What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky (again)

spear tackle

Juniors
You look at all the games where they let 16-18pts as a head start or gave up the same in the last few rounds, that was mainly fitness along with a lack of caring, however if they are being thrashed at pre-season to get the fitness up, along with another season under their belt for the youngsters and raw talent we could be pushing for a 5th or 6th finish and a home final

I hope you are right, even though 2012 was a season to forget I'm looking forward to kickoff in 2013.
I can only see improvement on the season just gone.
Getting back to Sky does anyone know if they are showing the world club challenge and any pre season trial games this year? That goes for any teams in the NRL.

Rich102

Staff member
I don't think they (Sky) have ever shown trial games. You might get a clip on the TV3 website.

ozbash

Referee
true, no Warriors trials but we get the charity shield and the aboriginies v the rest

MTV should show trials..

Diesel

Referee
It's be a lot cheaper to take 3 or 4 cameras and a commentary team and advertise it as such (camera lite) than to produce some of the other tv shows, that and the ratings they'll get from footy-starved fans in the off season makes it a no brainer

Micistm

Bench
Sky will have the NRL this year, make no bones about it. It's way too big biccies for them, and theres far more league fans around the country than just Warriors ones.

SilentOne

Juniors
However, the NRL may be forced to start the season without a new television deal in New Zealand as negotiations with Sky NZ drag on. Sky NZ chief executive John Fellet indicated he was confident of retaining the rights but Fairfax Media understands the NRL is considering a deal with a free-to-air broadcaster.

very interesting news, I'm assuming that it's Maori TV. I would love to see all Warriors home/away games on FTA TV and Live, but the only con for me would be that Maori tv isn't shown in HD.

Diesel

Referee
As long as it has the coverage nation wide the next thing they should be asking for is for games to be played at a decent time.

When I last lived in NZ, Prime was showing NRL games of only Warriors games after 11 at night. I remember the pitiful 2003 GF coverage as well and with a return for night GF's that means a pretty bad KO time for people in NZ

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
As long as it has the coverage nation wide the next thing they should be asking for is for games to be played at a decent time.

When I last lived in NZ, Prime was showing NRL games of only Warriors games after 11 at night. I remember the pitiful 2003 GF coverage as well and with a return for night GF's that means a pretty bad KO time for people in NZ

Yep sky IMO were extremely unfair to free to air League fans with the Prime TV times of NRL games. By all means riddle them with adverts, but FFS play them at reasonable family times. Pricks wouldn't dare try that sort of crap with the Rugby, and risk such an outcry political interference may come about (and who can forget the Minister of the time Maurice Williamson putting hand on heart and swearing kiwis who could not afford sky would never miss out on international games? Yet that's happened with so many codes apart from rugby).

But when it comes to the crunch, I do not see Sky letting the NRL go, despite trying to get a better deal. It's far too big a drawcard. They will cave in the end IMO, and we will foot the bill.

ozbash

Referee
MTV were showing the Manly games live last season.

What about this IGLOO thing, selective sports ? If it has NRL, S15 games as an option, sign me up !

Diesel

Referee
Showing Manly games live? What was the thought behind that? Is Manly still a well supported team in NZ?

Rambo1'

Juniors
Maybe they feel as though they don't have to advertise the nrl as everyone knows about it all ready, allowing them to promote and advertise the smaller stuff

Diesel

Referee
I think it's a given it'll be in Sky, but it'll be interesting to see what the FTA element will be. Anything on FTA at a decent time has to be good for the game

Latest posts