What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singlets in the office

Diesel

Referee
I work in an office, I am in a non-customer facing role meaning I don't have to meet people so our office is semi-casual, you can turn up in a t-shirt and shorts, jeans, or business attire it doesn't matter.

So my question is why is it acceptable for woman to wear a singlet to work or open toed shoes and I can't wear a singlet and thongs (not rubber ones but a decent brand like Colorado)?

Don't get me wrong, I, just like the next guy don't mind the girls in the singlets and short skirts but why can they get away with the singlet while I can't, especially while it's summer.

cleary89

Coach
I'm lucky that my boss lets us wear polos, shorts and trainers. Perfect.

Maybe decent thongs are alright, but I've had a few blokes come in to work in thongs and it just looks unprofessional. They say the same thing as you but meh, I know if I was a boss I wouldn't like it.

No one should be in a decent work place in a singlet though.

Diesel

Referee
Thanks for those thoughts. I wouldn't wear a singlet by choice but I was just thinking it was double standards. I've worn the thongs in a few times but that's normally over the Christmas break when no one is around.

Apey

Staff member
Last job I had was casual work for a family friend. He owns two houses right next to each other and one of them is the office where he runs a small-ish data consultancy business. Early mornings he sometimes used to turn up in his pyjamas, so I reckon we could wear just about anything we wanted to. :lol:

Of course, this business practically had 0 face time with any of the clients and if it did it certainly never happened there. Place was an absolute mess.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Generally women's singlets are better quality, they are made to wear in public where as men's singlets are made as underwear.

It may also depend if you are "aesthetically pleasing" in a singlet and whether its suitable for a workplace.

Assuming you could find men's dress singlets and you wore one, if you were asked to cover up you may have a discrimination issue.

Lambretta

First Grade
Thanks for those thoughts. I wouldn't wear a singlet by choice but I was just thinking it was double standards. I've worn the thongs in a few times but that's normally over the Christmas break when no one is around.

A singlet on a girl looks totally different to a singlet on a guy
Women can wear singlets with skirts or trousers and shoes it looks professional

Guys in singlets look like they should be in the pub or the gym - they're just not acceptable

Just because a top doesn't have sleeves it doesn't mean it's the same thing

Packy

Bench
I wore a singlet every day of the Xmas period and work was never better. Can't do it any other time of the year.

Freddie wore a singlet to work most of the time and got away with it.

images

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Maybe it has to do with hairy armpits? I once worked with a girl who had gorilla pits that wore singlets/sleeveless shirts in warmer weather and it was grotesque.