What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skillfull Wingers

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
As far back as I can remmeber, our best wingers have been great finishers, but no one really stands out, who has the hand/feet skills, to be able to set up a try.

There is one though, who used to chip in at 5/8 and with skillfull hands or a deft kick, he could set a a try for the other winger.

Unfortunaltely, he never played Rugby League.

David Campese was a player who had thse qualities, and I dont think any rugby league winger has ever had the skills, that Camo had.

Opinions

OVP

Coach
Tidus_Raider said:
Amos Roberts

Id have to agree. Simply because of the fact that he's been used as a half this season. You have to have alot of skill to handle that position as well as the wing too.

Good call Tidus.

Blacklock, sorta. I remember the beautiful chip 'n chase he did against the Tigers a few years ago and he then raced 50m to score to win the game. He did the same then when he was playing Yawnion. Although this year his form is way down, but in his prime he was pretty damn skillful.

Roberts is the pick of the current bunch for sure.

Knightmare

Coach
Lol, skilful Winger aint no oxymoron. You need more skill to play there than in the front row, I can tell you! When I think of skilful Wingers, names like Boustead, Groethe, Ferguson and Blacklock come to mind.

Matt Geyer fills in at fullback, center, and 5/8 apart from playing at wing, I'd say he's skillful. At least on his prime, don't know about now. We won the final with him at 5/8. He certainly kicks better than Scott Hill! :lol:

I was about to say Geyer too. He has played every position in the backline for Melbourne, and last week even shifted to Hooker to cover Cam Smith when he hurt his wrist

Wests is Best

Juniors
Blacklock has done some amazing things on the field. The try against tigers as was mentioned earlier, a try he scored for the waratahs once, when he caught his own bomb was great, and the try he scored in the 99 grand final was awesome. Most exciting winger of the past 15 years I reckon.

I think the days of exciting wingers are dieing though. Salary cap restraints have left clubs not willing to spend too much on a winger, prefering to spend up on inside backs. Wingers job these days is just to finish the movement. Catch and put the ball down. If they can make an occaisional tackle, or kick goals, then they may pay more, but individual brilliance is not required.