What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sione Injured Playing For Hull

Johns quiet but wins continue
September 17, 2005

Warrington 30 Hull 16
MASTER playmaker Andrew Johns took more of a back seat but that didn't stop Warrington from pulling off a 30-16 victory over Hull, the club's first win at the KC Stadium.

The triumph earned a home tie in next week's engage Super League play-offs.

The Wolves stormed into a 16-0 lead after only 19 minutes and held off a spirited Hull fightback to climb from fifth to third place and boost their hopes of a first Grand Final appearance.

All eyes were on Johns, making his second appearance for the Wolves, but it was former Hull centre Toa Kohe-Love who stole the limelight with two late tries to clinch a memorable victory.

Hull paraded the Challenge Cup after the match but it was a low-key affair after a third defeat in four games almost certainly wrecked their hopes of completing the double.

They also suffered a couple of injury blows with the loss of goalkicking half-back Danny Brough (ankle) and recent signing Sione Faumuina (shoulder).

John Kear's men never recovered from a shocking start in which they conceded three tries in the opening quarter, two of them from second rower Logan Swann.

He scored from the visitors' first attack after only four minutes and Hull had barely recovered from that shock when Johns combined with full-back Brent Grose to get the lanky New Zealander over for his second.

Surprisingly, Johns was off target with his first kick at goal but converted his second attempt from a similar position to make it 10-0.

<DIV id=promoIslandRight>Advertisement:
on error resume next ShockMode = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))if ( ShockMode

lyon is a saint

Juniors
One of the biggest stars ever to come out of New Zealand ? PMSL.

He looks like a very poor player... in his 2 games with Hull he has struggled with the pace of super league,puts a big hit or 2 in but not showing any potential at all.

I'm just relieved that Saints never showed a interest.

fobsta

Juniors
lyon is a saint said:

He looks like a very poor player... in his 2 games with Hull he has struggled with the pace of super league,puts a big hit or 2 in but not showing any potential at all.

Mate, do us a favour. Spread your opinion around all the Hull diehard fans for us. As long as they agree with you, Faumuina will come back to the Warriors to unleash his magic for 2006.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Maybe Sione just doesn't travel well? He wasn't happy at Canberra and people there labelled him a nuffy, but he improved out of sight when he got back to Auckland. I'd say if Hull doesn't work out he'll think twice about leaving again.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
lyon is a saint said:

That's a crock of sh*t, what do you base that on?

I don't know what you were expecting from him in his first game (apart from scoring the match-winning try?) and I watched the Warrington game and his teammates refused to pass him the ball! He only played 40 minutes anyway, and his only touch in the second half was a pretty spectacular overhead pass, which almost set up a freak try.

And most importantly, you are dead right about him being an average centre. Why sign up a player on a big money short term contract and play him woefully out of position? From what I saw Hull desperately needed someone like Sione playing in the backrow at second or third receiver, rather than relying on a plodding geriatric like Stephen Kearney.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
Maybe Sione just doesn't travel well? He wasn't happy at Canberra and people there labelled him a nuffy, but he improved out of sight when he got back to Auckland. I'd say if Hull doesn't work out he'll think twice about leaving again.

Canberra played him at centre too. At centre he IS a nuffy- not fast enough, and not really a devastating ball carrier, despite his size. Playing one or two places inside the centre he is a terrific player because he can then use his full compliment of skills, (good short-passing game, cut out passes, offloads, and running/stepping) with more options and space to move in.

Unfortunately most of the English clubs (and Aussie clubs too, to an extent) still typecast all 100kg+ Polynesians as wide-running titans with limited skills. Sione is primarily a playmaker, but I doubt anyone in the ESL will have the nous to figure that out.

Yeah ! And how can Sione tackle players running side ways ? Your'e right by saying that Sione can't keep up with Superleague pace .

Sione is a league player , not a touch player !

Latest posts