What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
From watching the highlights reel of Slater on Friday night. I've found his attacking style looks like Brett Mullins in his prime. Making something from nothing and fabulous kick returns.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slater is better than Mullins.

Mullins had a swerve, he went around people with sheer pace.

Slater has a huge step, he runs the ball back at pace, something that not many fullbacks do, and the ones who do, don't do it anywhere near as often.

Slater is above most fullbacks at present form. And to be honest the most impressive aspect of his game this season is his one on one defence. He used to clutch at the shoulders or head of an opponent and very rarely made the tackle, now his technique is spot on and his effectiveness when tackle has improved immensely.

Defence wasn't something Mullins was too good with.

Billigan

Juniors
slater is playing awsome footy right now and if he keeps it up it will be good for queensland

Pigskin

Juniors
Slater is in a world of his own atm .... the speed he returns the footy must make his forwards so happy ... a few wingers and fullbacks that could learn a lot from the speed he returns the ball include Boyd, Nightingale, Burt, Kenny-Dowell ... some of these dead-set dawdle

Personally I rate Kidley #2, Hunt #3, Stewart #4 and Bowen #5 of the fullbacks

Miniciello would probly slot in somewhere if he stayed on the field for any length of time

Oink !

keeney

First Grade
Slater is phenomenal, the most impressive FB in the NRL so far this year, but I wouldn't trade Kidley for the world.

lotti

Bench
slater is playing awsome footy right now and if he keeps it up it will be good for queensland
QLD selectors would be idiots not to select him, Mal if he has any influence will be tooting Billy's horn, he was at the Storm/Broncos game.

lotti

Bench
pity the Storm doesn't have a Bye before an Origin, we've got one after Origin 2 and before the test.

greenhat

Juniors
They miss their club game the weekend before origin to go into origin training camp.

They do usually play for their club in the round immediately after origin though.

Danish

Referee
Slater is playing some great football at the moment (although I cant see how his 2nd try wasn't a sheppard... running backwards to go behind one of your own players is pretty clear cut).

Thing is, he was playing great footy before his SOO call up last time, and short of an offside try he was useless, particularly in SOO3 that year.

He is also a headstomping piece of sh*t cat, and shouldn't be anywhere near a SOO field which is made for real men (which funnily enough is why Gallen shouldnt be picked either)

Shorty

Staff member
Danish,you have to realise that these players come into league at a young age and actually do need to do some growing up.
I feel that Slater has done that and is maturing nicely.

I'd love for Slater to be at fullback for Queensland this year,probably won't happen though.

Danish

Referee
Yeah yeah maturity and growing up and all that....

He is a dirty head stomping merkin and will always be a dirty head stomping merkin. Not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as any number of great fullbacks from over the years who for one reason or another never dug the studs into another player's scone.

I hope he plays for QLD this year too. I still have fond memories of fitzy and hindmarsh dumping the weed onto his back on his first hit up in SOO3, he went missing for the next 78 minutes.

Although with Bellamy coaching NSW Slater will undoubtedly not get the same treatment if selected this year.

Dazzat

First Grade
Yeah yeah maturity and growing up and all that....

He is a dirty head stomping merkin and will always be a dirty head stomping merkin. Not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as any number of great fullbacks from over the years who for one reason or another never dug the studs into another player's scone.

I hope he plays for QLD this year too. I still have fond memories of fitzy and hindmarsh dumping the weed onto his back on his first hit up in SOO3, he went missing for the next 78 minutes.

Although with Bellamy coaching NSW Slater will undoubtedly not get the same treatment if selected this year.

Those suspensions last year were the best thing to happen to Slater ... he's obviously learnt from his mistakes. Trust you have some nice sauces to put on these words above, because you'll be eating them come SOO time.

And I can just hear Bellamy in the NSW dressing room saying, "OK boys, when Billy Slater has the ball be gentle ..." Please ... get real!

Skram

Juniors
He's outplayed both the incumbent and, uh, former incumbent Australian fullbacks and is playing some of the best footy in the entire NRL, I don't see how he can't not be the Aus #1.

Latest posts