What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SINGAPORE RUGBY LEAGUE

singaporeXIII

Juniors
Hey guys, This year I spent a few months playing Rugby Union over in Singapore. Being a true League man I asked the boys whether they had heard of Rugby League and they all said they had seen it on TV and enjoyed it. I wore a pair of Warriors shorts to training and all the guys were quoting names like Wairangi Koopu and Stacey Jones. I was quite shocked to be honest. I asked them if Rugby League was to come to Singapore would you guys be interested in playing. They all said they would love to play. Watching the Greek and Italians Leagues gain momentum it gave me an idea to try and bring this great sport to Singapore. I still keep in contact with 3 national players from the Rugby Union team who want to play League. I just want to construct a database of Singapore players. Singapore has heaps of ex-pats living there from England,NZ and Australia so getting League started there shouldn't be too hard. I just want to find out if there are any players that play in Australia/NZ/England who were born in Singapore or have a parent/grandparent born in Singapore. Thankyou. If you qualify please email me on singaporerugbyleague@hotmail.com and let me know what team you play for, your position etc... This will help in trying to get a team together. Having Singapore in the Rugby League playing nations would be great as teams touring to the UK or vice versa could all stop in Singapore on the way and play a game and then keep going. Would break up the journey abit. Anyway if you qualify could you please email me. Thanks again. singaporerugbyleague@hotmail.com

bazza

Immortal
I don't know if it will help much - but there are a fair few students from Singapore studying in Australian universities - maybe some of them may have taken a shining to league while they were over here.

In-goal

Bench
Look can't realy help you much but i have have been to Singapore, and i would think that if you could get this off the ground there is no shortage of corprate support there.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
bazza said:
I don't know if it will help much - but there are a fair few students from Singapore studying in Australian universities - maybe some of them may have taken a shining to league while they were over here.

Thanks bazza for your suggestion. I was thinking if I could get a national team together and play a game similar to the Greece/Italy game, I would promote it by going to the Universities which have alot of Singapore students and hand out leaflets etc.. to try and get them to the game to support Singapore. I know UNSW has heaps of Singapore students so I guess if the game was to go ahead it should be played around Randwick or there abouts. Anyway, still early days but thanks for your suggestion.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
In-goal said:
Look can't realy help you much but i have have been to Singapore, and i would think that if you could get this off the ground there is no shortage of corprate support there.

There is huge corporate support there. If we could get a decent team together and play a few matches and get abit of a profile, I'm sure we could get heaps of backing. I know that Adidas, Heiniken and a few pubs sponsor the Rugby Union team. The IRB are pouring heaps of money into the SRU. I watched them trying to teach the kids how to play Rugby Union and alot of them looked confused. I was thinking if we could get them playing touch Rugby League to learn the basic's it would be much easier. Harvey Norman are getting big in Singapore and are a great supporter of League so maybe they could jump on board. Who knows!

The Observer

Staff member
hey singaporexiii,

Well done on your efforts. I am sure that there are a few players of Singaporean background in Australia and NZ, universities like UTS, UNSW, Macquarie maybe are good places to look. You could contact contacting the NSW Student Rugby League or Tertiary Rugby League who might know of eligible players, the individual RL teams at those unis, the Singaporean student societies at the unis here in Aus.

As far as getting advice about how to start up the game in Singapore, you should contact RLIF Development Officer Tas Baitieri, he'll be able to help. Check out the group in my signature as well!

dimitri

First Grade
I Must also say well done on your efforts

this is what we need

more people taking the game to countries

and hopefully we will have nations like singapore, greece etc become just as competitive as lebanon

I also agree that you should advertise at AUSTRALIAN UNIVERSITIES

and also do what the GREEK RUGBY LEAGUE has done and CREATE A WEBSITE

this is very important

and could be used to create a player data base etc

Costaki

Juniors
ur doin a great job mate congrats on it and hope singapore rl become big there.
Might even play a game against greece in sydney down the track.
If you like e-mail me and i will put up a lil add on my site supporting ur cause. costaki_10@hotmail.com

singaporeXIII

Juniors
Costaki said:
ur doin a great job mate congrats on it and hope singapore rl become big there.
Might even play a game against greece in sydney down the track.
If you like e-mail me and i will put up a lil add on my site supporting ur cause. costaki_10@hotmail.com

Thankyou for your kind comments. A game against Greece would be awesome down the track. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I would love to have a competetive team up and running by mid 2004 hopefully. I am currently trying to get backing from the Singapore Sports Council and they might provide funding. Since we will be minnows when we start up it will be good to play teams like Greece, New Caledonia, Holland etc...
Only got a handful of players at the moment so if you know anyone who would qualify and they play Rugby League please get them to email me on singaporerugbyleague@hotmail.com

dimitri

First Grade
i dont know anyone

but make sure you set up a website as soon as possible

also very good idea to put an ad in the rugby league review

dimitri

First Grade
yeah i think they were bringing it out later this month

so they could have a full wrap-up of the ionio cup

singaporeXIII

Juniors
dimitri said:
yeah i think they were bringing it out later this month

so they could have a full wrap-up of the ionio cup

I read on the RLR website that the new issue will come out October the 7th. I will be speaking with RLR in the near future to see how much it will cost to place an ad in it.

ali

Bench
I can't really help much, but I put your post on therugbyforum.com.

Good luck.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
ali said:

Good luck.

Thanks alot for your support Ali. Also a very big thankyou to Costaki for putting an ad in his website for Singapore Rugby League. It's great to have such support. Thanks guys. www.greekrugbyleague.cjb.net go to this site to see the ad.
Also the new edition of RLR came out today and it is fantastic. I will definately get in touch with RLR and try and put an ad in it for next months edition.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
bazza said:
You might want to get a side together for the World 7s qualifiers next year

Next years World qualifiers would probably be too early at this stage. I am looking at 2005 World 7's.

roopy

Referee
singaporeXIII said:
ali said:

Good luck.

Thanks alot for your support Ali. Also a very big thankyou to Costaki for putting an ad in his website for Singapore Rugby League. It's great to have such support. Thanks guys. www.greekrugbyleague.cjb.net go to this site to see the ad.
Also the new edition of RLR came out today and it is fantastic. I will definately get in touch with RLR and try and put an ad in it for next months edition.
I don't know for sure, but I think RLR take the off season off as well. There probably won't be another editon for a three or four months.
I reckon you should try to get them to write a story about your efforts. It is just the sort of thing they write about, and they seem very keen to promote the game.

RLR has this website, and I'm sure they would love to be able to add another flag (click on WORLD to see all the flags).

http://www.rugbyleaguereview.com/

singaporeXIII

Juniors
roopy said:
singaporeXIII said:
ali said:

Good luck.

I don't know for sure, but I think RLR take the off season off as well. There probably won't be another editon for a three or four months.
I reckon you should try to get them to write a story about your efforts. It is just the sort of thing they write about, and they seem very keen to promote the game.

RLR has this website, and I'm sure they would love to be able to add another flag (click on WORLD to see all the flags).

The next edition comes out December 9. It will be a summer edition I believe. Terry L has emailed me and will do some sort of write up which is great.

roopy

Referee
singaporeXIII said:
roopy said:
singaporeXIII said:
ali said:

Good luck.

The next edition comes out December 9. It will be a summer edition I believe. Terry L has emailed me and will do some sort of write up which is great.
Brilliant