What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater should be sin binned for taking a dive.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't think a tackled player should ever be able to benefit from the fact they went down easily in a tackle by getting a quick play the ball.
Actually the play the ball speed should always be the same.
The play the ball speed should not be the key to success in attack. If it is the game is unhealthy. The key to success should be great passing and strong running, skilful chip kicks etc.
The first philosophy of a tackle should be something like "if you got tackled you lost that contest". You don't get a benefit out of that. If you get brought down on first contact by one play you should be that players bitch. He should be able to use you as his puppet. He should be able to pick you up and slap your face like you insulted his mum.

Last edited:
Which is a great story. Doesn’t make the professional foul any less valid.

True.

The thing I don't get is the inconsistency from the Refs about when they allow a quick tap and when they don't, sometimes they let it happen, sometimes they pull the players up.
I understand the inside the ten rule, but it happens all over the feild.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Were is Bronwie when you need him.

The NRL won't do a thing to stop MEL. If they have a few disappointing years, you would see a few dire hard fans, a cow bell, lots of seagulls and very happy MEL Dragons crew.

Walpole

Juniors
I don't think a tackled player should ever be able to benefit from the fact they went down easily in a tackle by getting a quick play the ball.
Actually the play the ball speed should always be the same.
The play the ball speed should not be the key to success in attack. If it is the game is unhealthy. The key to success should be great passing and strong running, skilful chip kicks etc.
The first philosophy of a tackle should be something like "if you got tackled you lost that contest". You don't get a benefit out of that. If you get brought down on first contact by one play you should be that players bitch. He should be able to use you as his puppet. He should be able to pick you up and slap your face like you insulted his mum.
I kinda like the idea of the ref calling out "one on one" and the defender then giving the tackled player a clip over the ear.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I agree, I think it is a worse offence than what any player has actually been sin binned for the whole season.

Why isn't the media jumping up and down about it and making it an issue?
Probably because the NRL and media are cautious of tarnishing a future immortal! I say you cop what you deserve. Slaters fake dives are no different to cricketers tampering with the ball. It's simply cheating. Does Slater really think we can't see what he is doing!

dragons girl

Juniors
is this the new Melbourne tactic to gain advantage, if so this is not the first time Melbourne have come up with ways to win that are not in the spirit of the game
maybe the nrl should make an example of them stripping them of competition points for cheating and ban players involved
also make slater look like a goose,could tarnish his reputation
Did we really expect anything different from the storm?They introduced the grapple, chicken wing and now we have the dive.

dragons girl

Juniors
The NRL have to stamp this out as as soon as possible. I would hate to think that it could happen in a semi final or grand final and effect the outcome.

The media should be shaming Slater and Melbourne for it, but I know of at least one commentator, I think Greg Alexander who praised it and called it gamesmanship. I think it is very poor sportsmanship to say the least.

Slater is one of the most dirty players that I can remember. I remember early in his career, when he first stomped on someones face playing the ball. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't on purpose, but since then he has continued to be dirty on many occasions. I remember him lashing out with an elbow in a play the ball in an origin game, hitting Pearce and receiving a penalty for it, when he is the one who should have been penalised. I remember his leaping for a bomb and kicking an opposition player in the face. I remember him punching into Nightingale while another Melbourne player was holding Nightingale. I am sure others could add to my list of Slater using dirty tactics. Please do. Some call him Billy the Kid, I call him Billy the, well is starts with C and ends in T.
We all know melbourne are a law unto themselves.Slater is a grub but until the refs stop him doing this crap,melbourne will continue with it and get away with it.Chicken wing,grapple anyone?Took the nrl a long time to stop that crap. Id you have a look at the Dive against Cronulla you can a player in the back ground hold up his hands to indicate 10 in the bin.Joke all round melbourne having trouble winning within the rules make up ur own and cheat.

BennyV

Referee
True.

The thing I don't get is the inconsistency from the Refs about when they allow a quick tap and when they don't, sometimes they let it happen, sometimes they pull the players up.
I understand the inside the ten rule, but it happens all over the feild.
I believe it's dependant on the reason for the penalty. Penalties for off-side or markers not being square do not gain a quick tap. Holding down or interfering with the ruck/play the ball do.

2010Dragons

Bench
Silly Billy, Ref Cam Smith and to some extent JT are all protected specie.
They could form a new team the Koala bears and never get penalized. in any games.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes it's certainly a cats world down there at the Storm . Regardless of how many premierships they win , I still cannot see them ever being remembered as a great team like the Saints , Rabbitohs , Tigers etc.

They have brought a most unsavoury element into the game by their continual flouting of the rules , it was not necessary , as they have always had such tremendous players who were more than capable of winning matches and comps. by their sheer ability alone . A bit like pouring salt over ice-cream , it makes you want to vomit .

Brutalitops

Juniors
It's definitely a bad look.

Though Lachlan Fitzgibbon was correct to be sinbinned without the dive, he touched him. That just makes the dive even worse though

Gareth67

First Grade
The NRL should grow a set and get rid of the Melbourne scurge franchise its just more of the same crap from them. Have the done anything fair and square?

WA'S OWN RED V , not that I can recall bud , but there is one thing that they have done , and perhaps one of the hardest things imaginable, they have taken away Manly Waringah's title of the most hated team in rugby league .

Latest posts