What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Shaun over Stacey, big call and I don’t think one I could make

We are possibly heading into a conversation, if not already there, that Hughes is the best kiwi half to play in the NRL. Top 5 in no particular order probably looking like Freeman, Johnson, Jones, Foran and Hughes

Blair

Coach
The last two weeks has told me all I knew already about Shaun, too. I've always loved the guy but I'm so sick of the farewell tour. He's milked it way too much. Can't cop that in a team sport. You can't care so much about what people think about you as Shaun did, and he's always read too much of his hype, bristled too much at the criticism, and although I think he got better in terms of work ethic and taking on advise/learning, he could have got better a lot quicker if he was humble in his 20s.
The 'couldn't script it better' last round win over Cronulla should never mask the fact we had a poor season, but it did. For now.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The 'couldn't script it better' last round win over Cronulla should never mask the fact we had a poor season, but it did. For now.
Did it for the masses? Not for me. To be fair, I don't tend to watch 930pm matches and I wasn't ever going to watch that one...so I dunno how it felt

Blair

Coach
Did it for the masses? Not for me. To be fair, I don't tend to watch 930pm matches and I wasn't ever going to watch that one...so I dunno how it felt.

There was a massive buzz of goodwill and thrill around Sydney for it. The Wahs were back, for the final five minutes of the season.

Being on the prime-time Nine spot did the trick. Everyone was watching. Thank God SJ had decided to go and wasn't negotiating to go 'round again. He'd be on top-dollar again for sure.

We can move on now. This is a must.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I believe this has more to do with them not following his career closely enough and not knowing enough about the Warriors.

Yeah I think it's as simple as this. It's an over-correction by pundits who haven't followed his career closely. By having a great 2023 season and then an exciting retirement game, he's done enough to create a narrative of "veteran halfback still playing at a high level right till the end", for people who don't really watch Warriors games.

What I find interesting is that on the reddit NRL forum he is a demigod. He's basically a meme over there about how he's so good looking, so likeable, basically the perfect man etc etc. It's funny because in my experience (including this forum, and in real life) that's not at all how he's perceived. I wonder if it's a case of the reddit users being about 10 years or so younger on average than the LU users. It seems that people younger than Shaun, who grew up watching him, see him as sort of an unquestionable great of the game.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think it's potentially the generation viewpoint - there seems to be more sycophantic, all-encompassing love for teams and players, believing any criticism or viewpoint on their failings is for 'band wagon fans'. I see that so regularly on social media, although maybe that's the algorhythm.

Really, he's had one top-tier season (2023), I can't comment on the Sharks years, and other years where he wasn't in that category for whatever reason. Anyone can say why: injuries (2015 he was flying then broke his leg), poor coaching, ego, lack of quality around him etc.

Even now, he's still milking the glory. I saw on his podcast, they were ranking his biggest highlights in terms of god tier, iconic etc. We've moved on man

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The reddit simps did have a good point that we kinda forget though, that overall he’s been an absolute credit to the sport. Hes never had any off field trouble or scandals, dont think he’s ever been suspended, cant even recall him being cited. Literally the worst thing he’s done in a 14 year career is have a couple of minor sooks on social media. Plus he’s always fronted the media well, and probably been the most important kiwi player of the last decade in terms of raising the sport’s profile and attracting new fans.
he might have been inconsistent and frustrating to the warriors faithful on occasion but to the wider league community he’s been the face of Kiwi Rigby league for a decade and on the whole he’s shouldered that responsibility bloody well.

Blair

Coach
The reddit simps did have a good point that we kinda forget though, that overall he’s been an absolute credit to the sport. Hes never had any off field trouble or scandals, dont think he’s ever been suspended, cant even recall him being cited. Literally the worst thing he’s done in a 14 year career is have a couple of minor sooks on social media. Plus he’s always fronted the media well, and probably been the most important kiwi player of the last decade in terms of raising the sport’s profile and attracting new fans.
he might have been inconsistent and frustrating to the warriors faithful on occasion but to the wider league community he’s been the face of Kiwi Rigby league for a decade and on the whole he’s shouldered that responsibility bloody well.
In an interview with his father, years ago, he said Shaun always 'wanted to be a Warrior (as opposed to an All Black)' so that also got a big tick from me.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
lol Wow, real FIGJAM stuff there haha. Complete other end of the spectrum to a guy like Mannering who probably hates talking about himself
Yep but as much as we like the Mannerings of this world you kinda need both. As great a Warrior as Simon was, and I have utmost respect for the bloke, just retiring quietly the way he did means he doesn’t get to really contribute any more to the league community beyond his playing legacy.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yep but as much as we like the Mannerings of this world you kinda need both. As great a Warrior as Simon was, and I have utmost respect for the bloke, just retiring quietly the way he did means he doesn’t get to really contribute any more to the league community beyond his playing legacy.
Yep, plenty of ways to skin the cat. Matai for example retired and disappeared to the point he had to put a statement out saying he is fine, but league is done and he wants to move on from that part of his life completely. Not often you get someone so outwardly loving themselves though lol, Joey Johns calls himself “the eighth” but doesn’t really talk himself up that much. Benji is pretty humble. Not really the kiwi way of doing things, but that self confidence of harnessed the right way could be handy if passed on to young kids coming through

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep, plenty of ways to skin the cat. Matai for example retired and disappeared to the point he had to put a statement out saying he is fine, but league is done and he wants to move on from that part of his life completely. Not often you get someone so outwardly loving themselves though lol, Joey Johns calls himself “the eighth” but doesn’t really talk himself up that much. Benji is pretty humble. Not really the kiwi way of doing things, but that self confidence of harnessed the right way could be handy if passed on to young kids coming through
I get what you’re saying and I agree re it not really being the old-school Kiwi way, but I also think that whole humble at all costs thing doesn’t always help us, and can get downright toxic when we start getting all tall poppy about those who don’t fit that mould. As long as Shaun is being positive in his endeavours and not bagging others out I’m happy for him to do his thing, and it probably connects with the kids as you say.

Ha yep, look at the Play On socials.

They should've asked him WTF happened in the week after that England semi, and why the f**k did you guys feel you had the right to get on the Stillnox and Red Bulls before the WC final?

Also, lol @ him saying he was 19 during that Broncos game when he didn't debut until he was almost 21.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, I can't stand it. Hope he goes full time into halves coaching instead.
Honestly I’m not sure SJ is great coaching material, he was too much of an instinctive, naturally gifted player and that’s stuff you can’t coach. There’s an old adage in coaching, “mediocre athletes make great coaches”. It’s the guys who were naturally a bit plod and had to find ways to separate themselves from the rest to win by thinking that tend to make great coaches, not the super gifted athletes that it came naturally to.
I do think he’s got a great future in media if he wants one though.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Also, lol @ him saying he was 19 during that Broncos game when he didn't debut until he was almost 21.

I’m definitely the weird one when it comes to stuff like this, but it’s crazy to me how often players make mistakes like this when narrating their own lives. Another example is that I’ve always been interested in the progress of SBW’s career from leaving NZ to playing first grade, so I read his book - and there’s no coherent or consistent narrative of when things happened, what year it was, how old he was etc.

With SJ I find it staggering he could make that mistake given he aged out of under-20s and was playing NSW Cup that year because he was too old. How could he possibly have forgotten that?