What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slip Slop Slap

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm barely breathing right now because another one of my dear friends has been left dead with metastatic melanoma. Get your skin checked and your scalp. Cover yourself in sunscreen, wear a hat. RIP Melinda.

Sorry for your loss Drag Queen...Thinking of you during this time. Sometimes words seem so ineffective but I offer my sincerest condolences to you, your family and the others who are grieving for the loss of a loved one.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Thoughts are with you, DQ.

As youngster, I played outside all the time.
As an teenager, I still played outside and surfed, all the time.
Now in my adult years, as a builder who has worked outside for many years.

I had a tiny little spot not unlike a small blackhead on the side of my nose for about 18 months.
It started to crater a little and got a tad sore to touch.

Test results showed l had a BCC cancer spot.
A simple non life threatening spot ............. with the exception that if left long enough, it could grow roots that could attach themselves to organs. Only then could it be dangerous.

Well, you can see how far down the roots grew ....................... ( see image attached )

Now, at this stage, no one was aware of the length of the roots. I had a local GP do a test which came back, positive.

I could of had the procedure done at my local GP but my having seen some results done to other people, I thought no way. ( no disrespect to our local GP's ) .......... I discussed it further with my wife.

Luckily, my wife works in a pharmacy and she told how many older people come in, saying that they have to keep going back to get more cut out because they hadn't got it all the first time round.

I went to see a not just plastic surgeon but a cosmetic surgeon, who would triple stitch the opening, hence getting a best possible finish thereafter. It wasn't cheap ( about $4,500 ).

Full surgery with half a dozen people around, testing each piece they take out, in the end, getting the best result for myself.

The scar now has fully healed and you have to look really hard to notice anything on this ugly mug of mine.

Normally, I wouldn't show my identity on a forum but after what DQ has said and what l had done, if it means prompting someone to get a check up, it's well worth it.

Take care people, as DQ said ........... Get it checked out, asap!
JP Face001.jpg

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
Sorry for your loss Drag Queen...Thinking of you during this time. Sometimes words seem so ineffective but I offer my sincerest condolences to you, your family and the others who are grieving for the loss of a loved one.
Get the word out there. We're blessed living with sunshine but I always tell my husband's kids to pile on the sunscreen. Unfortunately it isn't a guarantee. I had a young ward clerk who only made her 21st birthday. If anyone is interested go to the Amie StClair site.

Gareth67

First Grade
Very sad to hear D.Q. , very sad . As said it is a disease that takes it seed during our youth , unbeknownst to us , whilst we are enjoying the Australian sun in one form or another and usually hits us much later in life. Have worn a hat for decades now when outside but visit my doctor for checks .

Drag Queen

Bench
Sorry to hear of your loss DQ at this time of year especially. My mum passed away when I was 14 in 78 from a mole let go too long 7 years earlier. Checked annually DQ...but boy I spent my late teens, early 20's playing cricket and golf in summer, no hat, no blockout, NFI back then.
Bloody hell mate. You lost your Mum way too early. I did too, although through lung cancer. She was super young. This is a pretty morbid post. Feel free to delete this post Mods.

BLM01

First Grade
Keeping this thread on the lighter side of things thinking of being sensible in this sun just come back from an early morning body bash at Wollongong main beach. Big waves, dumped twice, water temperature beautiful, blue bottles everywhere, walked along the beach past WIN Stadium thinking I will be sitting there shortly voicing my opinion, bloody hot day here and back out of the sun already. :cool:. Time to keep cool, might go back for a swim before dusk.
Enjoy your day all especially if subject to this current heat wave..phew

Gareth67

First Grade

I had a tiny little spot not unlike a small blackhead on the side of my nose for about 18 months.

A simple non life threatening spot ............. with the exception that if left long enough, it could grow roots that could attach themselves to organs. Only then could it be dangerous.

Well, you can see how far down the roots grew ....................... ( see image attached )

Now, at this stage, no one was aware of the length of the roots. I had a local GP do a test which came back, positive.

I could of had the procedure done at my local GP but my having seen some results done to other people, I thought no way. ( no disrespect to our local GP's ) .......... I discussed it further with my wife.

Luckily, my wife works in a pharmacy and she told how many older people come in, saying that they have to keep going back to get more cut out because they hadn't got it all the first time round.

I went to see a not just plastic surgeon but a cosmetic surgeon, who would triple stitch the opening, hence getting a best possible finish thereafter. It wasn't cheap ( about $4,500 ).

Full surgery with half a dozen people around, testing each piece they take out, in the end, getting the best result for myself.

The scar now has fully healed and you have to look really hard to notice anything on this ugly mug of mine.

Normally, I wouldn't show my identity on a forum but after what DQ has said and what l had done, if it means prompting someone to get a check up, it's well worth it.

View attachment 25849

Geeze mate you certainly been through the wars , but you come across as having a good outlook on life - keep it going OKB1 . By the way , I hope that your better looking now after the comestic surgery . :innocent:

View attachment 25849
So glad you got that all sorted mate.

Drag Queen

Bench

View attachment 25849
Dude, you are hot. I thought I was looking at Mickey Rourke before his disastrous plastic surgery. Cheers for sharing. Hubba hubba Xxx

Drag Queen

Bench
A swollen nose and a puffy eye ..... sounds like Micky Rourke alright!
All the best to you.
A swollen nose and a puffy eye ..... sounds like Micky Rourke alright!
All the best to you.
Right back at you OKB. Change of subject. How bloody good are Hard Ciders and Pat Cummins. Yes, I'm getting a little bit pissed today and I'm enjoying the cricket. My deceased Nana would be so proud :p

Splinters

Juniors
While people certainly should avoid getting burnt, we also shouldn't make a fetish of avoiding sunlight unless you are supplementing with D3.

Sunlight (D3) is very important for your health. An optimal amount of sunlight would be about 4 hours a week or, as I say, you could supplement with D3.

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is not in fact a vitamin at all but is what is known as a "pro-hormone" and plays a role in making "free testosterone" in the blood available for use. Bear that in mind if you are having trouble sleeping or feel lethargic or are not getting your morning boner.

The following is quoted from the mayoclinic.org:

Research on vitamin D use for specific conditions shows:
  • Cancer. Research suggests that vitamin D, especially when taken with calcium, might help prevent certain cancers.
  • Cognitive health. Early research suggests that vitamin D might play a role in cognitive health. In one small study of adults age 60 years and older being treated for dementia, researchers found that taking a vitamin D supplement helped improve cognitive function.
  • Inherited disorders. Vitamin D supplements can be used to help treat inherited disorders resulting from an inability to absorb or process vitamin D, such as familial hypophosphatemia.
  • Multiple sclerosis. Research suggests that long-term vitamin D supplementation reduces the risk of multiple sclerosis.
  • Osteomalacia. Vitamin D supplements are used to treat adults with severe vitamin D deficiency, resulting in loss of bone mineral content, bone pain, muscle weakness and soft bones (osteomalacia).
  • Osteoporosis. Studies suggest that people who get enough vitamin D and calcium in their diets can slow bone mineral loss, help prevent osteoporosis and reduce bone fractures.
  • Psoriasis. Applying vitamin D or a topical preparation that contains a vitamin D compound called calcipotriene to the skin can treat plaque-type psoriasis in some people.
  • Rickets. This rare condition develops in children with vitamin D deficiency. Supplementing with vitamin D can prevent and treat the problem.
Without vitamin D your bones can become soft, thin and brittle. Insufficient vitamin D is also connected to osteoporosis and some types of cancer. If you don't get enough vitamin D through sunlight or dietary sources, you might need vitamin D supplements