What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater face of Storm future - Re- signs for 3 years!!!

storm007

Juniors
Slater face of Storm future
Karl deKroo
08may04

BILLY "The Kid" Slater will call Melbourne home for at least the next three seasons after re-signing with Storm last night.

The 20-year-old try-scoring whiz is considered one of the hottest properties in rugby league. He was expected to attract huge interest from rival clubs had he entered the open market.
Slater told the Herald Sun last night he had never considered leaving Melbourne, and he was happy to have his future assured.

"There was never any pressure put on me, but I really felt like I owed it to Melbourne to stay," Slater said.

"The club and the coach (Craig Bellamy) gave me the opportunity to play at this level and there was no way I wanted to go anywhere else.

"I love it down here.

"It is a great club to be involved with. The players are like family and we all get on great, both on and off the field."

Former Storm skipper Robbie Kearns said Slater's signing was one of the most significant in the club's short history.

"We have all seen it, Billy is something special," Kearns said.

"Kids with his sort of talent don't come along every day and to know he has committed to Melbourne long term will do a lot for the future of the club.

"The game and particularly this club needs marquee players and Billy is one of them. He is exciting and people want to watch him play."

After bursting into first-grade last season, the former trackwork jockey from Innisfail in far north Queensland has taken all before him.

He was Storm's leading try scorer last season and the competition's rookie of the year in the eyes of most.

He has been selected in the preliminary State-of-Origin squad for Queensland, and higher honours appear a formality.

"He's an exciting young player and we know he still has a lot of improvement in him so he's just the sort of player we need here at the club," Bellamy said.

"When I first saw him I knew he was raw, but I just knew that he had something about him.

"What he did last year was tremendous, but he's certainly a more mature player physically this year and he's definitely a more mature player mentally. He is the kind of guy you can build a club around."

Slater received a significant pay rise to stay in Melbourne, but he said money was not a major factor.

"I just wanted to be part of what they are building down here," Slater said.

"I get on well with the coach and when he re-signed for three years I thought that was a really positive step.

"They have also re-signed a heap of young guys such as Cameron Smith, Ryan Hoffman and Matt King, and there is a really good core of senior guys as well.

"I think there are big things ahead for the club.

"I really believe we are a top-four side and we should be for a few years to come."

Slater admitted he had initially struggled to adapt to the Melbourne lifestyle, but he was happy to now call the city home.

"Coming down from Queensland I didn't really like it much at first, but it really grows on you," Slater said.

"The cold still gets to me a bit, but I really enjoy the lifestyle. I have started following the AFL a bit and I think the great thing is that you can live a fairly normal life here."

Normal for the moment, but there is no doubt that Slater's star is on the rise.

Storm has experienced a marked increase in memberships this season and many are ready to attribute the success to the arrival of the exuberant fullback.

Following the departure of Marcus Bai last season and the retirement of Robbie Ross, Slater is viewed as the future face of Storm.

"The boys like to give it to me a bit," Slater said.

"But I don't mind doing promotions and that sort of thing.

"I'm happy to do whatever it takes to lift the profile of Storm in Melbourne and of rugby league in Victoria."

Slater will be in action for Storm tonight when Melbourne meets the Sharks at Olympic Park.

Bellamy named former Storm halfback Brett Kimmorley as the player his side needs to stop if it is to bounce back from last week's loss to the Warriors.