then take the tap.

Saint Doc

Coach
Can anybody put any light on when the sin bin time actually starts?

When it is given?

When the player is off the field of play?

When he disappears down the tunnel?

It's as soon as he steps over the white line.

This sounds wrong. I think it would be 10mins of game time once the play restarts. Sure, the player must be off the field for the game to restart. But if anything was delaying the restart, the sin bin clock wouldn’t start until play resumed