What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater

gurudave

Juniors
I personally don't care so much if Hunt doesn't get the Australian spot because we can afford to play any of our quality fullbacks and still win any game without a doubt.

Queensland however, Hunt MUST be fullback and I have no doubt whatsoever the selectors will pick him. State of Origin is different and while I'm all for Slater to be in the side on the wing or off the bench, you don't change a winning side and Queensland is not the same team without Hunt.

Butters

Bench
Of course QLD wouldnt be the same team without Hunt, it'd be a much better team. Please tell me what else he provides to the team other than being solid, he's a hack of a player who never wouldve made it this far if he didnt play for the Broncos.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Of course QLD wouldnt be the same team without Hunt, it'd be a much better team. Please tell me what else he provides to the team other than being solid, he's a hack of a player who never wouldve made it this far if he didnt play for the Broncos.

Clearly you have no idea and are very ignorant. Hunt does much more than run the ball back straight. His positioning in defence is perfect, he organises the defensive line well, he has the ability to break the line and is consistently involved in attacking plays at the line that result in points. But I wouldn't expect you to notice this as you obviously are only watching the game when clearing kicks are made. How unfortunate for you.

But it's pointless to explain any of the above to you as you either have an agenda against him or are just very simple.

Butters

Bench
His positioning in defence is perfect
Doesnt mean anything when you cant make the tackle. And anywho what makes his defensive positioning far superior to Slaters? If anything Slaters is lightyears ahead of Hunts as he can make the tackle!
he organises the defensive line well
Just like any other fullback
he has the ability to break the line
And he's proven he can break the line in Origin when? Are you trying to say Slater cant break the line?
and is consistently involved in attacking plays at the line that result in points.
So because his team scores when theyre on attack its all because of Hunt? In case you havent noticed Slaters been setting up tries by himself from long and short range this year, he can even score them which is a rare occasion for Hunt.

Geohood

Bench
Stuff this 'Origin is a different game' talk - Slater is a better player than Hunt and probably the best player in the game at the moment as well so deserves to be there. Surely the best player in the game is good enough for origin.

hellteam

First Grade
theres no way we're going to win against you slater fans. hunt will be the fullback for origin 1. thast just the way it is. hes been part of the last 2 origin victories and he has a combination with lockyer. lockyer has said previously that if he was five eight at origin hunt is the one he would want for fullback.

we've won 2 years in a row. if it aint broke dont fix it. slater on the wing. he can always swap with hunt occasionally like inglis was last year

Shorty

Staff member
I find it really amusing that Hunt is treated like some god among men in Origin(when he's done nothing memorable at all) and Thurston is going to hand over his jumper to Scotty Prince despite being absolutely instrumental in the victories.

Broncos fans try and justify why Hunt deserves the spot,I'm yet to be convinced.
The supposed characteristics of Hunt's quality are what every first grade fullback should have(And at least three in the comp do have and actually attack as well,including Billy Slater who hopefully will be the Queensland fullback).

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Doesnt mean anything when you cant make the tackle. And anywho what makes his defensive positioning far superior to Slaters? If anything Slaters is lightyears ahead of Hunts as he can make the tackle!
Please reference some examples of Hunt's "inability to tackle". I'm waiting

Butters said:
Just like any other fullback
Except that Hunt did it better. That's why he was selected.

Butters said:
And he's proven he can break the line in Origin when? Are you trying to say Slater cant break the line?

So because his team scores when theyre on attack its all because of Hunt? In case you havent noticed Slaters been setting up tries by himself from long and short range this year, he can even score them which is a rare occasion for Hunt.

Please quote me where I have stated ANYWHERE that Hunt deserves to be rep fullback ahead of Slater.

You were the one who made the foolish statement about Hunt being a hack that would be no one without the Broncos. It astounds me the blinkers that some people have on when it comes to Hunt. He is a top class fullback and earned his rep jumpers. Some just can't seem to get over the fact that he was born in NZ but chose to play for QLD, or the fact that he wears a Broncos jersey.

Sad really. Almost pathetic.

Dazzat

First Grade
Flip a coin - Hunt tales, Slater heads.

Both great players ... I'd like to see Slater on the wing in rep footy this year, even though it's not the done thing anymore.

Pigskin

Juniors
No need to argue Slater vs Hunt ... room for both in my view

Hunt
Slater
Hodges
Inglis
Folau
Lockyer/Thurston
Thurston/Prince

Tate as back up

Can't think of another winger so all are accommodated quite nicely

As long as Queensland's forwards don't get massacred ... which they never do ... we all know this backline will not be stopped

Oink !

lotti

Bench
Billy's not a winger Mal made the mistake of putting a player where he doesn't normally play before when he put Steven Bell on the Wing, Dessie makes it constantly when he puts Lyon at 5/8th instead of in the centres and Slater ran rings around Hunt in round 4 so why would anyone select Hunt over Slater? Hunt has only been selected the past 2 years because QLD couldn't have Billy because of injury or suspension.

Hutty1986

Immortal
No need to argue Slater vs Hunt ... room for both in my view

Hunt
Slater
Hodges
Inglis
Folau
Lockyer/Thurston
Thurston/Prince

Tate as back up

Can't think of another winger so all are accommodated quite nicely

As long as Queensland's forwards don't get massacred ... which they never do ... we all know this backline will not be stopped

Oink !

Ahh the "mighty" Maroons... taking NSW players, NZ'ers, etc.. hows that for "passion" :lol:

Can't wait for the Blues to bring the shield home where it belongs this year

hellteam

First Grade
I find it really amusing that Hunt is treated like some god among men in Origin(when he's done nothing memorable at all) and Thurston is going to hand over his jumper to Scotty Prince despite being absolutely instrumental in the victories.

Broncos fans try and justify why Hunt deserves the spot,I'm yet to be convinced.
The supposed characteristics of Hunt's quality are what every first grade fullback should have(And at least three in the comp do have and actually attack as well,including Billy Slater who hopefully will be the Queensland fullback).

im WAY more of a qld fan then a broncos fan.

theres no way thurston will be dropped. he'll be there. you can hope all you want theres no point in aruging because billy slater is NOT going to be the qld fullback.

i cant really see him making it for the first game unless hes chosen on the wing but i have a feeling the qld selectors may stick with tate from last year. which i dont have a problem with.

1. hunt
2. tate
3. hodges
4. folau
5. inglis (inglis and folau can swap around if need be during the match)
6. lockyer
7. thurston

no need to change things unless we need to. except for folau cause bells past it. we'll see how we go in the first game. if not, get slater in there somewhere

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Ahh the "mighty" Maroons... taking NSW players, NZ'ers, etc.. hows that for "passion" :lol:

Pity the blues could only grab from Ireland, Samoa and Lebanon. Sucks to be a blue.

Shorty

Staff member

I see Mr Mateo,from Tonga,is expected to front for the Blues.
:roll:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Pity the blues could only grab from Ireland, Samoa and Lebanon. Sucks to be a blue.

LOL, players like Ricketson you mean? Because his career playing for Ireland was long and prosperous wasn't it? :lol:

Slightly different than having your gun centre from NSW and your probable long term fullback from NZ

The selections you speak of were one-offs, not comparable to the continual breaking of the rules by the dirty toads

Latest posts