What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater and his errors

Western_Eel

Juniors
Id love to say hayne is the best No 1, But i would have slater any day, and i dont think stewart is at the same level, plus i dont think we will see him again anyway.

Azkatro

First Grade
Id love to say hayne is the best No 1, But i would have slater any day, and i dont think stewart is at the same level, plus i dont think we will see him again anyway.
I actually think that, provided Stewart stays out of the clink and Hayne doesn't get shot at, those two will be competing for the NSW #1 jersey next year (unless the foolish selectors pick Gidley again) and will be considered comfortably better fullbacks than anyone Queensland have got.

Loudstrat

Coach
Funny, I still cannot ever remember the classic cutie blinder, but seen plenty from Stewart, Slater, Bowen, Mini etc.

As I said, start worrying about mistakes, and blokes like Beetson, Mortimer and Reg Gasnier would never have been graded.

I'd much rather for out the hard earned to watch a thriller like Billy than a snore like cutie.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
As I said, start worrying about mistakes, and blokes like Beetson, Mortimer and Reg Gasnier would never have been graded.

Start expecting flashy brilliance from every player and blokes like Hindmarsh would be unknown's.

Slater is a fantastic fullback for the Storm. But not for Origin.

Shorty

Staff member
Pretty sure he's proven what he is for Origin.
His defence sh*ts all over Hunt's.
I don't think this argument will ever end until both retire but saying Slater isn't a fullback for Origin (when he's played quite a few games now and done nothing wrong) is crap.

Some people like the whole safer than sorry but it doesn't mean it's better.

Big Pete

Referee
It's not that Slater isn't up to it, it's just that Hunt's style seems better suited.

It really depends on the viewer really, I certainly feel secure with Hunt there though.

Shorty

Staff member
Hunt's goal line defence has always been very average.
I remember a couple of tries (one against the Dogs most recently) being scored because Hunt instead of a proper tackle, shoulder charged and it backfired.
But apparently, Slater makes the silly errors...:/

Loudstrat

Coach
And Slater will still be in the QLD side next year, making all those errors. cutie will be wowing them with his safety in Japanese Yawnion.

What justification is there to pick cutie in the Qld 1 jumper for Origin 3? Absolutely none.

Big Pete

Referee
Round 7 Loudy, watch it.

Even with one ankle Hunt was one of the better players on the field.

Loudstrat

Coach
Didn't think you'd have the balls to back up what you are implying, Frank.

So you assert cutie will be in the NRL in 2010. On of ya best :lol:

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Slater is the most overrated fullback in the competition. He makes good runs from kick returns every now and again however in defence he is hopeless (the attempted take of a bomb in last weeks origin) and makes terrible decisions in attack at times (last years world cup final). I could name numerous fullbacks who are safer at the back than Slater: Hunt, Boyd, Patten, Cambell. Its only Slaters ability to do freakish things every now and again that makes people forget the dumb things. Im a dragons supporter and would rather have Boyd than Slater any day of the week.

Last edited:

Latest posts