What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sliding Doors - What if the Storms never existed

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I've been thinking. What would it have meant for the Eels if Melbourne had never come into the comp? It could be argued that their entry has had the biggest impact on our club both directly (losing 7 times to them in finals matches) and indirectly (what if Inglis, Smith, Cronk and Slater all played for different clubs?). How many comps would we have won? If we won in 2009, would the flow on effects of that mean we didn't need to cheat the cap in the cap in 2015/16 to get out of our deep deep hole? Would Criag Bellamy have coached us instead? I find it interesting to ponder, however pointless. What do you all think?

strider

Post Whore
Maybe more a case of what if the merkins bellamy and smith never existed .... tbh i think that club is average without them .... and ontop of that the NRL paved the road for them to be successful because they needed a presence in melbourne

We might have had another premiership or 2 ... i think the early to mid 2000s we got f**ked over by melbourne getting away with murder

But it is what it is

parra pete

Referee
If we like the Storm ...We would be the most successful Club in NRL....but also the grubbiest. We would have introduced dangerous tactics like chicken wing and crusher, ear twisting, drop and flop, and other wrestling tactics designed to injure or maim..We would have a Club with outstanding 'eye for talent' and the ability to turn a 'sow's ear' into a silk purse.
I'd rather the Eels be as they are now. Winning is important, but trying to win, and giving your best every time is more "importanter"..Watching players like King Gutho, Junior Paulo,Nathan Brown, Reed Mahoney, Maika Sivo, Mitchell Moses, Dylan Brown, and a clean Jenko gave me plenty to like in 2020 - a season I found most enjoyable.
"More fun in 21".....

Avenger

Immortal
If we like the Storm ...We would be the most successful Club in NRL....but also the grubbiest. We would have introduced dangerous tactics like chicken wing and crusher, ear twisting, drop and flop, and other wrestling tactics designed to injure or maim..We would have a Club with outstanding 'eye for talent' and the ability to turn a 'sow's ear' into a silk purse.
I'd rather the Eels be as they are now. Winning is important, but trying to win, and giving your best every time is more "important"..Watching players like King Gutho, Junior Paulo, Nathan Brown, Reed Mahoney, Maika Sivo, Mitchell Moses, Dylan Brown, and a clean Jenko gave me plenty to like in 2020 - a season I found most enjoyable.
"More fun in 21".....
Great post, Pete.