What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
feeling pretty vindicated on this hot take, actually.
You were right- but I’d blame that on the coaching staff, not SJ. They’re the ones who make the selection decisions and should’ve decided to give TMM a go running the show earlier and got SJ to rehab the injury til he was properly fit.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I didn’t see TMM stepping up as much as he has though. I thought it would be more a case of needing to suffer short term in order to have a chance down the track
I guess the other thing to consider too is that CHT was out for a while as well until recently. We really had to play musical chairs for a while there to get a fit spine on the paddock.

Blair

Coach
I think Johnson's return will make this currently humming Warriors outfit hum even more.

Why would anyone think otherwise?

ozenzud

Juniors
I was giving this some thought. He was playing busted for weeks. That was obvious. He is experienced and he still has the best kicking game. What about him plying the 5/8 role and keeping TMM running show?

Rich102

Staff member
So what does everyone see as the future for CHT?
No specific role but too talented to be left out.

Meth

Staff member
Fit SJ is the best half in the club at the moment.

But unfit SJ is not better than a fit TMM/CHT, to say nothing of the impact of playing SJ when he’s busted has on SJ. As much as we were a bit pissed off at Keary’s tackle, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

The main takeaway is how ludicrous it was for Webster to play an unfit Johnson AND direct all the traffic down that side. The degree to which he did that doesn’t make sense with a fit SJ. With an unfit one who couldn’t train during the week, it was madness from St Webby.

Reactions: Izz

Meth

Staff member
Yeah it’s Lussick that I’m questioning. All things going to plan, Lussick plays 15-20 mins. Wasted bench spot imo

Leber

Bench
If Shaun is not 100000% fit, I’d rest him again.

tell him to stay on the couch and make Kayla wait on him hand and foot till he’s all good.👍

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Fit SJ is the best half in the club at the moment.

But unfit SJ is not better than a fit TMM/CHT, to say nothing of the impact of playing SJ when he’s busted has on SJ. As much as we were a bit pissed off at Keary’s tackle, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

The main takeaway is how ludicrous it was for Webster to play an unfit Johnson AND direct all the traffic down that side. The degree to which he did that doesn’t make sense with a fit SJ. With an unfit one who couldn’t train during the week, it was madness from St Webby.
Gotta remember Webby is still a novice first grade coach and he was dealing with his first injury crisis. He’d already lost Metcalf at that point to injury, and CHT was sidelined for a few weeks too- probably felt like we had no other option but try to manage SJs injury. I don’t recall many of us disagreeing at the time.
I think the bigger screw-up was not letting TMM take more of the game management workload while SJ couldn’t train. Not many coaches would’ve had the balls to make the CNK at 6 move unless their hand was forced like Webby’s eventually was.

Gotta remember Webby is still a novice first grade coach and he was dealing with his first injury crisis. He’d already lost Metcalf at that point to injury, and CHT was sidelined for a few weeks too- probably felt like we had no other option but try to manage SJs injury. I don’t recall many of us disagreeing at the time.
I think the bigger screw-up was not letting TMM take more of the game management workload while SJ couldn’t train. Not many coaches would’ve had the balls to make the CNK at 6 move unless their hand was forced like Webby’s eventually was.
Yea fair point. I certainly felt that way. TMM had been anonymous until Magic Round, the idea of resting SJ and letting TMM run things seemed pretty far fetched before then.

That said, our judgement was based on what TMM showed during gameday, whereas Webby saw him all week.... if SJ wasn't training, and (presumably) TMM was running at 7 during field sessions, I'd be curious to know what Webby was seeing that didn't give him confidence to slot him in sooner.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah it’s Lussick that I’m questioning. All things going to plan, Lussick plays 15-20 mins. Wasted bench spot imo
I see why we use him when we need cover for Egan, but yeah if CHT can provide that he provides a lot more besides. With CHT on the bench we can probably afford to safely carry 3 forwards and have a side that can be adequately reshuffled to cover an injury in any position.

Big Marn

Bench
Not sure if this a consistency issue but one of the passes from CHT was super slow. Made Lussicks passing look great

TheDMC

Bench
Not sure if this a consistency issue but one of the passes from CHT was super slow. Made Lussicks passing look great
Almost certainly we lose a bit in the passing stakes with CHT over Lussick, but a lot of other upside…

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Almost certainly we lose a bit in the passing stakes with CHT over Lussick, but a lot of other upside…
I guess the issue with that is Lussick’s pass isn’t exactly super snappy either.
if CHT is going to be regularly used there it’s a necessary work-on, otherwise we end up in the same kind of situation as when Jazz used to fill in at DH and it completely blunted our attack.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, I think this is the main thing and the madness that made it a bad strategy.

It's been quite interesting hearing Webster talk about how they now know what TMM is about, and it seems to me that Webster didn't particularly rate him or didn't know what he could be earlier in the year.

TMM has been dynamite down the right, and SJ has been dominant down that side in the last 18 months. It'll be interesting as to how that structure looks, and yeah whether SJ resumes more of a five-eighth role while TMM steers the side around. They're both good game directors and there will need to be a really clear plan as to how this looks

Big Marn

Bench
I think people are forgetting TMM was a great foil to SJ at the beginning of last year when we started 5-1 and then he broke his leg/arm (forget which) and was out untill the playoffs

Latest posts